Chargers @ Ravens Game Day Thread / Post Game Discussion (Wk 6)

Collapse
X
Collapse
First Prev Next Last

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by Boltjolt View Post

No,....not what i meant.
    im mostly talking about our media, but yes some people on TV like Jeremiah who is a SD fan and hasnt mentioned it.

They dont ask Staley about it so he dont need to say anything about it and hasnt on his own mentioned the deep passes such as.....we need to throw the ball deep more, would like to take a shot with Guyton, etc. It isnt an issue with many that cover the team. Popper hasnt mentioned it. ONLY YOU!

The nonsense is all you bud. If a long ball throw was easier to score all the time then why doesnt every team throw one on every drive? CMon now. I think the coaches know more than you on how to run an offense.

How many 45+ air throw TDs does Drew Brees have? Not sure he can even do that with his arm lol..... yet he is #2 alltime in yards, #2 in TDs while doing 90% of that in this offense. Go figure.
    If long passes are a bad idea, then why does any team do them? Most teams do them occasionally to try to get a quick score so that they do not have to drive the field with many plays on every possession. There is no reason for us to be taking so few shots with our deep passing capability when we have proven that we can make those plays work.

We are leaving points on the table by missing out on some quick points through the deep passing game (like we scored against Cleveland) and taking some shots would probably help loosen the defense underneath if defenses knew that were going to have to account/pay attention to the deep pass possibility.

Nobody is going to run deep passes all the time, but mixing a few in can make a big difference. There is a huge difference between the 2-3 shots mainly, but not exclusively, to Guyton that I am suggesting we take per game and what would be a dozen long pass plays if we did one on every possession.

And the Saints hit plenty of 45+ yard passes during Brees' era. Cooks and Meachem had a bunch of long receptions. Colston had some too.

Comment

• Boltjolt
      Dont let the PBs fool ya
      • Jun 2013
      • Henderson, NV
      • Send PM

Originally posted by chaincrusher View Post

If long passes are a bad idea, then why does any team do them? Most teams do them occasionally to try to get a quick score so that they do not have to drive the field with many plays on every possession. There is no reason for us to be taking so few shots with our deep passing capability when we have proven that we can make those plays work.

We are leaving points on the table by missing out on some quick points through the deep passing game (like we scored against Cleveland) and taking some shots would probably help loosen the defense underneath if defenses knew that were going to have to account/pay attention to the deep pass possibility.

Nobody is going to run deep passes all the time, but mixing a few in can make a big difference. There is a huge difference between the 2-3 shots mainly, but not exclusively, to Guyton that I am suggesting we take per game and what would be a dozen long pass plays if we did one on every possession.

And the Saints hit plenty of 45+ yard passes during Brees' era. Cooks and Meachem had a bunch of long receptions. Colston had some too.
      Ok......dude, when i mentioned the two long balls by MW you said 45+AIR throws and kinda disregarded it. That was your basis for this stupid argument. Not catch and run.....like it matters anyways. And who said it was a bad idea? Do you understand what you read?
      Im calling bullshit that Brees has a bunch of 45+ AIR throws. OK he has some 45 + yard throws and TD passes but some, hec some of those are from the hundreds of screens and short throws to RBs the Saints run or from a WR catch and run. You are big dealing thiss topic when it dont need to be.

Im Done......like talking to a wall.

Tired Ariana Grande GIF by NETFLIX

Comment

Ok......dude, when i mentioned the two long balls by MW you said 45+AIR throws and kinda disregarded it. That was your basis for this stupid argument. Not catch and run.....like it matters anyways. And who said it was a bad idea? Do you understand what you read?
        Im calling bullshit that Brees has a bunch of 45+ AIR throws. OK he has some 45 + yard throws and TD passes but some, hec some of those are from the hundreds of screens and short throws to RBs the Saints run or from a WR catch and run. You are big dealing thiss topic when it dont need to be.

Im Done......like talking to a wall.

Tired Ariana Grande GIF by NETFLIX
        I never said 45+ yard air yard throws. Show me where I said that with respect to the 45+ yard passing plays. A QB can release a long pass early and it might only go 35-40 yards before it hits the receiver on the dead run.

The point is that we are simply not attempting long passes like all of the ones that Guyton and Johnson caught last year.

Further, absolutely zero of the 10 45+ yard passing plays from last year were short screens or anything close to that. They were ALL long passes. They were Guyton's long receptions in the following games: @TB, JAC, @NO, and @LV; Johnson's long receptions in the following games: @TB, LV, NYJ, @BUF; and Williams' long receptions in the games @NO and @KC.

Like I said, I went play by play over last season's games and I watched Herbert's youtube highlights from last year. Every one of those plays is on that video.

As for Brees, my discussion was general, but he definitely did throw a number of deep passes per Payton's play calling. His arm, while never elite, was not weak until the end of his career. Meachem in particular had multiple bomb type receptions from Brees in just about every year he played for the Saints. He was a 4.39 40 yard dash guy.

Comment

• Boltjolt
          Dont let the PBs fool ya
          • Jun 2013
          • Henderson, NV
          • Send PM

Originally posted by chaincrusher View Post

I never said 45+ yard air yard throws. Show me where I said that with respect to the 45+ yard passing plays. A QB can release a long pass early and it might only go 35-40 yards before it hits the receiver on the dead run.

The point is that we are simply not attempting long passes like all of the ones that Guyton and Johnson caught last year.

Further, absolutely zero of the 10 45+ yard passing plays from last year were short screens or anything close to that. They were ALL long passes. They were Guyton's long receptions in the following games: @TB, JAC, @NO, and @LV; Johnson's long receptions in the following games: @TB, LV, NYJ, @BUF; and Williams' long receptions in the games @NO and @KC.

Like I said, I went play by play over last season's games and I watched Herbert's youtube highlights from last year. Every one of those plays is on that video.

As for Brees, my discussion was general, but he definitely did throw a number of deep passes per Payton's play calling. His arm, while never elite, was not weak until the end of his career. Meachem in particular had multiple bomb type receptions from Brees in just about every year he played for the Saints. He was a 4.39 40 yard dash guy.
          Right but you did mention 45+ Air throws somewhere. Im just not gonna look for it. It may not even be in this thread. I think it is back before MW had those 2 long TD catches.
          You complain about the long ball in every thread. Thats why i keep saying it dont matter if the ball travels that far or not.

Comment

Right but you did mention 45+ Air throws somewhere. Im just not gonna look for it. It may not even be in this thread. I think it is back before MW had those 2 long TD catches.
            You complain about the long ball in every thread. Thats why i keep saying it dont matter if the ball travels that far or not.

Last year, we were very successful at deep passes. We were not good at those passes. We were great at them. Regardless of air yards involved, the 10 passes that I specifically identified from last year would be considered deep passes by anyone. Nobody is discussing short passes that were turned into a big gainer after the ball was caught. I did discuss air yards in the context of long passes in my discussion with equivocation because he raised that point, but I do not believe I did so with respect to the 45+ yard passes specifically because I am the one that raised those kinds of passes in the first instance, not him.

My concern is that we are not doing those passes this year for reasons escaping all understanding and that is a mistake. Yes, a player can take a short pass and break off a big run, but that is not likely to happen. With the long pass plays, the yards are baked into the pass itself. As soon as you have a catch, you have a big gain.

We like big gains, so let's do some of those passes--pretty please, with sugar on top of it.

Comment

• like54ninjas
              Registered Charger Fan
              • Oct 2017
              • Great White North
              • Draftnik
              • Send PM

LAST 8 GAMES OF 2020
              GM 17 = 3 explosive plays 27 (T-Billy), 33 (JJacks), 48T (MikeDub)
              GM 16 = 3 explosive plays 25 (MikeDub), 26 (Parham), 29 (Guyton)
              GM 15 = 3 explosive plays 25 (Hill), 26T (T-Billy), Guyton (53)
              GM 14 = 1 explosive play 25 (MikeDub)
              GM 13 = 0 explosive
              GM 12 = 1 explosive play 55 (T-Billy)
              GM 11 = 2 explosive plays 39T (MikeDub), 54 (T-Billy)
              GM 10 = 1 explosive play 28 (MikeDub)

14 Total Explosive Plays/3 TDs In 8 Games

FIRST 6 GAMES OF 2021
              GM 1 = 0 explosive plays
              GM 2 = 2 explosive plays 27 (MikeDub), 42 (Slayer)
              GM 3 = 1 explosive play 43 (MikeDub)
              GM 4 = 1 explosive play 34 (Anderson)
              GM 5 = 4 explosive plays 29 (Cook), 37 (Slayer), 42T/72T (MikeDub)
              GM 6 = 1 explosive play 26 (MikeDub)

9 Total Explosive Plays/2 TDs in 6 Games

Only 2 more games for a semi accurate comparison……….
              My 2021 Adopt-A-Bolt List

MikeDub
              K9
              Nasir
              Tillery
              Parham
              Reed

Comment

Working...
              X