• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Panamamike
    Registered Charger Fan
    • Jun 2013
    • Send PM

Very thin at OLB

Regardless of anyone's take on Tourek, he is out likely a minimum of 6 weeks. That leaves us awfully thin at OLB for the first month and there is no telling how long he lasts injury wise the rest of the season. Bad time to get injured as when he gets back he won't be in "football shape". A lot of guys that miss training camp will have groin, hammy, etc injuries nag them all year.

I wonder if TT has had any conversations with Freeney? We could do worse for depth IMO, as he is familiar with the D and was able to get pressure (though didn't finish). I am very high on Emanuel, but we need more than that to be able to rotate in, and I don't even know if he can handle that yet. Would Freeney on a one year incentive laced contract be a worthwhile pickup? The OLB market is very thin right now and I am not sure it gets that much better after cuts.
  • Formula 21
    The Future is Now
    • Jun 2013
    • Republic of San Diego
    • Send PM

Originally posted by Panamamike View Post
    Regardless of anyone's take on Tourek, he is out likely a minimum of 6 weeks. That leaves us awfully thin at OLB for the first month and there is no telling how long he lasts injury wise the rest of the season. Bad time to get injured as when he gets back he won't be in "football shape". A lot of guys that miss training camp will have groin, hammy, etc injuries nag them all year.

I wonder if TT has had any conversations with Freeney? We could do worse for depth IMO, as he is familiar with the D and was able to get pressure (though didn't finish). I am very high on Emanuel, but we need more than that to be able to rotate in, and I don't even know if he can handle that yet. Would Freeney on a one year incentive laced contract be a worthwhile pickup? The OLB market is very thin right now and I am not sure it gets that much better after cuts.
    I'm waiting to see if one of the UDFA OLBs makes a statement during the exhibition games. I think that's the best shot we have at a UDFA making the squad this year.
    Now, if you excuse me, I have some Charger memories to suppress.
    The Wasted Decade is done.
    Build Back Better.

Comment

• Panamamike
      Registered Charger Fan
      • Jun 2013
      • Send PM

Originally posted by Formula Two One View Post
      I'm waiting to see if one of the UDFA OLBs makes a statement during the exhibition games. I think that's the best shot we have at a UDFA making the squad this year.
      I hear ya. I pull for the UDFA that shows some skills, but most of. the time they can be stashed on the practice squad. I would have big concerns if our top two reserve OLB were a late pick, from a small school that is changing positions (I believe he has a bright future with us) and an UDFA. I think we need more than that the first few weeks and possibly longer.

Comment

• TTK
        EX-Charger Fan
        • Jun 2013
        • America's Finest City
        • Send PM

Originally posted by Panamamike View Post

TT might be waiting until after week one to pick up Freeney. Then the contract would not be guaranteed.

Comment

• Panamamike
          Registered Charger Fan
          • Jun 2013
          • Send PM

Originally posted by TTK View Post
          TT might be waiting until after week one to pick up Freeney. Then the contract would not be guaranteed.
          Aaahhhhhh....forgot about that. Be it Freeney or another vet, I hope they add to that position.

Comment

• blueman
            Registered Charger Fan
            • Jun 2013
            • Send PM

I was thinking it pretty much assures Law makes the 53, so he and Emanuel are the backups. Maybe Underwood can switch-hit, backup both ILB and OLB? He'll likely be a STer if he makes the 53 anyway.

Comment

• bonehead
              Undrafted
              • Jul 2013
              • TBD
              • Retired
              • Send PM

Originally posted by blueman View Post
              I was thinking it pretty much assures Law makes the 53, so he and Emanuel are the backups. Maybe Underwood can switch-hit, backup both ILB and OLB? He'll likely be a STer if he makes the 53 anyway.
              Agreed, and being "thin" at outside linebacker is the norm
              Forget it Donny you're out of your element

Shut the fuck up Donny

Comment

• Stinky Wizzleteats+
                Grammar Police
                • Jun 2013
                • Send PM

Perryman can also see spot reps at OLB, I think I read he was being coached to.
                Go Rivers!

Comment

• Steve
                  Administrator
                  • Jun 2013
                  • South Carolina
                  • Meteorologist
                  • Send PM

If they do go with Freeney, it won't be until week 2. You don't want the fully guaranteed salary on the books, especially if he is likely to be cut at some point.

Comment

• Panamamike
                    Registered Charger Fan
                    • Jun 2013
                    • Send PM

Originally posted by Stinky Wizzleteats+ View Post
                    Perryman can also see spot reps at OLB, I think I read he was being coached to.
                    Hmmmmm......I have never read that myself. I also don't think he played any in college, and he is very small to play OLB.

Comment

• zoom
                      Registered Charger Fan
                      • Jun 2013
                      • Send PM

If Mueller can show well on ST's through camp, he could provide depth until Williams is back.

Comment

• Steve
                        Administrator
                        • Jun 2013
                        • South Carolina
                        • Meteorologist
                        • Send PM

I think Perryman played some OLB in the Miami 43. Which doesn't mean he can do anything in our D. They are completely different positions.

34 OLB is more like a DL then it is being an ILB in a 34, or any of the 43 OLB.

Even if he could play, they aren't going to make a move like that this time of year. We have camp bodies who know the assignments and have a slim shot at making it.

Perryman's future as as an ILB. No sense taking development time away from guys who desperately need it and giving it to a guy who would only play there in an emergency.

It's not like this is anything new. Our OLB sitaution has been dreadful for several years. And since OLB is the key to the 34 D, we need several guys to step up. It would dramatically improve the entire defenses performance.

Until we get 2 starters who are 10-15 sack a year guys, plus 1 or 2 backups who can put pressure on the QB, when the starters are either hurt or out of the game, then we will be looking. And like that sounds, even SB champions can't always find that, so pretty much everyone is looking all the time. We need to keep adding a new edge rusher every year, no matter what. Even if it takes a couple of years to develop, edge rushers cost $10 mill plus per year (so upwards of $20 mill per year for 2), and you can't play good defense without them.
                        Last edited by Steve; 08-22-2015, 09:04 AM.

Comment

Working...
                        X