Collapse
First Prev Next Last

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Lightningwill_420

Originally posted by bonehead View Post
    I thought the Chargers were predominantly a power scheme with some ZBS thrown in .... Shanahan and Kubiak might be the only pure ZBS teams out there.
    I think ZBS is what you get if you bang a Raiders fan.

Comment

• Steve
      Administrator
      • Jun 2013
      • South Carolina
      • Meteorologist
      • Send PM

Every team in the NFL runs some zone blocking. You have to, just because you have to be able to practice against it.

We are probably 2/3 zone and 1/3 power, with most of our power stuff being the counters that slow/stop the backside pursuit, although even that we run a lot of the old Dan Henning "wham" play, with the TE coming across the formation and blocking the rest of the play like an inside zone. We ran mostly power under Norv, but Mathews was a terrible power RB, so we ran a lot of zone stuff in Norv's last couple of years.

The Shanahan offense was pretty much straight zone blocking attached to a west coast offense, and a much bigger emphasis on the running game then most teams used. They also favor a lot of QB bootlegs to hold the backside pursuit instead of the counter plays that most teams favor. And instead of all the quick short passes, the bootlegs and play action stuff is a bigger part of the passing game, although they do a fair amount of shorter passes and crossing routes.

The OL we have put together is not going to be a good power OL. Franklin, Barksdale, Fluker .... those guys are not going pull, lead and block guys downfield. We didn't put the line together to do that. They will make a solid wall and either fire right our and knock people off the line, or they will fire off one way and run a quick trap with a counter action from the RB to keep the backside DE/OLB from running the plays down to the frontside.

Gordon ran a split of power and zone in college. Even though Barry Alverez is not the HC anymore, he is still the AD, and every wisconsin team still has a heavy dose of zone in it, which is fitting because Wisconsin is one of the places that really developed the zone running game. And it should not be lost on people that the big knock on Gordon was that he got so many yards behind such a huge OL.... Why is it that so many of our guys are so large? We are trying to put together the same kinda group that Wisconsin did. Not necessarily because they did it, but we want Gordon to be the same kind of back in the same kind of system.

The way Wisconsin teaches the 50 power (that's not what the Badgers call it, but that is what we called the same play under Marty when LT ran it), it runs more like a zone play. Hit quickly, don't wait for the blockers, just make the read quickly and take the seams/holes the defenses gives you. Gordon is one of the best RB at doing that. He is going to excel in our zone plays, and he can run the power stuff too, because we want him to make his read and then just make his cut. Our OL doesn't have to block forever. Just let them fire off the line, and maul people. If they can maul them, then they just have to keep them engaged.

The Chargers don't want the RB sitting back and waiting for blockers to get angles on defenders. Just get our RB going, and get whatever you can as fast as you can. Woodhead, Gordon and Oliver are all super quick. Just get them the ball and they get upfield and get positive yards. Let the OL block the DL/LB whatever way they want to go, create a seam and then the RB just has to pick his cut.

Comment

• Boltjolt
        Dont let the PBs fool ya
        • Jun 2013
        • Henderson, NV
        • Send PM

Originally posted by Big Dog View Post
        Yes, that was easy.

Better question, will he be elite, this year? Again I think the answer is yes. Even in that Wisconsin offense, 2600 yards and 8 ypc is amazing and another 42 yards and he passing Barry Sanders in College rushing all time. Dude can tote the rock, Dude is better than Ryan Mathews, and will stay on the field (less injuries). I think that means 1350 yards and like 8 TD's this year and at least one 200 yard game, which I think that makes him top 5 in the league.

Melvin Gordon > Ryan Mathews

Runs over 40 yards last year Ryan Mathews = 0 Melvin Gordon = 26

Therefore 16 games of Melvin Gordon > 1,000+ yards
        Im not expecting that but it would be great if he did it. If he goes over 1,000 and gets 5-6 TDs, and 400 recieving yards, he did good. There will be a rotation with the RBs unless there is an injury. He is a rookie and i expect most to hit the wall at some point. IMO he has room to improve and one is running up the middle.

Is Gordon better than Mathews right now? I wouldnt say that but all he needs to do is stay healthier and that is a big plus and he can be better quickly. Comparing what they did last year imo is ridiculous. One was injured and playing against NFL teams.
        Last edited by Boltjolt; 07-26-2015, 09:42 AM.

Comment

• Mister Hoarse
          No Sir, I Dont Like It
          • Jun 2013
          • Section 457
          • Migrant Film Worker
          • Send PM

Originally posted by Stinky Wizzleteats+ View Post
          Melvin Gordon elite, not yet not yet not yet...

Bela Lagosi is dead, not yet not yet not yet...

Ooooooh Meeeeellllvinnnnn.....

Not yet not yeeet!
          Send me some of that shit!
          Dean Spanos Should Get Ass Cancer Of The Ass!
          sigpic

Comment

• Stinky Wizzleteats+
            Grammar Police
            • Jun 2013
            • Send PM

I'll wrap it in an Ito burrito!
            Go Rivers!

Comment

• Lightningwill_420

Originally posted by Stinky Wizzleteats+ View Post
              I'll wrap it in an Ito burrito!