• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • homeless simpson
    Registered Charger Fan
    • Jun 2013
    • Send PM

Trading picks isn't a bad plan. it's only bad if the player you traded up for makes little impact and/or you don't hit on the other picks you had left. in this regard, our 2014 draft wasnt good due to us loosing a pick from trading then having the other picks not even make the roster.

Comment

• bonehead
      Undrafted
      • Jul 2013
      • TBD
      • Retired
      • Send PM

Originally posted by KNSD View Post
      The current setup for the draft is boring as hell btw. It was better when it was a marathon on the weekend.
      I agree 100%....I love the NFL Draft and even the new "Goodell" configuration can't ruin it for me but I am so glad I have those memories of the marathon Saturday and Sunday drafts with rankings and cheatsheets and draft mags strewn about the living room.

those days are gone forever.
      Forget it Donny you're out of your element

Shut the fuck up Donny

Comment

• Viejo Bolt
        Registered Charger Fan
        • Jun 2013
        • Send PM

Originally posted by Den60 View Post
        RB, trade up to get him, LT was his childhood idol, issues with fumbling, not a good pass blocker, can't catch. I dunno, sounds a bit familiar for some reason.
        catching passes, the Chargers traded up to get a player who they feel is well-rounded.

From Twitter: Telesco on Gordon: "He's got size, he's got speed. He can pass-protect, he can catch the ball."

From Acee on Twitter: #Chargers didn't go OL in first round, but Tom Telesco said they got the best pass protecting RB in the draft.

Comment

• Den60
          Registered Charger Fan
          • Jun 2013
          • Send PM

Originally posted by Viejo Bolt View Post
          Huh?

“Running backs are a big part of this game still,” Telesco explained. These guys are going to handle the ball and if the talent’s there, they’re going to go (off the board). To find a guy like him who’s a playmaker at that position who also has size and speed and can protect the passer…he does that extremely well.

From Chargers.com: The team was also attracted to his versatility as Gordon is a jack of all trades. Whether it’s running through defenders or catching passes, the Chargers traded up to get a player who they feel is well-rounded.

From Twitter: Telesco on Gordon: "He's got size, he's got speed. He can pass-protect, he can catch the ball."

From Acee on Twitter: #Chargers didn't go OL in first round, but Tom Telesco said they got the best pass protecting RB in the draft.
          Just going by the scouting reports which say that his pass catching and pass blocking skills need work.

Comment

• Originally posted by Viejo Bolt View Post
            Huh?

“Running backs are a big part of this game still,” Telesco explained. These guys are going to handle the ball and if the talent’s there, they’re going to go (off the board). To find a guy like him who’s a playmaker at that position who also has size and speed and can protect the passer…he does that extremely well.

From Chargers.com: The team was also attracted to his versatility as Gordon is a jack of all trades. Whether it’s running through defenders or catching passes, the Chargers traded up to get a player who they feel is well-rounded.

Don't you know by now that Den is head & shoulders above Telesco when it comes to drafting and being GM? Come on man.

Comment

• Bolt-O
              Administrator
              • Jun 2013
              • Send PM

Originally posted by Geezbolt View Post
              IMO, this is more than enough justification for moving up. As Fleet mentioned in another thread, the picks we gave up were right in line with what the value chart said it costs to move up from 17 to 15. Sure, I would have liked them to stay at 17 and still have gotten Gordon. I believe though that there were rumblings of not only Houston's interest in him but interest by several other teams willing to trade with them at 16 to pick Gordon. Everyone knew the Bolts would take him at 17 if he was still there.
              Yeah, him being the last of the 7 impact players remaining forced them to strike, even if the Niners and Texans ultimately picked players that weren't going to be as helpful. Houston trading down makes sense there, going down to Dallas's spot. I still hate trade ups, and the last two picks that TT did that for haven't yet justified that, due to their injuries. At least with Gordon, vs. Gurley, there shouldn't be an initial worry about recovery after an injury, and a slow start.

Comment

• bonehead
                Undrafted
                • Jul 2013
                • TBD
                • Retired
                • Send PM

Just cherry picking scouting reports which say that his pass catching and pass blocking skills need work.
                fixed it
                Forget it Donny you're out of your element

Shut the fuck up Donny

Comment

• Den60
                  Registered Charger Fan
                  • Jun 2013
                  • Send PM

Originally posted by Boltx View Post
                  I share some of your concerns.

I like the player. He seems like a good kid and the production will be there. The Tomlinson comparisons are premature at best and borderline ridiculous at this point. But I understand the emotion and excitement.

My opinion has always been that RB....in today's NFL...is probably the least important position on offense. I'm not saying you trot out any schmuck, but I'm not sure if a trade up in the first round is warranted either. JMO...but I would have taken our chances with sitting at #17 or even entertaining a trade down. I agree with Den60 that I've noticed that the teams that in recent years have made early pushes for RB are those that feel they are close to contending. It just seems like a luxury position IMO.

Den....your last line was the most important, I think.

Again...just my opinion...not trying to rain on anybody's parade. I think Gordon will be an exciting player for us. If he simply stays healthy he will easily eclipse any RB production we've had the last few years.
                  Obviously the emphasis was on keeping Rivers happy here, and without a starting RB he would have been exposed a lot more. I don't really like taking RBs early and I don't like trading picks to move up unless your that player away from winning the big game. He should make the offense better (or at least as good as when it was when Matthews was healthy) but RBs have a shorter lifespan in the NFL than other positions.

Of course, if the Chargers leave for LA then I really don't care if they suck in a couple of years. Actually, I'm kinda hoping they do.

Comment

• Viejo Bolt
                    Registered Charger Fan
                    • Jun 2013
                    • Send PM

Obviously the emphasis was on keeping Rivers happy here, and without a starting RB he would have been exposed a lot more. I don't really like taking RBs early and I don't like trading picks to move up unless your that player away from winning the big game. He should make the offense better (or at least as good as when it was when Matthews was healthy) but RBs have a shorter lifespan in the NFL than other positions.
                    I'm usually of the mindset as well that serviceable RBs can be found in later rounds. And I don't like the fumble stats this kid brings. But what ultimately sways me is the mind-boggling per carry stat. In major college football, he AVERAGED 7.8 yards per carry! I don't care how good his line supposedly was (not even sure how good it was), that stat just jumps off the page. Obviously he won't repeat that in the pros, but I'll bet he averages more than 5 YPC assuming the line is worth a shit.

Comment

• Den60
                      Registered Charger Fan
                      • Jun 2013
                      • Send PM

Originally posted by Bearded14YourPleasure View Post
                      Issues with fumbling? That's 90% of college RB, and Gurley had way more issues with it. LT had fumbling issues coming out of college, so did AP. Gordon can catch, just didn't get asked to do it a lot at Wisconsin. He can learn from one of the best in Woodhead while he perfects it. He can pass block, again just wasn't asked to do it that much, but this is a problem most RB have coming out of college.

You're quick to point out the 'flaws' but don't acknowledge the tremendous skill set he has. Played in 41 straight games, no major injury history, set a college record for YPC over his career while teams had 8-9 people in the box consistently. Great vision, makes people miss in space, breaks tackles. The most important things we need at the RB position is someone that can stay healthy and can run the ball effectively. Those are the things Gordon brings to the team.
                      I've seen comparisons to Jamal Charles. Has better than average speed and accelerates well. Good vision but is sometimes too patient. Like I said, RB was a need but I'm not a fan of taking a RB in the first. If he stays healthy and he produces in the NFL commensurate with his college production then he makes the offense better. But the scouting reports also give the bad with the good. If he can catch and pass block then he is more than a two down back. If he cant then he is a bit like Mathews, though with more big play ability. One thing I mentioned is that I like unpredictability on offense. If you have a RB that isn't well rounded in the passing game then defenses can gear more towards the run when he is in. The proof will be when we see him against NFL competition on the field.

Comment

• Coachmarkos
                        Registered Charger Fan
                        • Jun 2013
                        • SoDak
                        • Technology Director
                        • Send PM

I agree with this, Den.

But he was WAY more productive than Jamal Charles was in college. (actually he was WAY more productive than just about anyone, ever was, in college)
                        "...of course that's just my opinion, I could be wrong."

Comment

• Faded blues
                          Registered Charger Fan
                          • Aug 2013
                          • Send PM

Too me, we finally have a player that can take it to the house. A difference maker. We did not have that last year at all.

Now go oline then dline and fly the jet home.

Comment

Working...
                          X