POLL: If You Could Fix One Position on the Roster, Which Would it Be?

Collapse
X
Collapse
First Prev Next Last

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • like54ninjas
    Registered Charger Fan
    • Oct 2017
    • Great White North
    • Draftnik
    • Send PM

Originally posted by Formula 21 View Post
    I look around and see all these 320 pound OGs these days. So how does a team not want to get bigger at DT?
    OT are 315+# on average now. With that reasoning why aren’t EDGE player 300+#? Bosa is what 260ish and no one is claiming he doesn’t have enough mass. Technique, strength, flexibility, burst, agility, and leverage are keys to winning LOS play.

Calijah Kancey is one of the most dominant IDL prospects in college football @6’ (maybe) / 275#.
    AD = 6’1’’ 285ish#.
    My 2021 Adopt-A-Bolt List

MikeDub
    K9
    Nasir
    Tillery
    Parham
    Reed

Comment

• Formula 21
      The Future is Now
      • Jun 2013
      • Republic of San Diego
      • Send PM

Originally posted by like54ninjas View Post

OT are 315+# on average now. With that reasoning why aren’t EDGE player 300+#? Bosa is what 260ish and no one is claiming he doesn’t have enough mass. Technique, strength, flexibility, burst, agility, and leverage are keys to winning LOS play.

Calijah Kancey is one of the most dominant IDL prospects in college football @6’ (maybe) / 275#.
      AD = 6’1’’ 285ish#.
      But you’re looking at the freaks, not the average guys. I doubt there are enough freaks out there to go 2 to a team. And they’re very expensive.

There is a larger universe of big guys to chose from. Cheaper, productive guys with more limited skills. So bring in the guy with the limited skills to fit your limited needs.

In my case, I don’t look for pass rush from DTs. It’s too rare a skill. I look for big guys who can push the LOS, control their gap, shed blockers and tackle. And there’s more of those guys available.
      Now, if you excuse me, I have some Charger memories to suppress.
      The Wasted Decade is done.
      Build Back Better.

Comment

• Steve
        Administrator
        • Jun 2013
        • South Carolina
        • Meteorologist
        • Send PM

Originally posted by TexanBeerlover View Post

Have to move up to get Jordan Davis, Georgia 6-6 360 but would start making calls if he slips outside the top 10. He would plug that hole/need in a big way.
        I hope not.

The guy has SOOO much ability, and uses it so infrequently. Most of the time he is just standing still on the field. I am not sure if it is lack of effort or lack of conditioning. Either way, he needs a new motor.

When he does decide to play, he can run down plays from behind, collapse the pocket, and out quick guys on zone runs. He has the ability to be the best DT in the NFL, and has yet to show a reason why he should be drafted high. Most of the plays he makes in college would not be plays in the NFL. He is slow off the ball, and his lack of quickness is a real problem against small, unathletic college players, let alone NFL players.

I am fine with the idea of having a huge DT like Big Rueben Davis, Jamal or Norman Hand were for us. THey were all elite DL who could play the run and rush the passer (Davis just pushed the pocket, didn't get sacks but anyway...). I don't see Jordan Davis being that guy. He has enough athletic ability to reach for him in the end of the 2nd day, but he would be the waste of a pick on day 1.

Jordan Davis the massive defensive tackle from Georgia is flying up draft boards, but former NFL scout Daniel Kelly is not sold on him. At first glance, Jordan Davis looks more like a mountain than a man.  He is all of 6-6, 330. He’s got these long powerful and weight room strong arms and a neck that looks more like a

Comment

• like54ninjas
          Registered Charger Fan
          • Oct 2017
          • Great White North
          • Draftnik
          • Send PM

Originally posted by Steve View Post

I hope not.

The guy has SOOO much ability, and uses it so infrequently. Most of the time he is just standing still on the field. I am not sure if it is lack of effort or lack of conditioning. Either way, he needs a new motor.

When he does decide to play, he can run down plays from behind, collapse the pocket, and out quick guys on zone runs. He has the ability to be the best DT in the NFL, and has yet to show a reason why he should be drafted high. Most of the plays he makes in college would not be plays in the NFL. He is slow off the ball, and his lack of quickness is a real problem against small, unathletic college players, let alone NFL players.

I am fine with the idea of having a huge DT like Big Rueben Davis, Jamal or Norman Hand were for us. THey were all elite DL who could play the run and rush the passer (Davis just pushed the pocket, didn't get sacks but anyway...). I don't see Jordan Davis being that guy. He has enough athletic ability to reach for him in the end of the 2nd day, but he would be the waste of a pick on day 1.

https://www.nfldraftdiamonds.com/202...ordan-davis-5/
          I wholeheartedly disagree with this nfldraftdiamonds writer and your assessment. Whew way fucking off.
          This dude calls out the Arkansas tape, please. I don’t see how he watched that tape. UAR has 3 NFL prospects on their starting OL in Cunningham (OT), Stromberg (OC), Latham (OG).
          Here is the 2021 UAR OL vs. UGA DL tape cut up.

My 2021 Adopt-A-Bolt List

MikeDub
          K9
          Nasir
          Tillery
          Parham
          Reed

Comment

• TexanBeerlover
            Registered Charger Fan
            • Feb 2021
            • Send PM

Originally posted by Steve View Post

I hope not.

https://www.nfldraftdiamonds.com/202...ordan-davis-5/
            I’ll give you the rawness of his game, can he polished up? A deeper dive is warranted to see how coachable and motivated Davis really is at his core. But NFL traits jump off the screen and if totally engaged, dominant next level @ arguably Chargers biggest need. Just beginning of process so much work to do but no reason to shut the door on him just yet.

Comment

• Steve
              Administrator
              • Jun 2013
              • South Carolina
              • Meteorologist
              • Send PM

Originally posted by TexanBeerlover View Post

I’ll give you the rawness of his game, can he polished up? A deeper dive is warranted to see how coachable and motivated Davis really is at his core. But NFL traits jump off the screen and if totally engaged, dominant next level @ arguably Chargers biggest need. Just beginning of process so much work to do but no reason to shut the door on him just yet.
              The vast majority of big talented guys like that never do anything. A very few go on to realize some or much of their talent. But most are a waste of time, and the odds are heavily stacked against it.

I would go so far as to say the NFL traits DO NOT jump off the screen.

For the most part, he has the size and some straight-line speed. Other than that, he is not very quick and simply doesn't play hard. Like a lot of college players, he tends to wait for plays to develop and then he simply goes after the ball. Even amazingly quick/fast players who try that in the NFL are not very effective.

For him to develop he needs to either develop the conditioning or the temperament to play hard on a much bigger percentage of the plays. He has to develop his first step so that he can get off the ball. He needs to play lower and use his natural leverage. And then has to develop his hand use (which isn't horrible), but needs to get better if he is going to get off of blocks and make tackles.

The only thing that really says much positive to me is that when he was doing his homework when he was considering coming out early and was told that he was not going to get drafted as high, he had a good bowl game where he showed way more than he had. He is doing better this season, which is why some college football nuts think he is a Heisman candidate, but he is not making plays like an NFL DT would, he is showing college DT technique and production.

I wouldn't make him undraftable. I just think this is a case where I put a late-round grade on him and some other team probably falls in love, with a DL coach who thinks they can get through to him after they fall in love with his workout scores, and then they think they can turn him into something when they make him a high pick.

Comment

• I don't know if Ekeler is hurt or what but he seems to have lost a step. And we used to pass to him out of the backfield all the time what happened to that? We have all these running backs, but nobody that can run someone over, or who has top 5 speed breakaway speed. Why don't we just try that for a change. I mean..they are "running" backs....they need to be able to RUN...well.

Comment

• Inforfun
                  Registered Charger Fan
                  • Nov 2020
                  • Send PM

Originally posted by Hupperdoo View Post
                  I don't know if Ekeler is hurt or what but he seems to have lost a step. And we used to pass to him out of the backfield all the time what happened to that? We have all these running backs, but nobody that can run someone over, or who has top 5 speed breakaway speed. Why don't we just try that for a change. I mean..they are "running" backs....they need to be able to RUN...well.
                  He is not a full season #1 RB. He would not make it past first P.O. game

Comment

• Topcat
                    AKA "Pollcat"
                    • Jan 2019
                    • Send PM

Originally posted by Inforfun View Post

He is not a full season #1 RB. He would not make it past first P.O. game
                    So, we've got a gimpy Ekkie, and two JAG's with Kelley and Rountree...I hereby bang the table to cut the two JAG's in the off-season, and sign and/or draft a couple of REAL running backs to take the load off poor, beat-up Ekkie...on the bright side, at least Rountree can catch...

Comment

• Steve
                      Administrator
                      • Jun 2013
                      • South Carolina
                      • Meteorologist
                      • Send PM

The RB are being asked to help out a lot more in run protection, so Ekeler is not running the same routes he used to. He is getting to release, but they are just check-downs, not real routes. Herbert if trying to get the ball downfield and even when he throws to the RB, they have to turn around, and then start running upfield. We have to get the pass protection fixed so that we aren't dinking and dunking, and we can get everyone involved in the passing game.

As far as Roundtree and Kelley, it is tough to ask young RB to make much happen behind an inconsistent OL. They have to hang back and wait to find a hole, and you aren't going to get many yards if you are waiting for things to happen. They need to go hard at the line, and hit their read step going full speed making the cut based on the read. Half the time or more, they either can't make the read landmark or they have to avoid somoene to get there. Not how the zone run game is supposed to work.

Comment

• gzubeck
                        Ines Sainz = Jet Bait!
                        • Jan 2019
                        • Tucson, AZ
                        • Send PM

Originally posted by Topcat View Post

So, we've got a gimpy Ekkie, and two JAG's with Kelley and Rountree...I hereby bang the table to cut the two JAG's in the off-season, and sign and/or draft a couple of REAL running backs to take the load off poor, beat-up Ekkie...on the bright side, at least Rountree can catch...
                        I like Rountree more than Kelley. Kelley can go pound sand and would be lucky to make someone's practice squad. If rountree can learn to block in the backfield there's a future for him. At least Rountree can go high over the goaline as Kelley would be just tackled in the backfield.
                        Chiefs won the Superbowl with 10 Rookies....

"Locked, Cocked, and ready to Rock!" Jim Harbaugh

Comment

Working...
                        X