• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Xenos
    Registered Charger Fan
    • Feb 2019
    • Send PM

Popper answers a Q&A about Gus Bradley and the Raiders defense.

How do you think Gus Bradley’s knowledge of our players’ strengths and weaknesses will help him in game planning for this week? — @gilsery

I posed this question to a few players and coaches this week, and the answers were rather interesting. Bradley, of course, spent four seasons with the Chargers from 2017 to 2020 and is intimately familiar with their personnel on both sides of the ball. Raiders defensive backs coach Ron Milus was with the Chargers from 2013 to 2020, and linebackers coach Richard Smith was with the Chargers from 2017 to 2020. The information they have certainly will not hurt them in game planning for the Chargers offense. And it will not hurt Jon Gruden and the Raiders offensive staff in game planning against the Chargers defense.

But the Chargers’ offensive and defensive schemes are so different that I do not think it is a significant advantage.

“I don’t think that it factors in too much,” Staley said this week. “The thing about the NFL is that you have so much information on most people that there’s not really anywhere to hide. It’s more about the players that are in the game. I think that what Gus can do by being here, and those defensive coaches that were here, is they have a good sense of the talent level of all of our guys. From just a personnel standpoint, they just have a good idea of how good they are, their strengths and weaknesses. But how we’re using them this year is different than it was when he was here. There is that part of it.”

There is a flip side here. The Chargers’ defensive players are intimately familiar with Bradley’s Cover 3 heavy scheme, which originated in Seattle. More importantly, Justin Herbert, Keenan Allen and Williams went up against this defense every day in training camp. So it goes both ways.

“We know how it’s run. We know the way it’s supposed to be run,” Allen said of Bradley’s scheme. “That gives us a great deal of advantage.”

Bradley is notoriously committed to running the concepts he believes in. His defenses are not very multiple. Bradley is a staunch advocate for the less-is-more defensive philosophy. He thinks simplifying things allows his players to play faster. He relies on his players executing better than the offense. I asked Lombardi if he thought Bradley might shake up his game plan considering how familiar the Chargers offensive players are with the scheme.

“I do expect a few wrinkles, specifically, maybe, on third down,” Lombardi said. “This defense has been around for a long time. It’s been proven. I don’t think that they’re ever really trying to trick you. They’re just trying to out-execute you. They often do a really good job of that. You’re always trying to be ready for the unknowns, but I think that he’s going to lean on what they do well.”

Comment

• Topcat
      AKA "Pollcat"
      • Jan 2019
      • Send PM

Originally posted by like54ninjas View Post

I trust PFF’s grading system about the same as I would trust you on football analysis.

What are their coverage grades?
      Can Casey run anymore?
      Can Casey successfully manup 13 or 81?
      He stopped being “ShowCase” about 3/4 years ago. He is a savvy vet with very tired legs.

Much more to football than pure stats or PFF.
      Hayward got burned so many times last year...not only has he lost a step...he's lost 2-3 steps...

Comment

• Bolt Dude
        Draftnik
        • Oct 2020
        • Send PM

Originally posted by Topcat View Post

Hayward got burned so many times last year...not only has he lost a step...he's lost 2-3 steps...
        I mean, he was dealing with injuries, and injuries linger longer the older one gets. 30 seems to be a precarious age for corners. I’m glad we moved on. If we hadn’t we may not have drafted ASJ.
        Our quarterback is a golden god.

Comment

• equivocation
          Registered Charger Fan
          • Apr 2021
          • Send PM

Sometimes a change of scenery can help a guy too.

But he hasn't been tested this year.

Comment

• dmac_bolt
            Day Tripper
            • May 2019
            • North of the Lagoon
            • Send PM

Originally posted by equivocation View Post
            Sometimes a change of scenery can help a guy too.

But he hasn't been tested this year.
            Has Gus had him 15 yards off the LOS in one of his soft zones? I haven’t watched any Turd games yet. If yes, how does PFFFT score a DB thats not close enough to be in the play? Or is he really “balling”, blanketing receivers all over the field. I think he’s lost more than 2 steps … I’d want to see that.
            “Less is more? NO NO NO - MORE is MORE!”

Comment

• chargeroo
              Fan since 1961
              • Jan 2019
              • Oregon
              • Retired Manager/Pastor
              • Send PM

Originally posted by dmac_bolt View Post

Has Gus had him 15 yards off the LOS in one of his soft zones? I haven’t watched any Turd games yet. If yes, how does PFFFT score a DB thats not close enough to be in the play? Or is he really “balling”, blanketing receivers all over the field. I think he’s lost more than 2 steps … I’d want to see that.
              I saw two of their games and I was surprised at how well Hayward is playing.
              THE YEAR OF THE FLIP!

Comment

• chargeroo
                Fan since 1961
                • Jan 2019
                • Oregon
                • Retired Manager/Pastor
                • Send PM

Originally posted by Bolt Dude View Post

I mean, he was dealing with injuries, and injuries linger longer the older one gets. 30 seems to be a precarious age for corners. I’m glad we moved on. If we hadn’t we may not have drafted ASJ.
                I concur
                THE YEAR OF THE FLIP!

Comment

• Caslon
                  Registered Charger Fan
                  • Apr 2019
                  • Send PM

The Chargers don’t have WR speedsters like we had years ago with the likes of aTravis Benjamin. The lack of long bombs doesn’t bother me. Still, a Herbert to Guyton bomb would be cool, them hooking up like last season. That was then, tho. New season, game plans dictate other.

Comment

• Hadl2Alworth
                    Registered Charger Fan
                    • Oct 2017
                    • Send PM

Originally posted by Caslon View Post
                    The Chargers don’t have WR speedsters like we had years ago with the likes of aTravis Benjamin. The lack of long bombs doesn’t bother me. Still, a Herbert to Guyton bomb would be cool, them hooking up like last season. That was then, tho. New season, game plans dictate other.
                    Well, I'm guessing the Chargers would love to have more long bombs. But Guyton has no hands. He's almost as bad as Benjamin was for us.

Comment

• FoutsFan
                      Registered Charger Fan
                      • Feb 2019
                      • Birmingham AL
                      • Send PM

Originally posted by Hadl2Alworth View Post

Well, I'm guessing the Chargers would love to have more long bombs. But Guyton has no hands. He's almost as bad as Benjamin was for us.
                      Someone told Guyton to use stick-um on his gloves, he used Pam non stick cooking spray by mistake.

Comment

• Caslon
                        Registered Charger Fan
                        • Apr 2019
                        • Send PM

Originally posted by FoutsFan View Post

Someone told Guyton to use stick-um on his gloves, he used Pam non stick cooking spray by mistake.
                        I shouldn’t have mentioned a particular WR. Herbert coming on the scene last year, he hooked up on a couple of bombs to Guyton and a tight end (what’s his name) for a TD. I guess you can scratch all that off now. That was then. Herbert took the NFL by storm.

Comment

• FoutsFan
                          Registered Charger Fan
                          • Feb 2019
                          • Birmingham AL
                          • Send PM

Originally posted by Caslon View Post

I shouldn’t have mentioned a particular WR. Herbert coming on the scene hooked up on a couple of bombs to Guyton and a tight end (what’s his name) for a TD. I guess you can scratch all that off now. That was then.
                          Is it weird that when I read your posts they all sound like Steve Buscemi is reading them in my mind.

Comment

Working...
                          X