Chargers @ Bengals Pregame Discussion (wk 13)

Collapse
X
Collapse
First Prev Next Last

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • jamrock
    lawyers, guns and money
    • Sep 2017
    • Send PM

Originally posted by cmplxgal View Post
    NFL TV Schedule and Maps: Week 13, 2021

December 5, 2021

All listings are unofficial and subject to change. Check back often for updates.

NATIONAL BROADCASTS
    • Thursday Night: Dallas @ New Orleans (FOX/NFLN)
    • Sunday Night: Denver @ Kansas City (NBC)
    • Monday Night: New England @ Buffalo (ESPN)

CBS EARLY

Anchorage
    Fairbanks
    Honolulu

LA Chargers @ Cincinnati
    Ian Eagle, Charles Davis

Indianapolis @ Houston
    Greg Gumbel, Adam Archuleta

Philadelphia @ NY Jets
    Andrew Catalon, James Lofton

Minnesota @ Detroit
    Spero Dedes, Jay Feely

NO GAME due to blackout enforced by home team on FOX

The Chargers perform well on nationally televised games and this is pretty close to that

Comment

• Velo
      Ride!
      • Aug 2019
      • Everywhere
      • Leave the gun, take the cannolis
      • Send PM

Originally posted by BT3241 View Post
      Sorry our defense is just not good enough to take the Chargers to the playoffs and if they do make it will be 1 and out. Its week thirteen and they are still struggling they just don't have "it". My expectations have dropped enormously since the beginning of the season watching them play.We have an offense that could do well but without the defense were going no where
      Thanks for the shot of reality. It's hard to give up on the team after how the season started with a 4-1 record. But the way the defense is playing now, it's hard to see this team as playoff-worthy.

Comment

• chargeroo
        Fan since 1961
        • Jan 2019
        • Oregon
        • Retired Manager/Pastor
        • Send PM

Back in the late '70s into the early '80's the Chargers had some of those 48-45 kind of games with the Bengals - it could happen again this year. Neither team has a strong D and both have a good passing game.
        THE YEAR OF THE FLIP!

Comment

• chargeroo
          Fan since 1961
          • Jan 2019
          • Oregon
          • Retired Manager/Pastor
          • Send PM

Originally posted by BT3241 View Post
          Sorry our defense is just not good enough to take the Chargers to the playoffs and if they do make it will be 1 and out. Its week thirteen and they are still struggling they just don't have "it". My expectations have dropped enormously since the beginning of the season watching them play.We have an offense that could do well but without the defense were going no where
          Fully agree, the loss to Bronco's took the wind out of my sails.

It also convinced me that it's time for a new GM.
          THE YEAR OF THE FLIP!

Comment

• Bolt4Knob
            Registered Charger Fan
            • Dec 2019
            • Send PM

Originally posted by Velo View Post
            Thanks for the shot of reality. It's hard to give up on the team after how the season started with a 4-1 record. But the way the defense is playing now, it's hard to see this team as playoff-worthy.
            I understand the weaknesses of the team. But as of today, the Chargers are the 7th seed. They do not need anybody to lose - they can win games and get in

Its a new game Sunday - just have to see what happens. Sadly, with the defense having its liabilities and the special teams - its win or lose on the offense

Looking forward to it - last year heading into game 12, the Chargers were 3-8; this year 6-5 - so lets see what happens

Comment

• Velo
              Ride!
              • Aug 2019
              • Everywhere
              • Leave the gun, take the cannolis
              • Send PM

Originally posted by Bolt4Knob View Post

I understand the weaknesses of the team. But as of today, the Chargers are the 7th seed. They do not need anybody to lose - they can win games and get in

Its a new game Sunday - just have to see what happens. Sadly, with the defense having its liabilities and the special teams - its win or lose on the offense

Looking forward to it - last year heading into game 12, the Chargers were 3-8; this year 6-5 - so lets see what happens
              I'm on board with this, believe me. They control their own destiny not just for a wildcard, but for the division title. I am frustrated and am venting, but I am not giving up on the team. I'm looking forward to the rest of the season. As you note, at this point last season the Chargers were out of realistic playoff contention (and Lynn let the team know it) and here it is week 12 and the Chargers are holding onto a playoff seed.

Comment

• sonorajim
                Registered Charger Fan
                • Jan 2019
                • Send PM

Originally posted by Bolt4Knob View Post

It looks like we' ll finish 9-8 with a little luck. Better will require some changes.
                I was hoping Staley had a solid plan for a Dec- Jan drive to the playoffs. Losing 4 of the last 6 has shaken my confidence.
                So, show me.
                Go Bolts!

Comment

• Bolt4Knob
                  Registered Charger Fan
                  • Dec 2019
                  • Send PM

Originally posted by sonorajim View Post

It looks like we' ll finish 9-8 with a little luck. Better will require some changes.
                  I was hoping Staley had a solid plan for a Dec drive to the playoffs. Losing 4 of the last 6 has shaken my confidence.
                  So, show me.
                  Go Bolts!
                  I am a little disappointed that more stops aren't being pulled by Staley and the defense. As on offense, he is going on 4th down. I don't know the equivalent on defense. But I will say, 31st in 3rd down % is not going to cut it these final six games. Staley can continue to not bring pressure and hope the DBs can hold up, the pass rush finds an acorn every now and again and the defense gets some stops. Or he can try something. As with this defense, it might be frustrating to give up a 75 yard bomb - but a 12 play drive where the other team converts multiple 3rd and longs isnt good either

On offense, I would like to see some max protect and send some people deep.

Comment

• dmac_bolt
                    Day Tripper
                    • May 2019
                    • North of the Lagoon
                    • Send PM

Originally posted by powderblueboy View Post
                    i

They have defensive players that are a better match for Bradley's preferences than Staley's.

It tells me that Staley implemented a defense that didn't match the personnel very well.

He's not Belichick.
                    Bill Belichick was 6-10 his first year as HC
                    he was 6-10 his second year as well.
                    LAC was 7-9 with Gus as DC last year

Maybe you should give Staley a chance. I love the guy. It’s obvious watching players on the field that too many of them simply do not match up against their counterparts. They are getting beat 1x1 hat on hat, pad on pad all over the field, with the noted consistent exception of DJ and JB and even JB completely whiffed on the QB and contain and allowed a TD.

Not saying he’s been perfect or genius, we all probably forgot to allow for more growing pains due to his excellent start. But I am seeing roster issues that prevents top tier defense regardless of how clever he might be.
                    “Less is more? NO NO NO - MORE is MORE!”

Comment

• chargeroo
                      Fan since 1961
                      • Jan 2019
                      • Oregon
                      • Retired Manager/Pastor
                      • Send PM

Originally posted by sonorajim View Post

I was hoping Staley had a solid plan for a Dec- Jan drive to the playoffs. Losing 4 of the last 6 has shaken my confidence.
                      So, show me.
                      Go Bolts!
                      if he has a plan he better kick it in, time is running out. I'm skeptical now. Losing to Denver was a real downer for me.
                      THE YEAR OF THE FLIP!

Comment

• Xenos
                        Registered Charger Fan
                        • Feb 2019
                        • Send PM

Originally posted by powderblueboy View Post

And Davis and perhaps Bosa are not....Harris probably just hit the age wall.

But, i see your point.....the D was a problem last year and couldn't get off the field.
                        At least this year's D has made big plays in key 4rth Q situations.

As a whole, it is hard to discern improvement....and they have a healthy James/Bosa this year.
                        I don’t think Bosa is worse under Staley. It just shows you our weaknesses are the same and he’s taking on too much by himself still. Davis is a weird case. He’s always been inconsistent and that’s why he’s a CB2 only

Comment

• Bolt4Knob
                          Registered Charger Fan
                          • Dec 2019
                          • Send PM

Originally posted by dmac_bolt View Post
                          Bill Belichick was 6-10 his first year as HC
                          he was 6-10 his second year as well.
                          LAC was 7-9 with Gus as DC last year

Maybe you should give Staley a chance. I love the guy. It’s obvious watching players on the field that too many of them simply do not match up against their counterparts. They are getting beat 1x1 hat on hat, pad on pad all over the field, with the noted consistent exception of DJ and JB and even JB completely whiffed on the QB and contain and allowed a TD.

Not saying he’s been perfect or genius, we all probably forgot to allow for more growing pains due to his excellent start. But I am seeing roster issues that prevents top tier defense regardless of how clever he might be.
                          This is where I am at. I am not ready to give up on STaley - not even close.

Comment

Working...
                          X