POLL: If You Could Fix One Position on the Roster, Which Would it Be?

Collapse
X
Collapse
First Prev Next Last

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • wu-dai clan
    Smooth Operation
    • May 2017
    • Send PM

I would retain Nwosu, develop Rumph II, and draft a mid round EDGE with complementary skills..

Build depth.
    We do not play modern football.

Comment

• Topcat
      AKA "Pollcat"
      • Jan 2019
      • Send PM

Originally posted by Steve View Post

Nwosu's lack of production isn't just about his lack of skill as a pass rusher. He is not playing well in any phase. And the few times he seems to be around the ball, he either doesn't seem to be quite there, or if he does, he misses a fair number of them. Not a good look for a guy playing for a new coach and a contract year.

I think in Gus' D they were looking for a true OLB who could a solid run defender, set the edge and help out some as a situational rusher. In Gus' D he was sorta OK at setting the edge, and was solid in coverage, but he was never more than OK as a pass rusher. And lately he just can't seem to do anything well.
      So, Nwosu is kind of Tillery-like...though in that last game, Tillery showed signs of life...

Comment

• ghost
        The Rise of Kellen Moore
        • Jun 2013
        • Send PM

Originally posted by wu-dai clan View Post
        I would retain Nwosu, develop Rumph II, and draft a mid round EDGE with complementary skills..

Build depth.
        Back before the season started, we spoke of the Chargers defensive lineman being able to consistently win their one-on-one matchups. As fans, most of us would agree that does not apply to Nwosu + Tillery.

From a purely production standpoint, Joey Bosa and Derwin James have motors that burn red-hot. Nwosu and Tillery's engine burn luke-warm, IMO.

Comment

• Fleet 1
          TPB Founder
          • Jun 2013
          • Kauai
          • Send PM

Originally posted by Spkrfrk1 View Post
          I wanted to choose RT but i chose other because OC is most important imo.
          Welcome to the blues. You might be suggesting Offensive Coordinator? I think we are looking good at Center if thats the OC you are referring to.

Comment

• Leslie Grossman
            Registered Charger Fan
            • Nov 2020
            • Oklahoma
            • Send PM

Originally posted by Fleet Admin View Post

Welcome to the blues. You might be suggesting Offensive Coordinator? I think we are looking good at Center if thats the OC you are referring to.
            Like Ingram I was hoping Nwosu was drafted to play linebacker, the defense is too small. The biggest reason aside from elite talent they are last against the run imo.
            The 94 team reached the SB because they had 2 tons of fun in the middle and the mid 2000s teams had Jamal The Wall. Haven't drafted well on defense ever since.

Comment

• ChargersPowderBlue
              Registered Charger Fan
              • Aug 2019
              • Send PM

Originally posted by ghost View Post

Back before the season started, we spoke of the Chargers defensive lineman being able to consistently win their one-on-one matchups. As fans, most of us would agree that does not apply to Nwosu + Tillery.

From a purely production standpoint, Joey Bosa and Derwin James have motors that burn red-hot. Nwosu and Tillery's engine burn luke-warm, IMO.
              Nwosu and Tillery are the only guys up front besides Bosa who have pass rush ability. They get hated on, and overrated Justin Jones is weak in this area.

Depth on the edge positions and IDL is a problem with the team.

Originally posted by Leslie Grossman View Post

Like Ingram I was hoping Nwosu was drafted to play linebacker, the defense is too small. The biggest reason aside from elite talent they are last against the run imo.
              The 94 team reached the SB because they had 2 tons of fun in the middle and the mid 2000s teams had Jamal The Wall. Haven't drafted well on defense ever since.
              The team did have Antonio Gray who contributed to a good defense in 2010. But I guess he's forgotten about because he wasn't originally a Charger.

Perryman was good against the run. But like other Charger players, he was getting stale at the end of his time with the franchise.

Comment

• Steve
                Administrator
                • Jun 2013
                • South Carolina
                • Meteorologist
                • Send PM

The '94 team that made the SB had a lot of positive elements. 2 tons of fun was just one good position group among many. That is really the key. We need to keep adding talent to the whole team, DT and edge among them.

There have been plenty of smaller D who are good at playing run D. I know the 2 tons of fun type of DT are nice to have, but it is better to focus needs to be on getting good players and not worry so much about secondary characteristics like size. We need to keep adding and developing players at every position. I know there is the ongoing debate about which positions are more important, but every position is important to some degree. The common characteristics among SB teams is that they usually have very few weaknesses on the field.

I'm not saying that our interior DL is playing well or anything, but the interior DL is not the only thing that is wrong with the run D. Even if a couple of Jamal Williams clones dropped out of the sky and were suddenly available from a genie, our run D would still be awful. Everyone has to get on the same page, make their reads and then execute. That is universal among all good run D, and we can't skip that step and think it will work.

Comment

• Topcat
                  AKA "Pollcat"
                  • Jan 2019
                  • Send PM

Originally posted by Steve View Post
                  The '94 team that made the SB had a lot of positive elements. 2 tons of fun was just one good position group among many. That is really the key. We need to keep adding talent to the whole team, DT and edge among them.

There have been plenty of smaller D who are good at playing run D. I know the 2 tons of fun type of DT are nice to have, but it is better to focus needs to be on getting good players and not worry so much about secondary characteristics like size. We need to keep adding and developing players at every position. I know there is the ongoing debate about which positions are more important, but every position is important to some degree. The common characteristics among SB teams is that they usually have very few weaknesses on the field.

I'm not saying that our interior DL is playing well or anything, but the interior DL is not the only thing that is wrong with the run D. Even if a couple of Jamal Williams clones dropped out of the sky and were suddenly available from a genie, our run D would still be awful. Everyone has to get on the same page, make their reads and then execute. That is universal among all good run D, and we can't skip that step and think it will work.
                  Yep...one of the biggest issues with our run D is our failing to maintain lane integrity...too many WIDE open holes...

Comment

• Steve
                    Administrator
                    • Jun 2013
                    • South Carolina
                    • Meteorologist
                    • Send PM

It's a lot of things.

The tackling today was way to many grab tackles.

They got pushed around some.

The run fits were not good at times.

Hurts got a fair number of solid runs off of zone reads where our guys didn't make a read, and just guessed. It worked well once, but not so well a couple of other times.

Comment

• Riverwalk
                      Registered Charger Fan
                      • Nov 2021
                      • Send PM

The best thing I could hope for in next years draft is a DL that’s as impactful as Slater was for the OL this year.

I guess we’re talking Aaron Donald stature.

Comment

• like54ninjas
                        Registered Charger Fan
                        • Oct 2017
                        • Great White North
                        • Draftnik
                        • Send PM

Originally posted by Riverwalk View Post
                        The best thing I could hope for in next years draft is a DL that’s as impactful as Slater was for the OL this year.

I guess we’re talking Aaron Donald stature.
                        There is nobody like Donald coming out.
                        Closest to him would be Calijah Kancey (RSO-he should stay another year) but he has not put up production like AD.
                        My 2021 Adopt-A-Bolt List

MikeDub
                        K9
                        Nasir
                        Tillery
                        Parham
                        Reed

Comment

• Steve
                          Administrator
                          • Jun 2013
                          • South Carolina
                          • Meteorologist
                          • Send PM

We could use a couple of DL who are just very physical. Heavy hands that can take on blocks, shed and make tackles. A player of Donald's caliber would be nice, but adding some players who thrive at doing the dirty work and plug the inside run would be a nice change of pace.

They don't (necessarily) need to be big, just guys who relish the physical part of the game.

Comment

Working...
                          X