Kenneth Murray Is Not Playing Much...WHY?

Collapse
X
Collapse
First Prev Next Last

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Silversurfer
    Registered Charger Fan
    • Apr 2019
    • Los Angeles
    • Send PM

Put him on S.T as a gunner. At this point I just want to see him make a tackle.

Comment

• Bolt4Knob
      Registered Charger Fan
      • Dec 2019
      • Send PM

Originally posted by Silversurfer View Post
      Put him on S.T as a gunner. At this point I just want to see him make a tackle.
      I actually thought of putting him at running back. 6'2 240
      He probably hasn't played since Pop Warner - but my guess, he played offense at some point of his life.
      Jeez - anything to use the skills that had Telesco (with Lynns input) trade up for him

Comment

• jubei
        Vagabond Ninja
        • Feb 2019
        • Send PM

what I've seen of KM is that he is fast but he tackles really high. If he tried to do that with someone like Derrick Henry he might end up on a highlight reel. Also, it looks like he is not reading the O well and so reacts to plays too late. I like the physical attributes of the kid and I hope he can piece it all together in the head. Tranq isnt nearly the physical specimen that KM is but Dru is much more cerebral. And Kyzir seems to be playing pretty darn well this year. With Nwosu coming on strong we have some pretty decent core of LBers...KM would be the cherry on top.

Comment

• powderblueboy
          Registered Charger Fan
          • Jul 2017
          • Send PM

Originally posted by chargeroo View Post

I was very high on Murray at OK, and I was pleased when we drafted him. Now I'm disappointed in him. I still think he has the tools to be very good but right now he doesn't seem to have the confidence. Here's hoping he comes around because the player he was at OK was a very good LB.
          Yes, he does look a bit dejected.

He is also sitting with the defensive end unit, which i think is significant.
          He hasn't been interacting with those guys up to now.

Lots of things to think about playing a new position.

Comment

• Xenos
            Registered Charger Fan
            • Feb 2019
            • Send PM

Here’s Popper’s answer regarding Murray’s role.

How will Kenneth Murray be used this week? We’ve seen his role change from LB to more of an edge rusher. Should Chargers fans be nervous about his future? — @BrandonWalkers3

The Chargers are very thin at edge rusher. Bosa is out. Kyler Fackrell is on IR after undergoing a minor knee procedure. And Rumph is on the COVID-19 list. They have only had three edge rushers at practice all week, and one of those was Murray. Uchenna Nwosu and practice-squader Emeke Egbule were the other two. Egbule should get elevated for Sunday.

Because of how thin the Chargers are, Murray is going to have to play significant snaps at edge rusher in Sunday’s game, especially if Rumph is not activated in time for the game. The Chargers have been trying to cross-train Murray at both linebacker and edge rusher this season, but Drue Tranquill and Kyzir Whiteare both active and playing well, so Murray’s talents will be needed on the edge against the Texans.

Murray has looked a little lost at edge rusher when he has been at that position in recent weeks. He was called for two neutral zone infractions in the Giants game in Week 14 because he lined up incorrectly. And his athletic traits have not yet translated to production. He is not big enough to win with power. He is not yet polished enough to use his speed to get to the quarterback. And he has been overmatched to a degree in run defense.

Murray has been dealing with ankle issues since training camp, and that stunted his development this season. He spent six weeks on IR. And learning a new position in the NFL is difficult, especially for a young player. I do not think anyone should be nervous just yet. Staley has proven capable of grooming and elevating defensive players. He did it with Adderley and Nwosu. The important thing will be finding a role that is tailored to Murray’s skill set. That is a work in progress — even more so now that Murray will be called upon to play primarily on the edge against the Texans.

We will see how he fares Sunday.

Comment

• richpjr
              Registered Charger Fan
              • Jun 2013
              • Nashville
              • Send PM

Not sure how great of an idea it is to try and force feed him into two roles when he clearly is utterly lost in one role.

Comment

• Steve
                Administrator
                • Jun 2013
                • South Carolina
                • Meteorologist
                • Send PM

To some degree you need to know what all the other front 7 players are doing. Vikings Zimmer tests all the players on d about the assignments of all the other players. Feels that it gives better awareness for their assignments if you know what the players around you are doing.

The big problem is how would he get the reps in practice to get good at them. OLB is the same techniques as a DE, and nothing like playing ILB. At least he will get some real practice time at OLB this week.

Comment

• Heatmiser
                  BetterToday ThanYesterday
                  • Jun 2013
                  • Send PM

Murray will get schooled this week, even playing against second string tackles. It will either be great for his growth or crush him if he is mentally weak. Hoping for the former. He has talent but not enough to overcome his play limitations and beat out the starters at ILB.

TG
                  Like, how am I a traitor? Your team are traitors.

Comment

• Silversurfer
                    Registered Charger Fan
                    • Apr 2019
                    • Los Angeles
                    • Send PM

What we all predicted, the Murray experiment should be over. Luckily hes on his rookie contract so keep him a depth body, no one will probably give a bag of Lays potato chips for him in a trade.

Comment

• richpjr
                      Registered Charger Fan
                      • Jun 2013
                      • Nashville
                      • Send PM

Originally posted by Heatmiser View Post
                      Murray will get schooled this week, even playing against second string tackles. It will either be great for his growth or crush him if he is mentally weak. Hoping for the former. He has talent but not enough to overcome his play limitations and beat out the starters at ILB.

TG
                      He failed miserably, unfortunately. Let's be real - he isn't close to being mentally ready to play in the NFL. I realize he is on his second defensive scheme in 2 years and some people pick things up slower than others but he has been the biggest disappointment on the roster, IMO.

Comment

• Caslon
                        Registered Charger Fan
                        • Apr 2019
                        • Send PM

He picked a QB jersey number as an OLB or was that forced on him? He’s one of those players who change after a big contract payday.

Comment

• gzubeck
                          Ines Sainz = Jet Bait!
                          • Jan 2019
                          • Tucson, AZ
                          • Send PM

Originally posted by Caslon View Post
                          He picked a QB jersey number as an OLB or was that forced on him? He’s one of those players who change after a big contract payday.
                          K-9. or Canine....

:beer:
                          Chiefs won the Superbowl with 10 Rookies....

"Locked, Cocked, and ready to Rock!" Jim Harbaugh

Comment

Working...
                          X