POLL: If You Could Fix One Position on the Roster, Which Would it Be?

Collapse
X
Collapse
First Prev Next Last

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • AK47
    Registered Charger Fan
    • May 2019
    • Send PM

Originally posted by Topcat View Post

Tranquilizer...good one...gives me an idea...how about...Tranq Gun!

Tranq them down!!

Edit: 0 animals and 4 Raiders were harmed in the making of this post.

Comment

• equivocation
      Registered Charger Fan
      • Apr 2021
      • Send PM

Originally posted by wu-dai clan View Post
      IMHO it's RB.

Teams are recognizing that they need a 1-2 punch here.
      We don't quite have the second piece. Prolly Round 2.

All the talk about DT fails to take into account the fact that we scheme to tempt opponents to run.
      Go back and reread Staley concepts.
      Give Zack Martin credit.
      This story will settle out as this season plays out.

Improvement at run defense will come from better tackling, greater familiarity with StaleyD, and improved health for JJones. Merrill will succeed Linval.
      Maybe Leal of TAMU will fall, but I doubt it.

There will be several quality IOLs available late Round 1.
      ORT is best addressed at UFA,
      according to the tea leaves.
      I think you have to be light in numbers somewhere. If you're light in the secondary you need studs there to offset the numbers. If you're light in the box you need studs there to offset the numbers.

I'm all for inviting the run and having numbers in the secondary. The difference between an average defense and a great defense is also stopping it the run when you invite it.

Comment

• Boltjolt
        Dont let the PBs fool ya
        • Jun 2013
        • Henderson, NV
        • Send PM

Originally posted by WindsorUK View Post
        It's interesting so many people are clamouring for DT's.
        A lot of guys here must remember YubaKing...he who was DESPERATE for the Chargers to draft a replacement for Jamaal....and he got ABSOLUTELY SLATED for it!
        We've been lacking a presence in the middle of our line since JW left- it would be nice to have an anchor who could occupy multiple defenders, and push the pocket on occassion.
        He got crap WHO he wanted us to draft for one thing. That think guy is out of the league. Yuba was also very fucking annoying and a guy on repeat in every post. Holy shit that guy repeated the same things over and over again lol. Id bet his dog probably let the room.

We dont neccassarily need a fatboy in the middle, just somebody who is good. Tillery isnt that good. Justin Jones is better but sure we can use another DT as Joseph may be gone after this season.

I was always a Geno Atkins fan and he is older now, i believe he is available. Dont know why he isnt signed and im sure he isnt what he used to be but id bet he is still better than Tillery. 1 year deal may be worth a shot but no idea if he is injured in any way.

Comment

• ghost
          The Rise of Kellen Moore
          • Jun 2013
          • Send PM

An Akiem Hicks inside would be ideal inside, who could play in base, but RT concerns me. Until Bryan Bulaga is back and shows he can play at modest level, it's RT.

Comment

• Bolt4Knob
            Registered Charger Fan
            • Dec 2019
            • Send PM

Originally posted by ghost View Post
            An Akiem Hicks inside would be ideal inside, who could play in base, but RT concerns me. Until Bryan Bulaga is back and shows he can play at modest level, it's RT.
            This might be a bit premature - but if the team continues to on this path - wonder if Telesco would be open to using some draft picks in 2022 for a player like Hicks, if the Bears struggle because of their QB situation.

Granted, the Chargers cannot trade future comp picks but they are on track to add multiple picks in rounds 6 and 7 next year. So maybe the Bears would take a late round pick for Hicks. I am sure there could be other players but you mentioned Hicks .

Comment

• Topcat
              AKA "Pollcat"
              • Jan 2019
              • Send PM

If Norton continues to improve, I'll change my vote from RT to DT...still need RT in draft though, maybe DT in round 1 and RT in round 2...and for backup purposes, I still think for depth, we should sign a dependable old FA RT...

Comment

• Boltjolt
                Dont let the PBs fool ya
                • Jun 2013
                • Henderson, NV
                • Send PM

Originally posted by Topcat View Post
                If Norton continues to improve, I'll change my vote from RT to DT...still need RT in draft though, maybe DT in round 1 and RT in round 2...and for backup purposes, I still think for depth, we should sign a dependable old FA RT...
                Continues to improve? Arent we still waiting for him to improve? I think Crosby is going to rape his ass this week and we need to somehow give him some help.

Comment

• Bolts4ever213
                  Day One...
                  • Mar 2019
                  • Brentwood, 94513
                  • Send PM

This is tough, because I picked RT, but who drafts a RT in the first round of the draft? The Raiders did last year, but it wasn’t the best pick. I’m thinking the RT and DT will be fixed through a free agent.

Comment

• wu-dai clan
                    Smooth Operation
                    • May 2017
                    • Send PM

Originally posted by equivocation View Post

I think you have to be light in numbers somewhere. If you're light in the secondary you need studs there to offset the numbers. If you're light in the box you need studs there to offset the numbers.

I'm all for inviting the run and having numbers in the secondary. The difference between an average defense and a great defense is also stopping it the run when you invite it.
                    Yes. Yes.

I am trying to differentiate between stopping the run and stopping the run first.

It is a compromise to do what is necessary to put a roof over the opponent's offense.

We could easily be 3-0, even as we are a fail at defending the run.

To your point, it is especially pleasing to see Nasir and Alohi bring the lumber--gotta have that.
                    We do not play modern football.

Comment

• Bolt Dude
                      Draftnik
                      • Oct 2020
                      • Send PM

Originally posted by Bolts4ever213 View Post
                      This is tough, because I picked RT, but who drafts a RT in the first round of the draft? The Raiders did last year, but it wasn’t the best pick. I’m thinking the RT and DT will be fixed through a free agent.
                      RTs are drafted in the first round all the time. Bryan Bulaga was drafted in the first round. Tristan Wirfs and Isaiah Wilson last year, and Caleb McGeary the year before that.

A hole in the OL is a hole on the OL. And holes need to be filled. Plenty of premium pass rushers (like Joey Bosa) line up over RT.
                      Our quarterback is a golden god.

Comment

• wu-dai clan
                        Smooth Operation
                        • May 2017
                        • Send PM

Originally posted by Bolt Dude View Post

RTs are drafted in the first round all the time. Bryan Bulaga was drafted in the first round. Tristan Wirfs and Isaiah Wilson last year, and Caleb McGeary the year before that.

A hole in the OL is a hole on the OL. And holes need to be filled. Plenty of premium pass rushers (like Joey Bosa) line up over RT.
                        Would you consider C/OG Linderbaum late in Round 1 ?

I see a general need for high talent at OL.

This guy pinned Wirfs in Iowa HS wrestling competition.
                        We do not play modern football.

Comment

• ChargersPowderBlue
                          Registered Charger Fan
                          • Aug 2019
                          • Send PM

Originally posted by wu-dai clan View Post

All the talk about DT fails to take into account the fact that we scheme to tempt opponents to run.
                          Go back and reread Staley concepts.
                          Give Zack Martin credit.
                          This story will settle out as this season plays out.

Improvement at run defense will come from better tackling, greater familiarity with StaleyD, and improved health for JJones. Merrill will succeed Linval.
                          Maybe Leal of TAMU will fall, but I doubt it.
                          DT is like the RB position group. You need a 1-2 punch or the right rotation to keep guys fresh. Add to the fact that DL is the most physically demanding of all the position groups.

What Staley says about what he's doing with his scheme is fine and dandy. But you're going to have to stop the run, especially when you're playing teams that are more of a running team on offense. Another thing, you can't rely on turnovers to bail you out. You're not going to be getting turnovers all the time. You're not always going to win some games the same way as you did in previous games. Every game is going to be different.

Originally posted by Boltjolt View Post

We dont neccassarily need a fatboy in the middle, just somebody who is good. Tillery isnt that good. Justin Jones is better but sure we can use another DT as Joseph may be gone after this season.

I was always a Geno Atkins fan and he is older now, i believe he is available. Dont know why he isnt signed and im sure he isnt what he used to be but id bet he is still better than Tillery. 1 year deal may be worth a shot but no idea if he is injured in any way.
                          Justin Jones is overrated and stuff like he did in the Washington game where he got away with a penalty and didn't get called for it worries me. I do think he's a good run stopper and is a hard worker. Tillery is our best pass rusher in the middle. After him, the interior lacks pass rushers. Tillery has pass rush ability, but he is bad at run stopping. Jones is a good run defender, but he is weak at pass rushing. The weakness of Jones and Tillery trade off. What the team needs is to mitigate the issues that are on the roster. My stance is; we have plenty of capable run defenders in the middle. Pass rushers in the middle, not so much.

The last time we had a good pass rusher on the interior was Philon and Liuget. Philon is with the Raiders and he is doing well with them.

Atkins is in his 30s now. Maybe a player like him and younger would be better. This team's defense will be scary when they can get players like a Fletcher Cox or Deforest Buckner in interior to compliment Bosa and the other edge rushers.

Comment

Working...
                          X