• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • rikardo
    Registered Charger Fan
    • Jun 2013
    • Send PM

The contract numbers may look overpaid right now. But I see 3 things (with this signing). No 1 You send a great message when you pay your on players. Its a great message for players like Allen, Verrett, Ingram, Flucker, Te'o (hell even Reyes who is in his contract year).. No 2 . TT is gambleing on this guys future, and thats what you have to do, pay for what they will do, not the Raider stragedy of signing vet FA on what they have done. No 3. It shows TT does not care who drafted you, I know it's stupid, but some have mentioned this before (AJ drafted him) .
    Last edited by rikardo; 06-09-2015, 08:01 PM.

Comment

• Formula 21
      The Future is Now
      • Jun 2013
      • Republic of San Diego
      • Send PM

Draft another DE in the 1st. Give us some more talent and see how we'll perform. Time to build this D lines.
      Now, if you excuse me, I have some Charger memories to suppress.
      The Wasted Decade is done.
      Build Back Better.

Comment

• RTPbolt
        Charger Fan till the end
        • Jun 2013
        • North Carolina
        • Send PM

Hell id take an FA good talent too that wasnt a blockbuster deal. There are good guys that come available. I do agree its time for some studs on the DL to be drafted like the JESTS go after. We have a solid DB core now so building up front is important. I think our OL might just have bern corrected if they gel so DL is the next weakest link not having seen this season quite yet.

Who knows...maybe we are t done yet and a good vet will come available in cuts this year.

RTPbolt

Comment

• SDFan
          Woober Goober
          • Jun 2013
          • Dolores, CO
          • Retired
          • Send PM

Originally posted by Formula Two One View Post
          Draft another DE in the 1st. Give us some more talent and see how we'll perform. Time to build this D lines.
          that would assume talent alone is the problem up front. We sure seemed better at Turd Polishing and coaching guys up before our last DL coach defected to Denver...
          Life is too short to drink cheap beer :beer:

Comment

• Lightningwill_420

Originally posted by SDfan View Post
            that would assume talent alone is the problem up front. We sure seemed better at Turd Polishing and coaching guys up before our last DL coach defected to Denver...
            Don Johnson started with the Chargers in 2009 - that's about the time the guy who ruled our D-line, Jamal Williams, got old.

I don't remember our big star D-linemen getting any "coaching up" in the years just before Johnson got the job.

Did Luis Castillo get better with experience? No. His best years were his first years. He only got worse.

Did Igor Olshansky get better? Hell no, that effing quitter.

Jacques Cesaire? He got better because he got benched and turned out to be a better backup than a starter. I thought he had one of his best years way late in his career under Johnson.

Brandon McKinney? No.

Ryan Binghom? Nope.

Dave Ball? No.

Comment

• Formula 21
              The Future is Now
              • Jun 2013
              • Republic of San Diego
              • Send PM

Originally posted by SDfan View Post
              We seem to be better at diamond depolishing.
              Now, if you excuse me, I have some Charger memories to suppress.
              The Wasted Decade is done.
              Build Back Better.

Comment

• blueman
                Registered Charger Fan
                • Jun 2013
                • Send PM

Jeez guys, that's like blaming the secondary coach for all the crappy secondaries we've had, or the QB coach for not polishing a turd into a capable backup QB, or...

If you don't have the talent, ANY coach would have troubles. There just aren't that many players in the league capable of playing at the level you want them to. They try, but they are what they are.

Comment

• Stinky Wizzleteats+
                  Grammar Police
                  • Jun 2013
                  • Send PM

How many 3/4 DE's have his sack and Tackle for loss numbers over the last three years in his age group? Please also take into account the loss of our top dline player relivent to our other options, a rookie or a hired gun yet to be determined...
                  Go Rivers!

Comment

• Lightningwill_420

Originally posted by Stinky Wizzleteats+ View Post
                    How many 3/4 DE's have his sack and Tackle for loss numbers over the last three years in his age group? Please also take into account the loss of our top dline player relivent to our other options, a rookie or a hired gun yet to be determined...
                    Yea, Liuget makes great plays. He also seems to make just as many terrible plays. At least he's been durable.

Comment

• Steve
                      Administrator
                      • Jun 2013
                      • South Carolina
                      • Meteorologist
                      • Send PM

Originally posted by Engine Engine Number 420 View Post
                      Okay.
                      I just did a quick Google search of free agent pass rushers from this year.
                      There was a dude available named Jerry Hughes - 20 sacks the last two years. He signed for less than what Liuget just signed for.
                      But, you're right. My brief Google search didn't pull up many free agent pass rushers that had much hoopla from Internet writers.
                      There were some backup "situational" pass rushers who signed for less than half of what Liuget got. And there was a dude who retired for religious reasons who, if he were not religious, could have been signed for less than what Liuget got.
                      You can't compare Hughes to Liuget, they don't play the same position. Liuget is a 3 technique DT and Hughes is an edge rusher.

I get that interior guys have a value beyond their production because taking on blocks and allowing others to make plays is their job. Of course it would be nice if he consistently did that. My issues is that he is inconsistent in terms of being stout and in terms of making plays.

With the exception of the injury issues, I don't see how this isn't exactly the same deal as we have with Butler. Talented, potential impact player who leaves a lot of plays on the field and is inconsistent to the point that he blows assignments and allows a lot of big plays, so much that their production doesn't offset the plays that they make. In fact, if anything, Butler's screw ups were less catastrophic (only giving up 5 and 10 yards), so they are easier to live with.

We got away with the signing the guy and then he developed into the player we hoped he would be with Weddle. A lot will depend on the structure of the deal. If we signed a deal were we can kick Liuget to the street if he underachieves, then we did OK. But if not, if we are running the risk of keeping and underachieving guy who is just going to get paid an ton and not going to produce, then there is no way we can get rid of him, ($30 mill in bonuses is tough to stomach if you can't spread the amount out some).
                      Last edited by Steve; 06-12-2015, 01:33 AM.

Comment

• Panamamike
                        Registered Charger Fan
                        • Jun 2013
                        • Send PM

Originally posted by Steve View Post
                        You can't compare Hughes to Liuget, they don't play the same position. Liuget is a 3 technique DT and Hughes is an edge rusher.

I get that interior guys have a value beyond their production because taking on blocks and allowing others to make plays is their job. Of course it would be nice if he consistently did that. My issues is that he is inconsistent in terms of being stout and in terms of making plays.

With the exception of the injury issues, I don't see how this isn't exactly the same deal as we have with Butler. Talented, potential impact player who leaves a lot of plays on the field and is inconsistent to the point that he blows assignments and allows a lot of big plays, so much that their production doesn't offset the plays that they make. In fact, if anything, Butler's screw ups were less catastrophic (only giving up 5 and 10 yards), so they are easier to live with.

We got away with the signing the guy and then he developed into the player we hoped he would be with Weddle. A lot will depend on the structure of the deal. If we signed a deal were we can kick Liuget to the street if he underachieves, then we did OK. But if not, if we are running the risk of keeping and underachieving guy who is just going to get paid an ton and not going to produce, then there is no way we can get rid of him, ($30 mill in bonuses is tough to stomach if you can't spread the amount out some).
                        Yeah, there are No guarantees when signing guys to extensions. However, if we can maintain some presence of health at the LB positions, both inside and out, I believe that will help Liuget a lot. I know you disagree with this, and have advocated cutting both Liuget and Reyes. Time will tell. I believe our D as a whole, if we can avoid injuries attacking the same positions 3 deep (it has to swing back to the healthy side of the meter at some point dammit!!!!!), is going to surprise a lot of people on this board. The talent is there.

Comment

• Coachmarkos
                          Registered Charger Fan
                          • Jun 2013
                          • SoDak
                          • Technology Director
                          • Send PM

Originally posted by Stinky Wizzleteats+ View Post
                          Exactly.

I think people are blind or something. He's the best D Line player on the team, by far. And he's young, and durable.

I keep seeing people rag on Donald Butler's contract... the year before he signed it, he played great. Let's hope it was injuries last year.

Good Grief, we've almost circled around to the days when if we sign or re-sign a player that isn't a First Team All NFL team player, he's trash.

Good for Corey!
                          "...of course that's just my opinion, I could be wrong."

Comment

Working...
                          X