• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Iowachargers 70
    Registered Charger Fan
    • Nov 2020
    • Send PM

Originally posted by Bearded14YourPleasure View Post

50+ yarders aren’t guaranteed. There are about 3 kickers in the league that hit over 50 consistently so firing a guy for not hitting that is a stretch for me. If the team wants to bring in competition for him fine, but personally I don’t think holding an axe over the kickers head is the way to get the best performance out of them. The Vikings drafted Daniel Carlson back in ‘18 (trading up to draft him actually) and after he missed 3 FG in a game they cut him. He was then picked up by the Raiders and kicked 94% the rest of the season and has been pretty reliable for them since. Kickers need to find their groove.

Viz is hardly the only person on this team that has made mistakes on this young season and yet he’s the only one that deserves to lose his job? Guyton dropped a TD today that would have put us up 21-0 which isn’t even his first drop on the season, where’s the call to fire him? Cook has had the same penalty in 2 weeks that negates a TD, anyone calling for him to be fired?
    I'm right there with you bearded. Agree with everything you have said.

Comment

• Steve
      Administrator
      • Jun 2013
      • South Carolina
      • Meteorologist
      • Send PM

I think we probably need a better LS than we do K. There have been some questionable snaps so far this season in both K and P. At least 1 of the missed PAT was because of a bad snap, and I haven't re-watched the other yet. I need to re-watch Long's shank, but he had at least one of his punts vs Dallas where he had to do some adjusting and it hurt his release timing, although if I recall correctly that turned out OK.

Comment

The kicker who plays at least half of his games in the outdoor stadium in the windy midwest did better than the guy who plays the majority of his games indoors? Again I understand the frustration but people are acting like Viz is the source of years of kicking issues for this team. He’s had no issues on XP during the season before this game so maybe… just maybe… his first time dealing with very windy conditions is more of an outlier than an indicator that he deserves to be fired after a win?
        Given our history of kicking troubles starting with Tweety Bird, we basically have NO patience for missed kicks of any kind. Force of habit. If i was the owner I seriously would not have let viz board the plan home. my philosophy is keep changing them till you get one that does not miss.

Comment

• Bearded14YourPleasure
          Fluent in Sarcasm
          • Jun 2013
          • Iowa
          • Man of the People
          • Send PM

Originally posted by Quite_Frankly View Post

Given our history of kicking troubles starting with Tweety Bird, we basically have NO patience for missed kicks of any kind. Force of habit. If i was the owner I seriously would not have let viz board the plan home.
          And I get why people feel that way, the scars run deep for all of us. Personally I try and treat each kicker as an individual. I mean if we had been patient in the past then guys like Lambo and Koo would have already solved our kicking issues. I get Lambo had locker room issues too, and maybe Koo was too in his head after all the blocks and snapping issues he had to endure. But precedent is there that kickers with issues early in there career can turn it around. Missing a 50+ yarder and 2 XP in windy conditions is something I think can be overcome.

Comment

• SBbound
            Casual fanatic
            • Feb 2019
            • Merced/San Diego
            • Send PM

Is Mazza available?

Comment

• Topcat
              AKA "Pollcat"
              • Jan 2019
              • Send PM

Originally posted by Steve View Post
              I think we probably need a better LS than we do K. There have been some questionable snaps so far this season in both K and P. At least 1 of the missed PAT was because of a bad snap, and I haven't re-watched the other yet. I need to re-watch Long's shank, but he had at least one of his punts vs Dallas where he had to do some adjusting and it hurt his release timing, although if I recall correctly that turned out OK.
              You know, Steve, I was wondering the same thing about our long snapper...when Mazza was LS, both Bags and Vizzy were doing pretty well...then after Mazza got injured and the Bolts signed Overton, wasn't that the bad week Vizzy had in the preseason? Then Bags also missed a few...now Vizzy has had a few more misses...just sayin'...

Comment

• Xenos
                Registered Charger Fan
                • Feb 2019
                • Send PM

Originally posted by UglyTruth View Post

Didn’t he miss a kick last week too “without the wind”?

And Chargers winning the game doesn’t change anything with him. They didn’t win because of him, they won in spite of him.

You want to wait till the Chargers lose a game because of him before considering making a change just because they won today?

You have to remember that he wasn’t superb in training camp or preseason either (without these windy conditions you speak of), he was very inconsistent then as well. He just happened to better than the only other option, Badgley that’s all.

I’d at least be bringing in kickers for try outs at this point.
                He missed a kick last week because the protection broke down and he tried to kick around the blocker. It unfortunately didn’t work but would have been better than getting it blocked and returned for a TD.

Comment

• Xenos
                  Registered Charger Fan
                  • Feb 2019
                  • Send PM

Originally posted by Quite_Frankly View Post

Given our history of kicking troubles starting with Tweety Bird, we basically have NO patience for missed kicks of any kind. Force of habit. If i was the owner I seriously would not have let viz board the plan home. my philosophy is keep changing them till you get one that does not miss.
                  That’s not realistic at all. It’s that type of mentality that led to us letting go Lambo and Koo.

Comment

• Critty
                    Dominate the Day.
                    • Mar 2019
                    • Send PM

Until today he was career 8/9 FG and 4/4 XP between SF and LAC.
                    Hopefully it was just a bad day for him.

Who has it better than us?

Comment

• UglyTruth
                      Registered Charger Fan
                      • Oct 2018
                      • Send PM

50+ yarders aren’t guaranteed. There are about 3 kickers in the league that hit over 50 consistently so firing a guy for not hitting that is a stretch for me. If the team wants to bring in competition for him fine, but personally I don’t think holding an axe over the kickers head is the way to get the best performance out of them. The Vikings drafted Daniel Carlson back in ‘18 (trading up to draft him actually) and after he missed 3 FG in a game they cut him. He was then picked up by the Raiders and kicked 94% the rest of the season and has been pretty reliable for them since. Kickers need to find their groove.

Viz is hardly the only person on this team that has made mistakes on this young season and yet he’s the only one that deserves to lose his job? Guyton dropped a TD today that would have put us up 21-0 which isn’t even his first drop on the season, where’s the call to fire him? Cook has had the same penalty in 2 weeks that negates a TD, anyone calling for him to be fired?
                      You surely aren’t comparing missed kicks to dropped balls? You might as well have asked why we aren’t clamoring for Herbert to get cut since he’s thrown INTs too?

Kickers have one job and that’s it. It’s not a skill position like a WR or RB or QB. Why do you think even the premiere kickers don’t make anywhere close to the salary that premiere RBs, WRs or QBs do?

You act like he’s been perfect except for this game. He was wildly inconsistent in training camp too.

And no, there was no wind for those misses as well.

Even when Vizcaino was in college, he had a reputation for being very inconsistent and fans were calling for him to get benched.

https://www.uwdawgpound.com/2017/9/2...istan-vizcaino

I’m not saying cut him after 3 weeks but I’d bring others in for try outs. If he develops a trend of missing PATs and/or FGs then they shouldn’t wait to cut him. I hope he doesn’t and can fix the kicking woes and maintain a solid % throughout the season.

I’m tired of losing games because of kickers and punters. Yes, Ty Long sucks too.
                      Tom Telesco’s Results in 9 years as Chargers GM:

- 69-74 record
                      - 0 division titles in 9 yrs as GM
                      - Worst record among all active GMs with same tenure
                      - 6th worst winning percentage among all active GMs overall
                      - 2 playoff wins despite elite QB all 9 yrs
                      - Team still has the same weaknesses (Oline and run defense) that it had when hired as GM in 2013
                      - Consistently puts together horrible depth, expects starters to never miss games

Comment

• northerner
                        Charger fan since '79
                        • Mar 2019
                        • Send PM

Only FG he’s missed this season was 50+ and today was the first time he’s missed any XP, in 30mph gusty winds.
                        yes, we understand, but this is a message board - where you fire everyone immediately. ;-)

Comment

• Formula 21
                          The Future is Now
                          • Jun 2013
                          • Republic of San Diego
                          • Send PM

Originally posted by northerner View Post

yes, we understand, but this is a message board - where you fire everyone immediately. ;-)
                          Especially the ones who suck.

Happiness is Vizcaina getting cut and taking Pipkins with him.
                          Now, if you excuse me, I have some Charger memories to suppress.
                          The Wasted Decade is done.
                          Build Back Better.

Comment

Working...
                          X