• Show
Clear All
  • NoMoreChillies
    Outback Goon
    • Sep 2018
    • Australia
    • Send PM

Play Calling

So ok we all have some criticism about play calling. Some folks want more deep bombs. Others want better run game. Some want Lombardi fired, but i say just pump the brakes a bit. Here is some proof that Lombardi is calling deep routes and our guys are getting open, Herbert does not have enough time to find them.

Deep1:
    Guyton open deep in the middle. Roundtree fails to block the blitzing CB which spooks Herbert

Deep2:
    Guyton and Mdub both open. Herbert once again gets spooked by Norton + Slater losing their blocks

Deep3:
    Cook open middle. Guyton coming open late. Herbet once again has to avoid pass rush from his right.

Deep4:
    Guyton is easy TD. Norton received help from Kelley and blocks well enough. Kelemete whiffs and results in sack

Deep5:
    Mdub streaking away from his defender on corner route. Kelemete does not engage the LB allowing him to stunt around Slater for the sack

Formation playcalling
    This is a legit complaint for Lombardi. Chargers are backed up deep and have 3rd and 2. I am not against run plays from shotgun (not fav really but they work). Here is just the wrong formation for this position. Chargers have stacked shotgun which keeps DEN LB's inside. Norton fails to block OLB and goes way inside to block #47 leaving 2x LB's free to persue the ball. Our receivers in motion Palmer + Anderson look like they expected pass and did awful blocking leaving DEN #55 #56 #30 all free.

This is how it should be run. DEN has driven downfield in primarily heavy run formations with 1 play action pass. Once close enough they spread out Chargers def and then shotgun run in the open middle.
  • Critty
    Dominate the Day.
    • Mar 2019
    • Send PM

If they could find a way to execute just 1 more drive per game for a TD, they would be the #1 scoring offense.
    I think some better pass protection could help get that done.
    Who has it better than us?

Comment

• wu-dai clan
      Smooth Operation
      • May 2017
      • Send PM

NMC does outstanding work diving into film study.

Thank you Sir.
      We do not play modern football.

Comment

• Charge!
        Registered Charger Fan
        • Aug 2019
        • Send PM

Originally posted by NoMoreChillies View Post
        So ok we all have some criticism about play calling. Some folks want more deep bombs. Others want better run game. Some want Lombardi fired, but i say just pump the brakes a bit. Here is some proof that Lombardi is calling deep routes and our guys are getting open, Herbert does not have enough time to find them.

Deep1:
        Guyton open deep in the middle. Roundtree fails to block the blitzing CB which spooks Herbert

Deep2:
        Guyton and Mdub both open. Herbert once again gets spooked by Norton + Slater losing their blocks

Deep3:
        Cook open middle. Guyton coming open late. Herbet once again has to avoid pass rush from his right.

Deep4:
        Guyton is easy TD. Norton received help from Kelley and blocks well enough. Kelemete whiffs and results in sack

Deep5:
        Mdub streaking away from his defender on corner route. Kelemete does not engage the LB allowing him to stunt around Slater for the sack

Formation playcalling
        This is a legit complaint for Lombardi. Chargers are backed up deep and have 3rd and 2. I am not against run plays from shotgun (not fav really but they work). Here is just the wrong formation for this position. Chargers have stacked shotgun which keeps DEN LB's inside. Norton fails to block OLB and goes way inside to block #47 leaving 2x LB's free to persue the ball. Our receivers in motion Palmer + Anderson look like they expected pass and did awful blocking leaving DEN #55 #56 #30 all free.

This is how it should be run. DEN has driven downfield in primarily heavy run formations with 1 play action pass. Once close enough they spread out Chargers def and then shotgun run in the open middle.
        looks like our biggest issue on offense by far is protection..... makes sense.... herbert is running for his life most plays..... also the drops and penalties have killed many of our drives.....

Comment

• Topcat
          AKA "Pollcat"
          • Jan 2019
          • Send PM

Wow, good work Chili. Okay, so at least SOME of the time, we have men open deep, but the BLOCKING is the issue...I fault TT for this...going into the season with backups like Norton, Pip, (and later), Scho and Kelemete (because apparently Jaimes and Q-Berry aren't good enough)...awful planning...we need at least ONE solid backup at both T and IOL, preferably more...

Comment

• ghost
            The Rise of Kellen Moore
            • Jun 2013
            • Send PM

Fine work into this, Chili.

The Chargers offense ranks #2 in explosive plays and #4 in 3rd down efficiency.

But my issue is the defensive play-calling. Or it's lack of success on the field.

The Chargers rank 31st in 3rd down efficiency on defense. Is it: 1) the play read-and-recognition, 2) the inability to beat blocks, or 3) poor tackling, or is it the talent Telesco and John Spanos has been supplying to the club outside the first round, and we simply don't have the talent to run Staley's scheme?

Comment

• UtahBolt
              Did we win?
              • Jun 2013
              • I'll ride the wave...where it takes me.
              • Send PM

Love it NMC, great job again! Especially since you can see me in a couple of those vids! Row 12 behind the Chargers bench...
              I'll ride the wave...where it takes me.

Comment

• Craig440
                Registered Charger Fan
                • Apr 2019
                • Send PM

Love it. Thanks Chilli.

Comment

• Maniaque 6
                  French Speaking Charger Fan
                  • Jan 2019
                  • Québec city
                  • Send PM

A few times, 6 Chargers are unable to block 4 Broncos !!!!!!
                  Some others times, the players are clearly not on the same page.

Comment

• CivilBolt
                    Registered Charger Fan
                    • Nov 2019
                    • Send PM

Originally posted by Critty View Post
                    If they could find a way to execute just 1 more drive per game for a TD, they would be the #1 scoring offense.
                    Wow it looks like we were a couple of plays away from changing the outcome of that game. I agree with NMC on spreading out the D on the 3rd and 2. Give JH a run/pass option. Same on 4th down.

Comment

• wu-dai clan
                      Smooth Operation
                      • May 2017
                      • Send PM

Originally posted by Critty View Post
                      Herb's mobility (bootlegs).
                      MW.
                      Parham.
                      KA.
                      We ought to be great at RZ offense in particular.
                      We do not play modern football.

Comment

• Velo
                        Ride!
                        • Aug 2019
                        • Everywhere
                        • Leave the gun, take the cannolis
                        • Send PM

Originally posted by wu-dai clan View Post
                        NMC does outstanding work diving into film study.

Thank you Sir.
                        2nd.

Comment

Working...
                        X