POLL: Is it Time to Fire Vizzy? - K Dustin Hopkins Signed!

Collapse
X
Collapse
First Prev Next Last

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Xenos
    • Feb 2019
    • Send PM

Originally posted by Air Coryell View Post
    pick up the kicker from Balt practice squad. Keep 2 kickers through the bye week. Then pick one. Better than sitting on our hands.
    Carrying two kickers is kind of a waste unfortunately.

Comment

• Topcat
      AKA "Pollcat"
      • Jan 2019
      • Send PM

Originally posted by Xenos View Post
      What a novel and great idea to actually help the team improve. But demanding someone be cut is easier lol.
      At some point, u have to cut yer losses. How many games are u willing to lose due to failed figgies or PAT's? One? Two? Three? Clock is ticking...I'll cut Vizzy slack for one more game...if he makes 3 figgies and only misses one PAT out of four, he stays...if he misses 1-2 figgies and/or 1-2 PAT's, and ESPECIALLY if we lose due to any of those misses, I'm on the horn to poach Project Verity...

Comment

• Xenos
        • Feb 2019
        • Send PM

Originally posted by Topcat View Post

At some point, u have to cut yer losses. How many games are u willing to lose due to failed figgies or PAT's? One? Two? Three? Clock is ticking...I'll cut Vizzy slack for one more game...if he makes 3 figgies and only misses one PAT out of four, he stays...if he misses 1-2 figgies and/or 1-2 PAT's, and ESPECIALLY if we lose due to any of those misses, I'm on the horn to poach Project Verity...
        He has only miss one FG. The PAT misses are concerning but it seems to be affecting most kickers in this league. Maybe it’s fixable.

Comment

• UglyTruth
          Registered Charger Fan
          • Oct 2018
          • Send PM

Originally posted by Topcat View Post

There’s no guarantee that Verity will be available at that point if Chargers look for a kicker weeks away from now.

And sure there’s no guarantee that he will be better than Viz either but based on feedback from Tucker, and preseason data and learning from the best STs in the league, he’s well worth the try.

I wonder what Viz kicking % is in practice.
          Tom Telesco’s Results in 9 years as Chargers GM:

- 69-74 record
          - 0 division titles in 9 yrs as GM
          - Worst record among all active GMs with same tenure
          - 6th worst winning percentage among all active GMs overall
          - 2 playoff wins despite elite QB all 9 yrs
          - Team still has the same weaknesses (Oline and run defense) that it had when hired as GM in 2013
          - Consistently puts together horrible depth, expects starters to never miss games

Comment

• Bolt4Knob
            Registered Charger Fan
            • Dec 2019
            • Send PM

Originally posted by UglyTruth View Post

There’s no guarantee that Verity will be available at that point if Chargers look for a kicker weeks away from now.

And sure there’s no guarantee that he will be better than Viz either but based on feedback from Tucker, and preseason data and learning from the best STs in the league, he’s well worth the try.

I wonder what Viz kicking % is in practice.
            This is the problem - say the Chargers do sign Verity and replace Viz - no guarantee that when the real games start, Verity won't miss kicks either

I think the Chargers need to get Vizcaino at least this week and see how he does. I think you have to let a player get better and improve. And no guaranteed a Tuesday tryout of 15 kicks will mean a damn thing.

Comment

• CivilBolt
              Registered Charger Fan
              • Nov 2019
              • Send PM

Originally posted by Bolt4Knob View Post

This is the problem - say the Chargers do sign Verity and replace Viz - no guarantee that when the real games start, Verity won't miss kicks either

I think the Chargers need to get Vizcaino at least this week and see how he does. I think you have to let a player get better and improve. And no guaranteed a Tuesday tryout of 15 kicks will mean a damn thing.
              The positive for Verity is he’s getting compliment from Justin Tucker for being pretty good. How good is the question.

Comment

• Bolt Dude
                Draftnik
                • Oct 2020
                • Send PM

Originally posted by Xenos View Post

Carrying two kickers is kind of a waste unfortunately.
                Right now the Bucs are one of the teams carrying two. Succop is the starter but they have a stud rookie, Jose Borregales, on the PS. I’d like TT take a look at him. Huge leg and was perfect from 50+ yards last year at Miami.

On the other hand, maybe Staley will change the game by never kicking a FG or PAT ever again.
                Our quarterback is a golden god.

Comment

• Heatmiser
                  HarbaughHarrisonHeatMiser
                  • Jun 2013
                  • Send PM

Verity must be pretty good. I mean kickers don't get hurt that often and Tucker and Butker are the absolute two best kickers in the NFL right now. Baltimore wouldn't be using a PS spot on this kid unless he was really something. But if they do it, Vizcaino has to go. When he was in the competition during preseason, Badgely actually outkicked him. Doesn't bode well for him mentally
                  Like, how am I a traitor? Your team are traitors.

Comment

• Bolt4Knob
                    Registered Charger Fan
                    • Dec 2019
                    • Send PM

Originally posted by Heatmiser View Post
                    Verity must be pretty good. I mean kickers don't get hurt that often and Tucker and Butker are the absolute two best kickers in the NFL right now. Baltimore wouldn't be using a PS spot on this kid unless he was really something. But if they do it, Vizcaino has to go. When he was in the competition during preseason, Badgely actually outkicked him. Doesn't bode well for him mentally
                    Its interesting - unless the Ravens are blocking Verity - but hte Colts are trying out kickers, Brett Maher and Michael Badgeley

So no Verity. Maybe the Ravens are protecting him like I said. And this is the dilemma with Vizcaino - are you making a short term change for the sake of change or can he improve. The Chargers cut Lambo loose pretty early, one year. But they held on Badgeley well into year 3. So I think Vizcaino needs more than 6 games.

One would hope - that as he gets more comfortable in the NFL - he improves. Every other position gets time to improve - why not kicker too.

I truly hope after the game - as I do not expect Tucker to talk to him before the game other than sayiing Hi - but that Justin Tucker talks to the kid, gives him some words of wisdom about kicking in the NFL that will help him. Crosby talked to the Bengals kicker after this past Sunday, saw a litle of the conversation - so kickers stick together.

Comment

• Topcat
                      AKA "Pollcat"
                      • Jan 2019
                      • Send PM

Originally posted by Heatmiser View Post
                      Vizzy was doing well until that really bad week he had, missed 2-3 figgie attempts...he's been inconsistent ever since...wonder if that was when we lost Windt, the long snapper, due to injury...

Comment

• Topcat
                        AKA "Pollcat"
                        • Jan 2019
                        • Send PM

One thing in Vizzy's favor is that he's 6/7 on figgies for 85%...so, not too bad...10/14 on PAT's...that's the problem area...

Comment

• Parcells
                          Registered Charger Fan
                          • Jun 2013
                          • Send PM

Can’t have a kicker constantly worrying about his job. So perhaps Staley is just telling him, “You’re our guy. We’re sticking with you.” Once you start trying out new kickers, you’ve basically given up on your current kicker.

Comment

Working...
                          X