Break down: Why Melvin Gordon is not a product of a historically great Wisconsin line

Collapse
X
Collapse
First Prev Next Last

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Wheels
    Registered Charger Fan
    • Jun 2013
    • San Diego
    • Send PM

There's a huge gap between Matthews and LT. I think Bearded was just saying it's unrealistic to expect any draft pick to become an LT type player. I'm hoping he's somewhere between Matthews and LT, and hopefully closer to LT.

Comment

• richpjr
      Registered Charger Fan
      • Jun 2013
      • Nashville
      • Send PM

This line from that article should give you hope he'll be closer to LT:

According to ESPN Stats & Information, Gordon finished with 35 rushes of 20 yards or longer in his final season at Wisconsin, nine more than any other Football Bowl Subdivision player in a single season in the last decade.

Comment

• Boltjolt
        Dont let the PBs fool ya
        • Jun 2013
        • Henderson, NV
        • Send PM

Originally posted by floydefisher View Post
        If all he turns out to be is another Ryan Matthews, then why not just resign Matthews, and use the draft pick on a guard?

That will be the thinking of an entire city if this doesn't pan out.

I honestly hope Telesco is right, but right now I am wondering if my faith in him is going to be justified.
        I think Gordon at least with his style is more elusive than Mathews but if he is Mathews with durabilty then hec id take that. He already seems to be a better pass protector on video.

Comment

• Charged up
          Registered Charger Fan
          • Jun 2013
          • Send PM

Serious skills. He's a beast. Size and speed. Funny people are comparing him to Jamaal Charles. I think the number is the only thing in common. IMO Adrian Peterson comes to mind

Look at their comparisons.

Peterson: 6'1, 217lbs, 4.4 40, Collage totals: yds - 4041, Ave ypc - 5.7, TD's - 41 Combine: Vert Jump 38.5
          Gordon: 6'1, 215lbs, 4.5 40, Collage totals: yds - 4812, Ave ypc - 7.8, TD's - 45 Combine: Vert Jump 35

After watching highlights I think Flash looks quicker and more fluid. He's going to be fun to watch.

Comment

• gilmore
            Registered Charger Fan
            • May 2015
            • Send PM

One thing about Gordon, he doesn't have a lot of wear on his tires. He was only the feature back for one year in the Wisconsin offense. Before that he split time with Montee Ball and James White. And even last year, he had a very able backup in Corey Clement who had quite a few carries (seriously our offense at UW had NO PASSING GAME). He had 30 or more carries in a game only a few times. So knock on wood, he's healthy and has his best running years ahead of him.

Comment

• RobH
              Registered Charger Fan
              • Jun 2013
              • Tokyo, Japan
              • University English Lecturer
              • Send PM

Originally posted by gilmore View Post
              One thing about Gordon, he doesn't have a lot of wear on his tires. He was only the feature back for one year in the Wisconsin offense. Before that he split time with Montee Ball and James White. And even last year, he had a very able backup in Corey Clement who had quite a few carries (seriously our offense at UW had NO PASSING GAME). He had 30 or more carries in a game only a few times. So knock on wood, he's healthy and has his best running years ahead of him.
              Welcome aboard. We've got a great group here. I hope you will enjoy talking Bolts football with us for a long time.

Comment

• RTPbolt
                Charger Fan till the end
                • Jun 2013
                • North Carolina
                • Send PM

IMO if he ends up like Mathews, less the injury plagued seasons, I'd be ecstatic. Mathews healthy was a difference maker...we excelled when he was in with his edge speed and ability to hit the hole hard. We get Mathews like production that quick out of Gordon and we'll be heading to the playoffs for sure. We just need to get out of the 3 yds/carry of last year. I think Gordon is going to be a weapon that improves as the season goes. Keep it simple and add in the passing/screen game more and more and he's going to start causing major headaches. He may be our best defense by enabling the TOP advantage we had when Mathews was healthy two years back....we can dominate teams like Seattle with that...we can go far if Gordon pans out.

Comment

• maurile
                  Registered Charger Fan
                  • Jun 2013
                  • Send PM

Originally posted by richpjr View Post
                  This line from that article should give you hope he'll be closer to LT:
                  According to ESPN Stats & Information, Gordon finished with 35 rushes of 20 yards or longer in his final season at Wisconsin, nine more than any other Football Bowl Subdivision player in a single season in the last decade.
                  He led the nation last year in runs of 10+ yards, 20+ yards, 30+ yards, 40+ yards, and 50+ yards.

So no matter what cut-off point you're using, he led the nation in long runs.

Comment

• richpjr
                    Registered Charger Fan
                    • Jun 2013
                    • Nashville
                    • Send PM

Originally posted by maurile View Post
                    He led the nation last year in runs of 10+ yards, 20+ yards, 30+ yards, 40+ yards, and 50+ yards.

So no matter what cut-off point you're using, he led the nation in long runs.
                    Yeah, but the point was not just last year - the last 10 years.

Comment

Working...
                    X