• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • CTrout
    Registered Charger Fan
    • Jun 2013
    • Send PM

Originally posted by zoom View Post
    If Mueller can show well on ST's through camp, he could provide depth until Williams is back.
    I recall Mueller getting some positive reviews from camp. Long shot but who knows....

Comment

• Steve
      Administrator
      • Jun 2013
      • South Carolina
      • Meteorologist
      • Send PM

Mueller needs to show more in game time.

We have often carried 10 LB (total), and he could be one. There is no reason we can't stockpile OLB types since they can play ST just like ILB types. But he has to show something in the games, coaches don't just hand out roster spots by position, even at a position of need. I thought Mueller played a lot better then Underwood did. Underwood got more mention in UT/ESPN because he did something at practice, but Mueller showed by movement against Dallas.

Comment

• KNSD
        Registered Charger Hater
        • Jun 2013
        • Send PM

How deep do you have to be at any position in this league? Positions are going to be thin in this era of specialization. Pagano will have to adjust scheme of defense if more go down.
        Prediction:
        Correct: Chargers CI fails miserably.
        Fail: Team stays in San Diego until their lease runs out in 2020. (without getting new deal done by then) .
        Sig Bet WIN: The Chargers will file for relocation on January 15.

Comment

• Steve
          Administrator
          • Jun 2013
          • South Carolina
          • Meteorologist
          • Send PM

In a passing league? As deep as you can get. But if you only have 2 good starters, what are your chances of mounting a good pass rush at the end of the game, after they have been playing the run and rushing the QB for 60-70 plays? Sure, the OL is tired too, but the OLB are the guys who have to get past the OL.

You may never get all the depth you want, but it doesn't mean you ever stop trying to get as many guys as you can.

One thing is for sure, teams with only 1 good outside pass rusher can't consistently get after the QB.

Comment

• Mister Hoarse
            No Sir, I Dont Like It
            • Jun 2013
            • Section 457
            • Migrant Film Worker
            • Send PM

Multiple pass rushers got Eli Shithead 2 rings.
            Dean Spanos Should Get Ass Cancer Of The Ass!
            sigpic

Comment

• Steve
              Administrator
              • Jun 2013
              • South Carolina
              • Meteorologist
              • Send PM

I don't care what else you do on D, but rushing the passer has to be priority #1. A couple of years ago (2013) Carolina was ranked 6th pass defenses in the league, and I can't recall a single guy on their secondary. 60 sacks has a way of overcoming that sort of thing. It has been a long time since we had a 50-60 sack a year pass rush.

Comment

• Boltjolt
                Dont let the PBs fool ya
                • Jun 2013
                • Henderson, NV
                • Send PM

Originally posted by Steve View Post
                I don't care what else you do on D, but rushing the passer has to be priority #1. A couple of years ago (2013) Carolina was ranked 6th pass defenses in the league, and I can't recall a single guy on their secondary. 60 sacks has a way of overcoming that sort of thing. It has been a long time since we had a 50-60 sack a year pass rush.
                One was Drayton Florence, lol. Another was Captain Mannequin or something. The rest....who knows.

Comment

• KNSD
                  Registered Charger Hater
                  • Jun 2013
                  • Send PM

Then the team needs to quit wasting slots on DL, ILB, CBS and Safeties. More OLBs!
                  Prediction:
                  Fail: Team stays in San Diego until their lease runs out in 2020. (without getting new deal done by then) .

Comment

• Steve
                    Administrator
                    • Jun 2013
                    • South Carolina
                    • Meteorologist
                    • Send PM

You need more players in positions that play more. Is there a need to keep 7 or 8 DL in a 34 D, when most of the time we will only have 2 DL on the field? How about ILB? You may play 2 of them at a time, but many teams sub in extra DB, 1 or more ILB or DL have to come up to go to the dime or quarters coverage.

The real issue is how many of our OLB deserve to be on an NFL roster. Ideally, I would like to keep 6, with probably 5 of those 6 active on most game days.

My list of the depth chart is:
                    Ingram
                    Attaochu
                    Emmanuel
                    Law
                    Williams

On the bubble are Mueller and Underwood. One of them would have to really show something in order to prove they can stay, although that something could be ST. Many years we keep a 5th ILB to just play ST, but there is no reason an OLB couldn't be that ST guy if he has some upside as a rusher.

Comment

• KNSD
                      Registered Charger Hater
                      • Jun 2013
                      • Send PM

Fair enough. Roster can handle 5 OLB. 6 OLB really eats into depth other positions.
                      Prediction:

Comment

• bonehead
                        Undrafted
                        • Jul 2013
                        • TBD
                        • Retired
                        • Send PM

You need more players in positions that play more. Is there a need to keep 7 or 8 DL in a 34 D, when most of the time we will only have 2 DL on the field? How about ILB? You may play 2 of them at a time, but many teams sub in extra DB, 1 or more ILB or DL have to come up to go to the dime or quarters coverage.

The real issue is how many of our OLB deserve to be on an NFL roster. Ideally, I would like to keep 6, with probably 5 of those 6 active on most game days.

Ingram
                        Attaochu
                        Emmanuel
                        Law
                        Williams

On the bubble are Mueller and Underwood. One of them would have to really show something in order to prove they can stay, although that something could be ST. Many years we keep a 5th ILB to just play ST, but there is no reason an OLB couldn't be that ST guy if he has some upside as a rusher.
                        U mean Tourek Williams?
                        Forget it Donny you're out of your element

Shut the fuck up Donny

Comment

• bonehead
                          Undrafted
                          • Jul 2013
                          • TBD
                          • Retired
                          • Send PM

Ingram
                          Attaochu
                          Emmanuel
                          Law
                          Williams

U mean Tourek Williams?
                          Forget it Donny you're out of your element

Shut the fuck up Donny

Comment

Working...
                          X