Kenneth Murray Is Not Playing Much...WHY?

Collapse
X
Collapse
First Prev Next Last

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Xenos
    Registered Charger Fan
    • Feb 2019
    • Send PM

White and Tranquil are the starting LBs. It doesn’t help that Murray is still nursing an ankle injury but he’s not beating those two out. Maybe use this time to use Murray in specific packages like edge rushing. More of the below please:

Comment

• ChargersPowderBlue
      Registered Charger Fan
      • Aug 2019
      • Send PM

Originally posted by Xenos View Post
      White and Tranquil are the starting LBs. It doesn’t help that Murray is still nursing an ankle injury but he’s not beating those two out. Maybe use this time to use Murray in specific packages like edge rushing. More of the below please:

White and Tranquil can cover. Murray's ability is getting after the ball carrier or the QB. Staley is still learning about how to best use his players. Many who are Lynn's players.

Minnesota lost to most of the other teams they played on the road. I am bugged that we lost that game.

Comment

• Xenos
        Registered Charger Fan
        • Feb 2019
        • Send PM

Originally posted by ChargersPowderBlue View Post

White and Tranquil can cover. Murray's ability is getting after the ball carrier or the QB. Staley is still learning about how to best use his players. Many who are Lynn's players.

Minnesota lost to most of the other teams they played on the road. I am bugged that we lost that game.
        So am I. But not as bugged as losing to a division opponent like Denver.

Comment

• Boltjolt
          Dont let the PBs fool ya
          • Jun 2013
          • Henderson, NV
          • Send PM

Originally posted by Riverwalk View Post
          Didn’t see Murray make one play. How about trying him out as RB? Apparently Denver’s beast of a RB Williams was a LB before giving RB a shot.

He couldn’t be any worse than the role he’s currently failing at.
          He only played LB a couple years in high School. Its too late for Murray to try RB. Williams was also his high schools Valendictorian.

The Denver Broncos traded up in the second round of the NFL draft last month to select North Carolina prospect Javonte Williams, who was widely considered one of the top running backs in this year’s class.

In high school, there was a time when Williams’ future at running back was in doubt.

“My freshman and sophomore year we had two running backs that went Division I,” Williams said on May 30. “My coach told me that if I wanted to play, I would have to play on defense. I started playing linebacker and I was pretty good. My junior year my coach kept me at linebacker. He said that he would rather have me at linebacker than at running back. When most colleges saw me at linebacker, they said that I was too short to play at the next level, so they passed on me.

“I got a new coach my senior year and when he came in, he asked why I didn’t have any offers. I said most schools passed on me because I was too short, so he switched me to running back. I started playing running back, but schools were still passing on me because it was too late in the process. I would have to come on as a walk on. My last game of my senior year in the state championship game, we played at UNC, and [former Tar Heels] coach [Larry] Fedora offered me after the game.”

And the rest is history.

Williams became a star at UNC, rushing for 1,140 yards and 19 touchdowns in a shared backfield last season. His linebacker mentality translated well to running back, which has been highlighted by his physical playing style.

“You can see the linebacker in his play,” general manager George Paton said on May 30. “He’s probably the most physical runner in the last couple of years. The thing that makes him unique is the contact balance. He is hard to tackle whether it’s in space, in-line or in-traffic.

“He has a unique ability to break tackles and he’s elusive in space. I think you do see the linebacker in him when he runs because he is so physical and breaks so many tackles.”

Williams can be very elusive as a runner, but he’s also capable of running over defenders if he can’t juke around them.

“I want to compete all the time,” he said. “It’s the linebacker in me, too. It’s mainly me wanting to compete and win my one-on-one battles. If I see someone in front of me, I want to go through them or make them miss in some sort of way.”

Williams will share touches with Melvin Gordon this year, but it wouldn’t be surprising to see him become the team’s workhorse back sooner than later.

Comment

• AK47
            Registered Charger Fan
            • May 2019
            • Send PM

Originally posted by ChargersPowderBlue View Post

Murray's true NFL position may very well be at Edge/OLB. Hey Staley sorta experimented with him there.

Nwosu is starting to emerge as that guy opposite of Bosa. Nwosu's sack per snap count ratio is actually reminiscent of a healthy Melvin Ingram during that 2017 season when we had the Bosa/Ingram combo wreaking havoc. But he's nowhere near as effective against the run as MI was. Perhaps that's where K9 could be more of a complete solution?

Back to K9. In hindsight his college MLB stats may been padded due to having superior physical tools to heat seek slower players allowing him to recover from mistakes in space at the college level. In contrast when we look at Kyzir White from his college prospect days he seems more in tune towards a modern NFL LB. Former safety, agile in space, strong hands to make plays on the ball, understands how to temper his straight line speed.

Comment

• gzubeck
              Ines Sainz = Jet Bait!
              • Jan 2019
              • Tucson, AZ
              • Send PM

Originally posted by AK47 View Post

Murray's true NFL position may very well be at Edge/OLB. Hey Staley sorta experimented with him there.

Nwosu is starting to emerge as that guy opposite of Bosa. Nwosu's sack per snap count ratio is actually reminiscent of a healthy Melvin Ingram during that 2017 season when we had the Bosa/Ingram combo wreaking havoc. But he's nowhere near as effective against the run as MI was. Perhaps that's where K9 could be more of a complete solution?

Back to K9. In hindsight his college MLB stats may been padded due to having superior physical tools to heat seek slower players allowing him to recover from mistakes in space at the college level. In contrast when we look at Kyzir White from his college prospect days he seems more in tune towards a modern NFL LB. Former safety, agile in space, strong hands to make plays on the ball, understands how to temper his straight line speed.
              Murrays upside is still better than Tillery's. Staley just needs some time to figure out how best to use him. We drafted him in the 20's anyway so it's not a huge drain on finances. He's got 4 years to figure it out or we move on.
              Chiefs won the Superbowl with 10 Rookies....

"Locked, Cocked, and ready to Rock!" Jim Harbaugh

Comment

• Steve
                Administrator
                • Jun 2013
                • South Carolina
                • Meteorologist
                • Send PM

Murray got some snaps and lined up offsides 2x today vs the Giants.

Tillery had some very good plays, but also got pushed along the width of the front on another (opening up a big lane for a Giants RB).

Comment

• jamrock
                  lawyers, guns and money
                  • Sep 2017
                  • Send PM

Originally posted by Steve View Post

Tillery had some very good plays, but also got pushed along the width of the front on another (opening up a big lane for a Giants RB).
                  He’s just too dumb I guess. I can’t think of anything else. He looks fine physically.

Comment

• Air Coryell
                    Registered Charger Fan
                    • Jan 2021
                    • Carlsbad, CA
                    • Teacher, Coach, CFO
                    • Send PM

He did not look good rushing the passer

Comment

• jaguarmanftype
                      Registered Charger Fan
                      • Nov 2020
                      • Send PM

Originally posted by PopWarner View Post
                      He had 15 snaps last week. Then 9 snaps this week. Any reason?
                      He's been busy hanging out with Trey Pipkins.

Comment

• jubei
                        Vagabond Ninja
                        • Feb 2019
                        • Send PM

Originally posted by Steve View Post
                        I'm starting to think he simply doesnt have it between the ears. we know his former coach loved to give men of color chances, hence why he'd give the QB job to Tayler instead of Herbert.

Comment

• powderblueboy
                          Registered Charger Fan
                          • Jul 2017
                          • Send PM

Originally posted by jubei View Post

I'm starting to think he simply doesnt have it between the ears. we know his former coach loved to give men of color chances, hence why he'd give the QB job to Tayler instead of Herbert.
                          Oh come on! This not the fucking 1930s.

Comment

Working...
                          X