• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • SoCalDan
    Registered Charger Fan
    • Sep 2021
    • Send PM

Originally posted by DragonIce View Post

Wowed EVERYONE that mattered. Staley wanted him and I'd take Brandon's evaluation over anyone else. I know Lombardi was one of your 95 theses of imminent Charger defeat. Looks like you misjudged both the game and Joe.

We all make mistakes. What can we learn from them?
    In all honesty, he wasn't his first choice. Didn't Staley want the offensive coach from Rams and McVay said no as it was the same position. But, I am happy for him to get the job. He called a good game and was good from the booth. Drops were bad, that's not on his offensive scheme. Without those drops they definitely score at least two more TDs The Guyton drop, the Williams drop, and the Keenan drop at the 5 yard line.

Comment

• DragonIce
      Registered Charger Fan
      • Mar 2021
      • Arizona
      • Send PM

Originally posted by BayAreaBoltz View Post
      Let's try it this way. How are you feeling about the current state of our special teams? Anything you think that needs to be cleaned up? Or is it perfect?

Or, maybe this one. How are you feeling about our OL depth? Anything you think the Chargers could/should do (or should have done) in that area? Or are we perfect there too?
      To answer your questions:
      -Tackle depth is scary for Chargers -- as it is for 20 other NFL teams. We added 2 o-line in draft and 3 in free agency. Early reports are they did a hell of a job--5/5. I'd call that an 'A' offseason, but team building never stops. They'll likely add another two guys next offseason. Simple fact is that decent OT's are rare and hard to collect. Got a hell of one in Slater.

-I enjoy thoughtful criticism.

Comment

• UglyTruth
        Registered Charger Fan
        • Oct 2018
        • Send PM

The 3rd and 16 call was the biggest one. Lynn would’ve 100% called a draw there but I love the aggressiveness to throw for the 1st.

Even if that would’ve been incomplete pass and stops the clock, who cares you go down trying to win not always about being conservative trying to get the other team to burn all timeouts.

Lions fans hated this guy in Detroit (even though they made playoffs when he was OC) but I liked his gameplan for week 1.
        Last edited by UglyTruth; 09-14-2021, 07:10 AM.
        Tom Telesco’s Results in 9 years as Chargers GM:

- 69-74 record
        - 0 division titles in 9 yrs as GM
        - Worst record among all active GMs with same tenure
        - 6th worst winning percentage among all active GMs overall
        - 2 playoff wins despite elite QB all 9 yrs
        - Team still has the same weaknesses (Oline and run defense) that it had when hired as GM in 2013
        - Consistently puts together horrible depth, expects starters to never miss games

Comment

• BayAreaBoltz
          Chargers Hall of Fame
          • Sep 2019
          • Send PM

Originally posted by DragonIce View Post

To answer your questions:
          -Tackle depth is scary for Chargers -- as it is for 20 other NFL teams. We added 2 o-line in draft and 3 in free agency. Early reports are they did a hell of a job--5/5. I'd call that an 'A' offseason, but team building never stops. They'll likely add another two guys next offseason. Simple fact is that decent OT's are rare and hard to collect. Got a hell of one in Slater.

-I enjoy thoughtful criticism.
          I’m so glad Slater fell to us and that he seems, thus far, as advertised. We agree.

As for the “thoughtful” part of criticism, which parts did you find, um, “un-thoughtful”? I’m still looking for that illusive line between the allowed criticism and the kind that ruffles feathers. Maybe you could start the forum by-laws listing all the criticisms you’ll allow and which are the no-no’s?

Comment

• Bolt-O
            Administrator
            • Jun 2013
            • Send PM

Double win for Joe this weekend. His Chair Force won over Navy, and he had a successful start as a OC for the Chargers.

Comment

• wu-dai clan
              Smooth Operation
              • May 2017
              • Send PM

Staley has long standing connections with Lombardi.
              We do not play modern football.

Comment

• Lyth
                Registered Charger Fan
                • Sep 2018
                • Send PM

I'm a little concerned that we couldn't run the ball very well. I'd like to see that before I consider Lombardi a good offensive coordinator. Washington played zone most of the game and we picked it apart. Be interesting to go up against a team that plays a lot more man.

Comment

• Classic
                  Hall Of Fame
                  • Dec 2014
                  • Send PM

Herbert is already on pace to have a worser season with Avg Joe here than Lynn and Co.

We need to bring in real innovative OC not one Matt Stafford claimed was the worst in his career.

Comment

• like54ninjas
                    like54ninjas commented
                    Editing a comment
                    Oh for Fuck’s sake, what is this thread. You should not post after a loss until your wife or mom has told you you’re not too emotional.

• captaind
                    captaind commented
                    Editing a comment
                    Why don’t we have a, “You serious, Clark?” smiley?

• equivocation
                    equivocation commented
                    Editing a comment
                    Lombardi needs to bribe the refs?

We've had so far:

Phantom fumble
                    Phantom sack
                    Illegal "shift"
                    KA fall down.
                    Kneel down.

I would have run it from 1st and 2 but we've also had a bunch of tough down/distance for running.
                • Bolt-O
                  Administrator
                  • Jun 2013
                  • Send PM

Dang, the topic merge didn't work, so we didn't get to save "Fire Joe Lombardi". Oh well.

Comment

• equivocation
                    Registered Charger Fan
                    • Apr 2021
                    • Send PM

Fire everyone! 20-0 or bust!

Comment

• equivocation
                      Registered Charger Fan
                      • Apr 2021
                      • Send PM

So anyway since the merge didn't work.

11 red zone trips.

1 phantom fumble
                      1 phantom sack
                      1 ticky tacky illegal "shift"
                      1 KA trip
                      1 kneel down

There's some weird shit going on. Hopefully it evens out over the season.

I would have called runs from 1st and 2. Other than that, we've had some unfavoravle down/distance situations for running. We did try running on one series and got in a 3rd and 8 or something.

Comment

• Critty
                        Dominate the Day.
                        • Mar 2019
                        • Send PM

Maybe the starting offense and the new OC could have used a bit of pre season action to get tuned up for the regular season.
                        Who has it better than us?

Comment

Working...
                        X