• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • AK47
    Registered Charger Fan
    • May 2019
    • Send PM

Originally posted by Formula 21 View Post

Those were field goals, not extra points. A professional kicker makes those, even in the wind
    I can't remember the last time we had a professional kicker. We've been dealing with interns LOL.

Comment

• UglyTruth
      Registered Charger Fan
      • Oct 2018
      • Send PM

Originally posted by Bearded14YourPleasure View Post
      I get the frustration but kicking in 30 mph winds isn’t easy. If you want a new kicker every time they miss you’re not gonna have a kicker eventually.
      The Chiefs kicker didn’t miss a single extra point kicking in the same weather.
      Tom Telesco’s Results in 9 years as Chargers GM:

- 69-74 record
      - 0 division titles in 9 yrs as GM
      - Worst record among all active GMs with same tenure
      - 6th worst winning percentage among all active GMs overall
      - 2 playoff wins despite elite QB all 9 yrs
      - Team still has the same weaknesses (Oline and run defense) that it had when hired as GM in 2013
      - Consistently puts together horrible depth, expects starters to never miss games

Comment

Only FG he’s missed this season was 50+ and today was the first time he’s missed any XP, in 30mph gusty winds.
        If thats the case then my bad. Must have been preseason I was thinking about someone missing some PATs.

But the KC guy had the same wind and no misses.

Comment

• Bearded14YourPleasure
          Fluent in Sarcasm
          • Jun 2013
          • Iowa
          • Man of the People
          • Send PM

Originally posted by UglyTruth View Post

The Chiefs kicker didn’t miss a single extra point kicking in the same weather.
          The kicker who plays at least half of his games in the outdoor stadium in the windy midwest did better than the guy who plays the majority of his games indoors? Again I understand the frustration but people are acting like Viz is the source of years of kicking issues for this team. He’s had no issues on XP during the season before this game so maybe… just maybe… his first time dealing with very windy conditions is more of an outlier than an indicator that he deserves to be fired after a win?

Comment

• SBbound
            Casual fanatic
            • Feb 2019
            • Merced/San Diego
            • Send PM

He might have pulled the first XP because he had a rusher coming in from the right side. It appeared to be a missed block?

Comment

• PhilaBoltster
              Registered Charger Fan
              • Mar 2019
              • Send PM

I’d sooner replace Ty Long. He takes so long getting some of his punts off, its a time bomb waiting to go off. Add in his shanks and general inconsistencies.

Comment

• Steve
                Administrator
                • Jun 2013
                • South Carolina
                • Meteorologist
                • Send PM

The 2nd mised PAT was because of the timing. The LS sent the ball into the holders chest. THe holder then had to move the ball back to where the kicker spot it, and that took time. Vizcano had to come around the ball or he would have been making his kick before the ball was down.

Comment

• UglyTruth
                  Registered Charger Fan
                  • Oct 2018
                  • Send PM

The kicker who plays at least half of his games in the outdoor stadium in the windy midwest did better than the guy who plays the majority of his games indoors? Again I understand the frustration but people are acting like Viz is the source of years of kicking issues for this team. He’s had no issues on XP during the season before this game so maybe… just maybe… his first time dealing with very windy conditions is more of an outlier than an indicator that he deserves to be fired after a win?
                  Didn’t he miss a kick last week too “without the wind”?

And Chargers winning the game doesn’t change anything with him. They didn’t win because of him, they won in spite of him.

You want to wait till the Chargers lose a game because of him before considering making a change just because they won today?

You have to remember that he wasn’t superb in training camp or preseason either (without these windy conditions you speak of), he was very inconsistent then as well. He just happened to better than the only other option, Badgley that’s all.

I’d at least be bringing in kickers for try outs at this point.
                  Tom Telesco’s Results in 9 years as Chargers GM:

- 69-74 record
                  - 0 division titles in 9 yrs as GM
                  - Worst record among all active GMs with same tenure
                  - 6th worst winning percentage among all active GMs overall
                  - 2 playoff wins despite elite QB all 9 yrs
                  - Team still has the same weaknesses (Oline and run defense) that it had when hired as GM in 2013
                  - Consistently puts together horrible depth, expects starters to never miss games

Comment

• jamrock
                    lawyers, guns and money
                    • Sep 2017
                    • Send PM

I have no confidence in this guy

Comment

• Iowachargers 70
                      Registered Charger Fan
                      • Nov 2020
                      • Send PM

Originally posted by AK47 View Post

I can't remember the last time we had a professional kicker. We've been dealing with interns LOL.
                      Benirschke??

Comment

• Bearded14YourPleasure
                        Fluent in Sarcasm
                        • Jun 2013
                        • Iowa
                        • Man of the People
                        • Send PM

Didn’t he miss a kick last week too “without the wind”?

And Chargers winning the game doesn’t change anything with him. They didn’t win because of him, they won in spite of him.

You want to wait till the Chargers lose a game because of him before considering making a change just because they won today?

You have to remember that he wasn’t superb in training camp or preseason either (without these windy conditions you speak of), he was very inconsistent then as well. He just happened to better than the only other option, Badgley that’s all.

50+ yarders aren’t guaranteed. There are about 3 kickers in the league that hit over 50 consistently so firing a guy for not hitting that is a stretch for me. If the team wants to bring in competition for him fine, but personally I don’t think holding an axe over the kickers head is the way to get the best performance out of them. The Vikings drafted Daniel Carlson back in ‘18 (trading up to draft him actually) and after he missed 3 FG in a game they cut him. He was then picked up by the Raiders and kicked 94% the rest of the season and has been pretty reliable for them since. Kickers need to find their groove.

Viz is hardly the only person on this team that has made mistakes on this young season and yet he’s the only one that deserves to lose his job? Guyton dropped a TD today that would have put us up 21-0 which isn’t even his first drop on the season, where’s the call to fire him? Cook has had the same penalty in 2 weeks that negates a TD, anyone calling for him to be fired?

Comment

• SBbound
                          Casual fanatic
                          • Feb 2019
                          • Merced/San Diego
                          • Send PM

A professional front office is at all times considering all options. If they're trying out kickers they won't be doing so publicly.

Comment

Working...
                          X