• Show
Clear All
  • Steve
    Administrator
    • Jun 2013
    • South Carolina
    • Meteorologist
    • Send PM

I can see us only carrying 5 WR this season as a possibility.

1). There are guys like Herdon and Williams every year. The big knock on letting them go, is they would benefit greatly from the extra practice time. But as far as getting someone with their talent level, there are UDFA types like both of them every season.

2). I see us making a real push in the running game, which means more 2 TE situations. That depends a lot on the OL, but 2 TE spreads a team out while improving the blocking, where running out of 3 WR formations just spreads teams out.

3). If the situation at WR is a little on the desperate time to develop some young blood, then it is really desperate at TE. Gates is really starting to show his age, and while still effective is not going to be around much longer. Phillips has shown some new life, but he was only a guy. David Johnson is just a blocker, although a good one who can play FB too. Green......... We really could use Miller to stick, since he showed as much as a pass catcher as Phillips did, and was about as good a blocker (not as good run fits, but gets some movement, plus can play FB). And since the talent drain on the TE position is at epidemic levels, cutting any decent TE prospect means we lose them for good.

4). In situations where we want to go with an extra WR, if we need too, we can use Green, Gates and Woodhead as extra WR types. Line them in the slot, or even outside, they can cause some matchup problems. Not ideal, because defenses may not matchup quite the same way if we have a traditional TE or RB in the formation, as well as these guys split out, but it gives us options, and it spreads the defense out.

I hadn't posted this earlier because I thought both Herdon and Williams had a real shot, but at least in the 1st half of last night's game, they both looked awful. Maybe Pettis sticks, but I have to think it is not a done deal.

Comment

• Antonio's Gates
      Registered Charger Fan
      • Jun 2013
      • Send PM

Pettis has shown nothing. No separation on any of his routes where the DB had man coverage. He's behind Williams IMO, especially when you factor in special teams.

Comment

fender57
        • Jun 2013
        • Send PM

Originally posted by Antonio's Gates View Post
        I just know McCoy and crew will cut Williams and keep some safe average limited upside player like Herndon or pettis. It's so predictable. Let's just hope Williams makes it through waivers.
        It seems to be the Charger way.

Comment

• Maverick
          (Coryellian)
          • Jun 2013
          • Point Loma
          • Send PM

Originally posted by Maverick View Post
          I know...he looks absolutely dreadful.
          I went to bed before TW's big catch. Glad he redeemed himself. Hope it's enough for him to make the roster.

Comment

• bonehead
            Undrafted
            • Jul 2013
            • TBD
            • Retired
            • Send PM

Originally posted by Antonio's Gates View Post
            I just know McCoy and crew will cut Williams and keep some safe average limited upside player like Herndon or pettis. It's so predictable. Let's just hope Williams makes it through waivers.
            I know Williams had those drops but besides the TD I thought he made a monster play at gunner on punt coverage
            Forget it Donny you're out of your element

Shut the fuck up Donny

Comment

• Maverick
              (Coryellian)
              • Jun 2013
              • Point Loma
              • Send PM

Originally posted by bonehead View Post
              I know Williams had those drops but besides the TD I thought he made a monster play at gunner on punt coverage
              Yeah, he seemed really nails on STs....he's definitely hustling.

Comment

• OhioBolt
                Registered Charger Fan
                • Jun 2013
                • Send PM

Cut 5'8 Wes Welker end up being a mistake cutting 6'4 Tyrell William would be a big mistake.

Comment

• Geezbolt
                  Registered Charger Fan
                  • Jun 2013
                  • Sun Valley, ID
                  • Send PM

For those who fell asleep like me, here's TW's catch and run: http://www.chargers.com/video/2015/0...ams-63-yard-td
                  I agree TW looks good as a gunner and hopefully that will be enough for him to escape the final cut. I had high hopes for Pettis but I see no way he makes the team.
                  Last edited by Geezbolt; 09-04-2015, 07:29 AM.

Comment

• Formula 21
                    The Future is Now
                    • Jun 2013
                    • Republic of San Diego
                    • Send PM

I don't know how either of the backup QBs make the team either. Can we go with just one qb?
                    Now, if you excuse me, I have some Charger memories to suppress.
                    The Wasted Decade is done.
                    Build Back Better.

Comment

• KNSD
                      Registered Charger Hater
                      • Jun 2013
                      • Send PM

Originally posted by Formula Two One View Post
                      I don't know how either of the backup QBs make the team either. Can we go with just one qb?
                      Weddle can pass the ball, can't he?
                      Prediction:
                      Correct: Chargers CI fails miserably.
                      Fail: Team stays in San Diego until their lease runs out in 2020. (without getting new deal done by then) .
                      Sig Bet WIN: The Chargers will file for relocation on January 15.

Comment

• TTK
                        EX-Charger Fan
                        • Jun 2013
                        • America's Finest City
                        • Send PM

Originally posted by KNSD View Post
                        Weddle can pass the ball, can't he?
                        His agent won't be happy with that...

Comment

fender57
                          • Jun 2013
                          • Send PM

Originally posted by Formula Two One View Post
                          Pickup the loser of the Tebow/Barkley derby.

Comment

Working...
                          X