• richpjr
    Registered Charger Fan
    • Jun 2013
    • Nashville
    • Send PM

Originally posted by NoMoreChillies View Post
    cant even succeed with video evidence.

its over boys
    We all have our own opinions about things, but when one’s sole objective is to stick to a point no matter what, there is no point in continuing the discussion.

Comment

• Xenos
      Registered Charger Fan
      • Feb 2019
      • Send PM

Originally posted by chaincrusher View Post

First, the most important thing that the plays demonstrate is that Guyton gets wide open on deep routes, which we already knew from last year.

After that, I would ask why we were able to make the deep throws last year and have not made them this year. What is the designed progression of reads for Herbert? I see Herbert look everywhere else on many plays before looking toward Guyton. I see questionable blocking schemes too.

I see many receivers on some deep routes, which makes sense if the first read is underneath, but makes less sense of there is a concern about having enough time to throw deep.

At the end of the day, we had a worse OL last year and completed long passes and we have a better OL this year and are not completing those passes. So there is no way I am buying that our OL is not talented enough to block for deep passes.

Also, there is no way that the same thing happening to Stafford in Detroit with short air yards passes is a coincidence. The sample size with Detroit and us is large enough for some conclusions to be drawn.

We can see the differences between what Payton called with Brees in his prime and what we have seen from Lombardi in terms of the lack of deep passes. We have heard Lombardi talking illogically about preferring lots of short passes to one long pass. I see a play calling bias on Lombardi's part.
      You’re wrong like always. Denial is not just a river.
      Youre Wrong John C Mcginley GIF

Comment

• Critty
        Dominate the Day.
        • Mar 2019
        • Send PM

"You can never spend enough time trying to access the deep part of the field," coach Brandon Staley said. The problem, Staley explained, is that defenses have made "a concerted effort" to keep Herbert from displaying his big arm. They continue to take away the deep ball, meaning the Chargers must execute over extended possessions
        "When you play against a quarterback that's as gifted as he is and you play against skill position groupings like ours," Staley said, "you're going to try to force him to drive the field."
        Staley said the Chargers have plenty of plays each week designed to stretch defenses.
        "If a team is going to say, 'Hey, you're not going here in the deep part of the field from an air-yard standpoint,' " Staley said, "what you've got to be able to do is create explosions from the run-and-catch game or from misdirection."

Why is Staley making all these excuses?
        It's a very simple solution, tell Herbert to ignore the coverages and progression and just chuck it as far as possible to Guyton or Williams. Problem solved.
        Who has it better than us?

Comment

• Boltjolt
          Dont let the PBs fool ya
          • Jun 2013
          • Henderson, NV
          • Send PM

crusher
          Originally posted by Critty View Post
          "You can never spend enough time trying to access the deep part of the field," coach Brandon Staley said. The problem, Staley explained, is that defenses have made "a concerted effort" to keep Herbert from displaying his big arm. They continue to take away the deep ball, meaning the Chargers must execute over extended possessions
          "When you play against a quarterback that's as gifted as he is and you play against skill position groupings like ours," Staley said, "you're going to try to force him to drive the field."
          Staley said the Chargers have plenty of plays each week designed to stretch defenses.
          "If a team is going to say, 'Hey, you're not going here in the deep part of the field from an air-yard standpoint,' " Staley said, "what you've got to be able to do is create explosions from the run-and-catch game or from misdirection."

It's a very simple solution, tell Herbert to ignore the coverages and progression and just chuck it as far as possible to Guyton or Williams. Problem solved.
          Football Guru Chaincrusher says Staley is wrong about this and Lombardi is the one holding us back.

Comment

• NoMoreChillies
            Outback Goon
            • Sep 2018
            • Australia
            • Send PM

Originally posted by richpjr View Post

We all have our own opinions about things, but when one’s sole objective is to stick to a point no matter what, there is no point in continuing the discussion.
            Not many people like being proven wrong, some of us see the bright side that we learn and improve our knowledge of NFL.

Comment

• NoMoreChillies
              Outback Goon
              • Sep 2018
              • Australia
              • Send PM

<3 the green text

Comment

Originally posted by Xenos View Post
                You’re wrong like always. Denial is not just a river.
                Youre Wrong John C Mcginley GIF
                So, let me get this straight. One minute before kickoff against CIN, I pointed out that the most important thing the videos of plays from the DEN game showed was that Guyton was getting wide open when he ran deep routes.

I have complained all year long that we have failed to use Guyton properly and that those plays were there to be made, but that we have failed to throw even one designed deep pass to Guyton all season long. The videos 1000% supported my position.

But even after the observations that I have insisted upon about our team's misuse of Guyton all season long and my clearly correct observation about the videos in the face of sheer nonsense that we were not throwing deep because we could not block it up (when we did block it up last year with the worst OL in the entire league), on the first designed deep throw to Guyton all season long, we hit the play for a TD on a play on which Guyton was, as I have repeatedly stated he regularly is on deep pass patterns, wide open.

I do not know how much more right I could possibly have been proven about everything I have said about Lombardi's play calling issues. Lombardi did exactly what I have begging him to do for weeks and the offense kicked ass because we had a couple of easier drives on which we did not have to execute 15 plays perfectly to score.

I mean, since I was proven exactly right in rather spectacular mic drop fashion, I have to ask you, what in the hell you were thinking when you posted the above quoted BS?

Comment

Critty, I would ask you and others that before accepting comments made to the media as gospel, do you ever try to evaluate why a person is saying what they are saying? Do you ever evaluate whether or not what the person is saying is correct?

In this case, entering Sunday, we were a bottom 5 team in air yards per pass. How does that fit with what Staley said? Unless you think we are holding the ball so we can throw late short, the answer is that it does not fit what Staley is saying. Whatever else our offense did for the first 11 games, what it has not been doing is spending a lot of time trying to access the deep part of the field. The comment is just objectively false.

And I would take that even one step further and say that defenses have not been playing the kind of deep cover shell type defenses that we have played to stop the long passing game. If anything, defenses have crept up on our receivers more in the short passing game as until Sunday, we had basically abandoned the long passing game. BAL, PIT, MIN, NE and even DEN all seemed to do this against us quite a bit.

The fact remains that teams knew last year that Herbert had a big arm and could throw deep and defended us accordingly. And yet, we still hit deep passes and did so with a much worse offensive line.

All of the deep passes should have been caught on Sunday. So, teams are trying to take it away, but as soon as we try it, it always works or should have worked but for failed execution by the WR/TE? That doesn't really make sense.

But what is Staley supposed to say? NFL pundits have been in the media for weeks begging Lombardi to let Herbert throw the ball down the field. We finally try it and it works like a charm even though the results should have been even better.

So now, that only reinforces the issues with Lombardi's play calling over the first 11 games, and, by extension, calls into question Staley's own coaching. So now, here come the excuses.

Also, if teams really have been taking away our deep passing game, why did we suddenly go to it on Sunday? Were we trying to design a bad game plan?

What I see is a rookie head coach that deferred to Lombardi for most of the season, but has seen diminishing returns as the season has progressed and as defenses have played us increasingly tighter in the short passing zones. So someone got in Lombardi's ear and told him to dial up some deep passes. So, who was that someone? The answer, of course, is Staley, but he cannot address it like that because that clearly raises the question of why the team has not been using long passes all season long. So, rather than throw himself and Lombardi under the bus in the face of a multitude of pundits who have been begging Lombardi to let Herbert throw the ball down the field, he comes up with a false excuse to try to justify the unjustifiable.

The mistake that some of you make is that you simply blindly accept what the head coach has to say without considering whether or not what is said makes any sense at all.

Comment

• Xenos
                    Registered Charger Fan
                    • Feb 2019
                    • Send PM

I can’t believe I have to keep posting the same things over and over again because chaincrusher can’t seem to understand certain things. Let’s start with the most obvious one. Sidenote: he probably is Daniel E.

Comment

• Xenos
                      Registered Charger Fan
                      • Feb 2019
                      • Send PM

So, let me get this straight. One minute before kickoff against CIN, I pointed out that the most important thing the videos of plays from the DEN game showed was that Guyton was getting wide open when he ran deep routes.

I have complained all year long that we have failed to use Guyton properly and that those plays were there to be made, but that we have failed to throw even one designed deep pass to Guyton all season long. The videos 1000% supported my position.

But even after the observations that I have insisted upon about our team's misuse of Guyton all season long and my clearly correct observation about the videos in the face of sheer nonsense that we were not throwing deep because we could not block it up (when we did block it up last year with the worst OL in the entire league), on the first designed deep throw to Guyton all season long, we hit the play for a TD on a play on which Guyton was, as I have repeatedly stated he regularly is on deep pass patterns, wide open.

I do not know how much more right I could possibly have been proven about everything I have said about Lombardi's play calling issues. Lombardi did exactly what I have begging him to do for weeks and the offense kicked ass because we had a couple of easier drives on which we did not have to execute 15 plays perfectly to score.

I mean, since I was proven exactly right in rather spectacular mic drop fashion, I have to ask you, what in the hell you were thinking when you posted the above quoted BS?
                      I quoted your BS. Isn’t that obvious? But yes, I also regret having to quote that much diarrhea from you.

Comment

• Xenos
                        Registered Charger Fan
                        • Feb 2019
                        • Send PM

Context matters sometimes. We were able to protect Herbert in the first half and the Bengals stupidly dared us to beat them deep by crowding the box. Lombardi and Herbert obliged. Bengals eventually adjusted after the half to protect the deep parts, Herbert took more hits and sacks, so we adjusted as well and went back to the shorter passing game.

Comment

• Critty
                          Dominate the Day.
                          • Mar 2019
                          • Send PM

Critty, I would ask you and others that before accepting comments made to the media as gospel, do you ever try to evaluate why a person is saying what they are saying? Do you ever evaluate whether or not what the person is saying is correct?

In this case, entering Sunday, we were a bottom 5 team in air yards per pass. How does that fit with what Staley said? Unless you think we are holding the ball so we can throw late short, the answer is that it does not fit what Staley is saying. Whatever else our offense did for the first 11 games, what it has not been doing is spending a lot of time trying to access the deep part of the field. The comment is just objectively false.

And I would take that even one step further and say that defenses have not been playing the kind of deep cover shell type defenses that we have played to stop the long passing game. If anything, defenses have crept up on our receivers more in the short passing game as until Sunday, we had basically abandoned the long passing game. BAL, PIT, MIN, NE and even DEN all seemed to do this against us quite a bit.

The fact remains that teams knew last year that Herbert had a big arm and could throw deep and defended us accordingly. And yet, we still hit deep passes and did so with a much worse offensive line.

All of the deep passes should have been caught on Sunday. So, teams are trying to take it away, but as soon as we try it, it always works or should have worked but for failed execution by the WR/TE? That doesn't really make sense.

But what is Staley supposed to say? NFL pundits have been in the media for weeks begging Lombardi to let Herbert throw the ball down the field. We finally try it and it works like a charm even though the results should have been even better.

So now, that only reinforces the issues with Lombardi's play calling over the first 11 games, and, by extension, calls into question Staley's own coaching. So now, here come the excuses.

Also, if teams really have been taking away our deep passing game, why did we suddenly go to it on Sunday? Were we trying to design a bad game plan?

What I see is a rookie head coach that deferred to Lombardi for most of the season, but has seen diminishing returns as the season has progressed and as defenses have played us increasingly tighter in the short passing zones. So someone got in Lombardi's ear and told him to dial up some deep passes. So, who was that someone? The answer, of course, is Staley, but he cannot address it like that because that clearly raises the question of why the team has not been using long passes all season long. So, rather than throw himself and Lombardi under the bus in the face of a multitude of pundits who have been begging Lombardi to let Herbert throw the ball down the field, he comes up with a false excuse to try to justify the unjustifiable.

The mistake that some of you make is that you simply blindly accept what the head coach has to say without considering whether or not what is said makes any sense at all.
                          The game film each game shows plenty of deep routes built in and depending on protection, progression, coverages, and reads Justin will do his best to execute the play, including deep shot when they are open and he has time to throw it.

Why are you asking questions that have ample evidence to figure it out for yourself with videos of all 22?

How did the Bengals play it, how did the Steelers play it........Hint: Not the same way.

Tip: Pre snap box and coverages don't matter. Post snap actual box and coverages do.

Both on tape and comments by players and coaches after game, the Bengals didn't drop into a 2 deep shell into 2nd half.

Recommendation: Find better answers to your own questions and concerns before posting opinion out of your back side.

P.S. You could have just called Staley a liar instead of your long-winded lawyer BS.
                          :hello:
                          Who has it better than us?

Comment

Working...
                          X