Collapse
First Prev Next Last

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Lightningwill_420

Originally posted by Steve View Post
    I'm not saying he won't be gone at some point, but considering he will cost us some cap space next year (as well as this year), and we don't have any depth at ILB if we do cut him, then I don't see the point in cutting him now. Let him be a camp body and then cut him if he is still sucking ass.

I don't remember much about the Lions game, but at some point you need to let players celebrate their individual accomplishments. I don't recall the circumstance, but 1 time seems like you might be overreacting. I don't recall a bunch of other circumstances where this has been the case. One lapse in judgment, particularly on his last contract makes it old news, IMHO. Once we signed him to a new contract, you can hardly go bitching about what he had done before. Clearly the Chargers didn't think it was a big deal.

As far as him sucking the life out of the other LB, I don't think that is the case. The bigger issue to me is that we need 1 of our top 4 LB to prove they can play in the nickle/dime LB. Butler has the best speed and range. Perryman is a lot slower in terms of long speed. Conner sucks in coverage and Teo has to prove he can stay healthy. We aren't going to be able to find anyone who has the physical skills to stand up in coverage on passing downs, we need to give Butler a chance. And it would probably help if we stop flipping him back and forth between Mo and Mike.
    Clearly the Chargers were wrong. We shouldn't have re-signed Butler.

Comment

• Steve
      Administrator
      • Jun 2013
      • South Carolina
      • Meteorologist
      • Send PM

It depends on if he turns out to be the 3 down LB we thought he was going to become or not.

To me the Lions game was not a big issue. I was also not as concerned with his injury history.

His big issue to me was that even in the seasons he played "well" he still left a lot of plays on the field. Missed tackles, missed sacks, dropped int. A lot of plays that could have been a huge impact, and he was in position to make them, then didn't. But right now, we are in desperate need of a 3 down LB who can be on the field and cover in the nickle and dime. Perryman is not the type of guy you want as a dime LB, because he lacks long speed. Teo is another more quick then fast type. Butler has that speed, but obviously has made too many mistakes the last year. I don't see any harm in brining him back, and seeing if he can recapture the old form.

If we cut him now, we are 100% out the money in his contract, and we won't find a 3 down LB to replace him. If we don't cut him, we can still do it later if he continues to suck. And if he does play well, which is not exactly unheard of, then we have the 3 down LB we have to have in our dime.

But about half the teams in the league are looking for an every down LB, so it's not like there are that many out there. And with so few college offenses playing pro offenses, it is having a very poor impact on everydown, pro style ILB. There is a real shortage of good LB these days.

Comment

• Sec-E4
        Registered Charger Fan
        • Sep 2014
        • Arizona
        • Send PM

I think people are jumping the Gun on Butler a little to soon..This season will show what kind of player he truely is. Corey Liuget went through the same scrutiny a few seasons ago and it turned out that he was playing injured.

Some how members here are already making plans to dump him or are assuming he's not going to have a place on this team.

Comment

• Lightningwill_420

Originally posted by Sec-E4 View Post
          I think people are jumping the Gun on Butler a little to soon..This season will show what kind of player he truely is. Corey Liuget went through the same scrutiny a few seasons ago and it turned out that he was playing injured.

Some how members here are already making plans to dump him or are assuming he's not going to have a place on this team.
          Liuget doesn't have a history of missing games due to injury.
          Liuget has never been caught celebrating while our team was being blown out in a do-or-die game.
          We don't have anybody who could replace Liuget if we cut him.

Comment

• blueman
            Registered Charger Fan
            • Jun 2013
            • Send PM

Butler "returning to form" is kinda, well, meh. He's always been about potential, never really realized it, at least not how I wanted him to. He doesn't need to return to form to keep his spot on our roster, IMO he needs to start making all those difference-making plays he leaves on the field. Otherwise he's no better than any subpar ILB (and I'd be very interested in trying out, oh, maybe a street signing, cuz can't suck much worse than Butler, whom the Chargers do indeed think needs to ride pine judging by how they reduced his minutes/role late last season...then drafted another ILB high, I mean for a position not that important these days, TT has used two - no three picks to bring in new ILB blood when Butler should be having his best seasons).

Comment

• bonehead
              Undrafted
              • Jul 2013
              • TBD
              • Retired
              • Send PM

Forget it Donny you're out of your element

Shut the fuck up Donny

Comment

• RTPbolt
                Charger Fan till the end
                • Jun 2013
                • North Carolina
                • Send PM

Originally posted by Engine Engine Number 420 View Post
                Liuget doesn't have a history of missing games due to injury.
                Liuget has never been caught celebrating while our team was being blown out in a do-or-die game.
                We don't have anybody who could replace Liuget if we cut him.
                I don't really agree 420 on celebrations....If your team is down and you get an important sack that could help turn a game and inspire your team that you are not out of it...celebration is ok. We had plenty of comeback games and all it takes is a few important stops and plays to change the whole momentum.

That said I think Butler is on the warning radar....he should come in ready to battle. We should have some depth now which is a good thing. I think Perrymen will get plenty of snaps in the rotation and will bring some much needed thumping capability to the LB core. I am not ruling Butler out....I think he knows he needs to improve from last year....he now has a guy right behind him that will push him. I expect good things from him this year.

Comment

• Lightningwill_420

Originally posted by RTPbolt View Post
                  I don't really agree 420 on celebrations....If your team is down and you get an important sack that could help turn a game and inspire your team that you are not out of it...celebration is ok. We had plenty of comeback games and all it takes is a few important stops and plays to change the whole momentum.

That said I think Butler is on the warning radar....he should come in ready to battle. We should have some depth now which is a good thing. I think Perrymen will get plenty of snaps in the rotation and will bring some much needed thumping capability to the LB core. I am not ruling Butler out....I think he knows he needs to improve from last year....he now has a guy right behind him that will push him. I expect good things from him this year.
                  We were losing 24-0 in the 3rd quarter. Butler did a stupid look-at-me dance after a sack - not a rah-rah Junior Seau bit of encouragement for the team.

Y'all can go about supporting that. I can't. It told me how much winning means to Butler.

That doesn't mean he's a bad dude. I mean, in real life, we all go to work as a means of making money - not to try to win for our company. But, in football, the players I want on the Chargers - those guys are about victories. You're not going to see Brandon Flowers or Melvin Ingram doing a dance while we're getting torched in a do-or-die game.

Comment

Working...
                  X