• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • KNSD
    Registered Charger Hater
    • Jun 2013
    • Send PM

Well if the objective is to create jobs, I'd rather put the money into funding scholarships for students at SDSU and UCSD. Doing so will create more long term jobs in San Diego than building a stadium.

Also, putting that same money into fixing streets, etc.. creates jobs in the short term and long term.

etc...
    Prediction:
    Correct: Chargers CI fails miserably.
    Fail: Team stays in San Diego until their lease runs out in 2020. (without getting new deal done by then) .
    Sig Bet WIN: The Chargers will file for relocation on January 15.

Comment

• richpjr
      Registered Charger Fan
      • Jun 2013
      • Nashville
      • Send PM

Originally posted by KNSD View Post
      Well if the objective is to create jobs, I'd rather put the money into funding scholarships for students at SDSU and UCSD. Doing so will create more long term jobs in San Diego than building a stadium.

Also, putting that same money into fixing streets, etc.. creates jobs in the short term and long term.

etc...
      That is clearly not the objective to build a stadium. Just pointing out that it's not entirely a gift to a billionaire owner.

Comment

• sandiego17
        Registered Charger Fan
        • Jun 2013
        • Send PM

etc...
        Nothing provides an ROI like a public library. Just build libraries.

Comment

• Panamamike
          Registered Charger Fan
          • Jun 2013
          • Send PM

Originally posted by sandiego17 View Post
          Nothing provides an ROI like a public library. Just build libraries.
          Don't forget the great ROI on hosting the Olympics too...

Comment

• Panamamike
            Registered Charger Fan
            • Jun 2013
            • Send PM

etc...
            I agree on the infrastructure projects. As to the scholarships.....there is no guarantee the recipient stays in SD post graduation, nor that they will be able to find meaningful work at all upon graduation.

Comment

• KNSD
              Registered Charger Hater
              • Jun 2013
              • Send PM

Originally posted by Panamamike View Post
              I agree on the infrastructure projects. As to the scholarships.....there is no guarantee the recipient stays in SD post graduation, nor that they will be able to find meaningful work at all upon graduation.
              There's a much higher chance a recipient stays in SD post graduation than if they didn't go to school here. And you only need one or two with a good idea. These are the jobs creators of the future. Qualcomm (a UCSD professor I believe), Cymer, etc...

And yeah I used to be a library critic too until we went there on a random Saturday and it was packed with people. Seems like it is getting used by quite a few people.
              Prediction:
              Correct: Chargers CI fails miserably.
              Fail: Team stays in San Diego until their lease runs out in 2020. (without getting new deal done by then) .
              Sig Bet WIN: The Chargers will file for relocation on January 15.

Comment

• floydefisher
                Registered Charger Fan
                • Jul 2013
                • siberiacuse, ny
                • Send PM

Originally posted by Viejo Bolt View Post
                So each one of the 32 teams gets $226 million in shared revenue, mostly from the TV deal. So here's what needs to happen. Each year every team has to give $30 million of that right off the top to the NFL for a "new stadium fund." That way the league would have close to a billion dollars each year to spend on the market that needed a new stadium the worst. Over a 35 year period each franchise would get their new stadium without the league having to rape the fan base in each of those locales. After all, stadia are big money losers to the cities that cave in to the NFL rape job. Make them build their own playpens.

But of course the NFL will never change until they are FORCED to do so. Well I think San Diego and Oakland are about ready to give the NFL the middle finger. Soon the rest of the country will wake up and do the same. I hate to sacrifice my Chargers to this cause but it appears that may need to happen. I say F*CK the NFL. I'm sick of their greedy bullshit.

http://espn.go.com/nfl/story/_/id/13...evenue-sharing

Nice idea....how much in players salary are you willing to cut to make this happen?
                sigpic

Comment

• richpjr
                  Registered Charger Fan
                  • Jun 2013
                  • Nashville
                  • Send PM

Originally posted by floydefisher View Post
                  Nice idea....how much in players salary are you willing to cut to make this happen?
                  Considering that $30 million is more than the Green Bay Packers net profit was last year, they literally would have to cut players or some other expenses just to be a break even company.

Comment

• Viejo Bolt
                    Registered Charger Fan
                    • Jun 2013
                    • Send PM

Originally posted by richpjr View Post
                    Considering that $30 million is more than the Green Bay Packers net profit was last year, they literally would have to cut players or some other expenses just to be a break even company.
                    Not really interested in getting into a debate over this because I guess I don't really care that much, but you're telling me that if the net shared revenue to the teams was "only" $195M instead of $226 million, the teams would have trouble being profitable? Sorry not buying that one. The salary cap (therefore player salaries) is a fixed % of revenue. How did these poor teams survive when the TV revenue was $30M lower? I'm sure they barely scraped by.

Comment

• richpjr
                      Registered Charger Fan
                      • Jun 2013
                      • Nashville
                      • Send PM

Not really interested in getting into a debate over this because I guess I don't really care that much, but you're telling me that if the net shared revenue to the teams was "only" $195M instead of $226 million, the teams would have trouble being profitable? Sorry not buying that one. The salary cap (therefore player salaries) is a fixed % of revenue. How did these poor teams survive when the TV revenue was $30M lower? I'm sure they barely scraped by.
                      I'm saying that the Packers had a net profit of around $25 million last year. If they had to contribute $30 million into a stadium fund, they'd be at a $5 million dollar loss for the year. That money would come from somewhere, presumably a reduction in player salaries.

Comment

• Viejo Bolt
                        Registered Charger Fan
                        • Jun 2013
                        • Send PM

Originally posted by richpjr View Post
                        I'm saying that the Packers had a net profit of around $25 million last year. If they had to contribute $30 million into a stadium fund, they'd be at a $5 million dollar loss for the year. That money would come from somewhere, presumably a reduction in player salaries.
                        Player salaries would be less by default according to the formula. But anyway, the point of the thread was that the NFL could afford to build their own stadia and not rape communities. There's a hundred reasons why that will never happen, but it's a fact IMO. Their brilliant finance guys could find a way to minimize the annual investment into such a fund and still build their playpens, but they would never want to do it because it comes with such a shitty ROI. Over time, the annual contribution necessary from the teams would be reduced because of capital appreciation in the fund and the time/value of money. But these greedy bastards would never do it regardless. Especially when the sheepish citizens of places like Minnesota or Cincinnati gladly bend over for the periodic reaming instead.

Comment

• bonehead
                          Undrafted
                          • Jul 2013
                          • TBD
                          • Retired
                          • Send PM

Player salaries would be less by default according to the formula. But anyway, the point of the thread was that the NFL could afford to build their own stadia and not rape communities. There's a hundred reasons why that will never happen, but it's a fact IMO. Their brilliant finance guys could find a way to minimize the annual investment into such a fund and still build their playpens, but they would never want to do it because it comes with such a shitty ROI. Over time, the annual contribution necessary from the teams would be reduced because of capital appreciation in the fund and the time/value of money. But these greedy bastards would never do it regardless. Especially when the sheepish citizens of places like Minnesota or Cincinnati gladly bend over for the periodic reaming instead.
                          In Wisconsin they pulled 500 million out of the UW budget and are putting 500 million into an arena for the Bucks......
                          Forget it Donny you're out of your element

Shut the fuck up Donny

Comment

Working...
                          X