• Stinky Wizzleteats+
    Grammar Police
    • Jun 2013
    • Send PM

Duh-zub-nar!

Chargers Rookie Takes Hockey History To The Gridiron
    By Derek Togerson
    Getty Images
    GLENDALE, AZ - AUGUST 22: Drew Stanton #5 of the Arizona Cardinals is sacked by Nick Dzubnar #48 of the San Diego Chargers during the second quarter at University of Phoenix Stadium on August 22, 2015 in Glendale, Arizona. (Photo by Norm Hall/Getty Images)
    When a guy wearing number 48 for the Chargers broke up the middle to sack Cardinals quarterback Drew Stanton in the 2nd quarter of Saturday's preseason game in Arizona a whole bunch of people thought the same thing:
    Great play! Who the heck is that guy?
    New Raiders Stadium in Oakland Feasible: Developer
    That guy is Nick Dzubnar and he might be around for a while so learn how to pronounce his name (it's Duh-Zub-Nar, by the way). Nick is an undrafted rookie from Cal Poly-San Louis Obispo and the Mustangs all-time leading tackler.
    He came to San Diego with the goal of working his way on to either the 53-man roster or the 10-man practice squad. He plans to do that with one simple approach.
    Sweetwater Valley Advances to Semifinals
    "Getting to every ball," said Dzubnar. "I want to make every play. I want to make every tackle. I want to outwork everyone. I want to out-hustle everyone. That's obviously what led to my career in college success and hopefully it can bring me success here in the NFL."
    That attitude is a good way to make yourself a fan favorite fast and it's something he's had more or less his entire life.
    Ex-Soccer Player Lambo Hopes to Make Chargers as Kicker
    "It started early when I was playing ice hockey. My dad raised me to be a hard worker."
    Wait. Did he say ice hockey?
    VIDEOMeds, Alcohol Led to 'Inappropriate' Behavior: USC Coach
    "It's related to hockey but I was able to transfer it over to football."
    Dzubnar grew up in Mission Viejo, CA, as a defenseman that not only enjoyed the physical nature of the sport, but seemed to take the dump-and-chase as a personal insult. You can listen to him explain his playing style on the ice below:

0:00
    /
    0:50
    Nick Dzubnar Takes Hockey Mentality To Football
    While Dzubnar still thinks he was better at hockey than he is at football it's looking like his sports calling is less Ray Bourque and more Ray Lewis. That doesn't mean he doesn't long to get his blades on the ice again, though.
    "I still miss it every single day,"Dzubnar says. "I really do love that sport. But, obviously, this is working out for me right now."
    Plus, now that the Gulls are back in San Diego, Nick won't have to go far if he wants to get his hockey fix.
    "Maybe if this career ends I may jump on over there and see if I can get some ice time."
    One sport at a time, big guy. Just give this pro football thing a real shot first.
    Go Rivers!
  • Formula 21
    The Future is Now
    • Jun 2013
    • Republic of San Diego
    • Send PM

He's got a shot. He made a lot of tackles in the 1st two games plus a sack. It's just a long way up from Cal Poly SLO to here.
    Now, if you excuse me, I have some Charger memories to suppress.
    The Wasted Decade is done.
    Build Back Better.

Comment

• Stinky Wizzleteats+
      Grammar Police
      • Jun 2013
      • Send PM

Duh...

Speaking of, I hope he never becomes one.
      Go Rivers!

Comment

• Steve
        Administrator
        • Jun 2013
        • South Carolina
        • Meteorologist
        • Send PM

I would rather keep an extra OLB, but right now, the other OLB aren't showing much, and Dzubnar is showing that he belongs. He does need to do a better job of stepping up and taking on blocks in the hole. He allowed a 1st down on 3rd and short by sitting back and waiting for the blocker to come to him. He made the tackle, but if he had attacked the block, the back would have been stuck behind the line with no place to go. But that is not an uncommon flaw for rookie LB to have.

Comment

• Hard Charger
          Chargers fan since 1977!
          • Jun 2013
          • Send PM

I'd love to see this kid make the team! Has he had any shots on ST plays? I wonder what damage he could do as a Fullback, maybe even backup our Long Snapper. Whatever it takes, I would like to see us hang on to him.

HC

Comment

• Formula 21
            The Future is Now
            • Jun 2013
            • Republic of San Diego
            • Send PM

Chargers find diamond in the rough in linebacker Nick Dzubnar
            2h

Chargers rookie linebacker Nick Dzubnar celebrates his sack Saturday against the Cardinals. AP Photo/Ross D. Franklin
            Eric D. Williams

SAN DIEGO -- One player consistently emerging from the pile after a tackle in the San Diego Chargers' win against the Arizona Cardinals last week was inside linebacker Nick Dzubnar.

The undrafted rookie free agent out of Cal Poly finished with five tackles and a sack against the Cardinals, standing out as one of the training camp surprises at Chargers Park.

"Nick is a young guy out there just running around trying to hit somebody," fellow linebacker Donald Butler said. "And looking at the young guys, that’s what you want to see -- a high-energy, high-effort guy.”

At 6-foot-1 and 240 pounds, Dzubnar is a Southern California native who played at Mission Viejo High. Dzubnar grew up wrestling and playing ice hockey, which explains his tough, relentless nature. He set a school record with 167 tackles his senior season last year.

The Chargers were one of five teams that attended Dzubnar’s pro day leading up to the draft. He tested better than expected, running a 4.67-second, 40-yard time and showing good lateral quickness, confirming his production on tape.

Dzubnar is old school -- he doesn’t wear gloves or elbow pads on game days. He said that even though he played at a smaller school in college, his approach remains the same. He’s picked up San Diego’s defensive scheme quickly, which has helped him play fast in practice and games.

"A lot of it is attitude, effort and hustle really," Dzubnar said about his play. "And a lot of it has to do with the way you play, your instincts and the stuff you rely on to make plays out there. Obviously that stuff carries over -- you’re just going up against bigger and faster guys.

"The attitude is still the same. The hustle still is the same. And I think if you continue to do that, you’ll be successful no matter what. So that’s what I try to do every game."

Dzubnar said at Cal Poly he played middle linebacker in a 4-3 defense, with a little 3-4 package mixed in, but nothing like the 3-4 defense preferred by Chargers defensive coordinator John Pagano.

"He’s a very competitive person, and that helps him a lot," Chargers linebackers coach Mike Nolan said. "That really is a trait that helps a lot of the good players in the NFL make it, and become even better. As much as you would like to think that all professional athletes are competitive, everybody has a different degree of how competitive they are.

"He’s an intelligent guy, he’s got instincts and he’s competitive. And those three things, along with the fact that he’s got decent ability, has made him shine a little bit as far as practice goes, and even in the game."

Tight end Antonio Gates compared Dzubnar to someone he watched as kid growing up in Motor City -- former Detroit Lions middle linebacker Chris Spielman.

"He’s back in the backfield making tackles," Gates said. "He’s just gritty and dirty -- what you think of in a middle linebacker. He has that. I love him."

With starting middle linebacker Manti Te'o nursing a shoulder injury, fellow rookie Denzel Perryman and Dzubnar should see more time on the field when the Chargers host the Seattle Seahawks on Saturday.

"I’m going to try and outwork everyone, no matter what happens," Dzubnar said. "I want to get to every single ball, and that’s how I’m going to play every single down."
            Build Back Better.

Comment

• UtahBolt
              Did we win?
              • Jun 2013
              • I'll ride the wave...where it takes me.
              • Send PM

I had honestly not even heard of him until the Arizona game (must have missed him in the Dallas game) and at first we were like who the heck is this guy? He looks like a little leaguer or high school kid out there with no arm pads or gloves, he is not especially well-built, not really fast, etc. But after a few plays it became apparent pretty quick that he is all over the field, the kid has a nose for the ball and may be worth something to this team. Not sure he can be an every down player as he seems pretty limited physically, but I bet he would be pretty good running down the field on special teams and then some spot duty at ILB just mix the front seven up a bit. Trouble is can we keep 5 ILB? If not, do you keep him over Connor (who IMO is pretty good backup ILB)? Not sure they can find him a spot.
              I'll ride the wave...where it takes me.

Comment

• Highboltage
                Registered Charger Fan
                • Jun 2013
                • Send PM

Could he be another Gachkar?

Comment

• Bolt-O
                  Administrator
                  • Jun 2013
                  • Send PM

Originally posted by Highboltage View Post
                  Could he be another Gachkar?
                  Gachkar was drafted. I'm thinking more like another Bront Bird.

Comment

• Formula 21
                    The Future is Now
                    • Jun 2013
                    • Republic of San Diego
                    • Send PM

Chargers rookie excites team's veterans
                    Mugshot of Tom Krasovic
                    By Tom Krasovic | 6:44 p.m. Aug. 26, 2015

Nick Dzubnar is an undrafted rookie who seeks a job with the Chargers.

He's made a big impression on Antonio Gates, himself undrafted 12 years ago.

Gates told Dzubnar he plays like Chris Spielman.

Spielman was an Ohio State All-American who read NFL offenses fast and made four Pro Bowls with the Lions.

Gates said it's a treat to watch Dzubnar, No. 48.

“He’s back in the backfield making tackles," said the eight-time Pro Bowler. "He’s just gritty and dirty – what you think of in a middle linebacker. He has that. I love him.”

Lessons learned

Dzubnar arrived in May from Cal Poly San Luis Obispo, which had one alum on an NFL roster last year.

He was the school's middle linebacker in a 4-3 defense and relayed the coach's calls to teammates.

Trying out for the Chargers meant learning to be one of two inside linebackers. Following some sticky moments, he began to flow to the ball as he did in college, he said.

After he moved up to the second team last week, Dzubnar gave a strong showing in Saturday's exhibition at Arizona, notching a sack, two quarterback hurries and five assisted tackles over 33 snaps.

He's expected to stay with the second team this week, going toward Saturday's exhibition against Seattle.

His new role is now old hat. "You're just able to play ball now," he said.

No frills

In style, Dzubnar is the rare linebacker who wears no gloves or elbow pads. He bunches up his long-sleeve undershirt.

"I'm going to be the true, old school linebacker -- a 'plug-up-all-the-holes, run guy,' " he said with a laugh.

Actually, he wore gloves in college. Weeks ago, after giving gloves to a Chargers fan, he decided to go bare.

"I ended up liking it a lot," he said. "Now everyone gives me (grief) for not wearing them. So, I can't wear gloves because I've gotten so much attention for not wearing gloves."

The 6-foot-1, 241-pounder has useful tools, such as large hands and strong grip. Long arms extend his tackle range and help him to ward off blockers.

A background in ice hockey and wrestling speak to his grit.

Dzubnar is one of seven inside linebackers on the camp roster. A year ago, the Chargers carried four ILBs with other linebackers on the practice squad.

Three veterans -- Donald Butler, Manti Te'o and Kavell Conner -- all made starts last year and second-round pick Denzel Perryman seems a lock to make the team.

Besides Gates, veterans such as Te'o and Melvin Ingram have praised Dzubnar, whose only detractors may be NFL broadcasters wary of his name. It's pronounced duh-ZOOB-nar.

Notes

Te'o, who appeared to ice a shoulder at Arizona, missed his second practice in a row. A pairing of Perryman and Dzubnar, who against Arizona assumed Te'o's role of relaying John Pagano's calls, is an option for part of Saturday's game.

Coach Mike McCoy praised the players Wednesday for working through a second consecutive practice in pads. He said he'll ease back the rest of the week.

Left guard Orlando Franklin didn't practice due to injury, which could open up snaps for Jeremiah Sirles.

Chris Davis and Dontrelle Inman haven't practiced since they were concussed in exhibitions one and two, respectively.
                    Build Back Better.

Comment

• Antonio's Gates
                      Registered Charger Fan
                      • Jun 2013
                      • Send PM

Duh-zub-nar!

This guy is a lot better than bront bird. He's always around the ball and gets off blocks. I'd be surprised if he didn't make the 53. Team obviously loves him. I think Dzubnar and tyrell Williams will be the two UDFAs to make the 53 this year.

Comment

• Marshall/Boogie
                        Registered Charger Fan
                        • Jun 2013
                        • Send PM

I'd be ok with that! I like them both so gar from what they've shown..
                        Well.. you can at least see the croutons in the dark.

Comment

Working...
                        X