• Show
Clear All
  • Panamamike
    Registered Charger Fan
    • Jun 2013
    • Send PM

Originally posted by Formula Two One View Post
    Guys that can tackle on STs are stars.
    We have seen some guys make excellent careers via ST tackling and gunning. I agree with you, it is an important aspect of the game which must be a big skill set of your depth/reserve players at positions of LB, WR, DB.

Comment

• Steve
      Administrator
      • Jun 2013
      • South Carolina
      • Meteorologist
      • Send PM

The only players who get to avoid playing ST are guys who are starters who get extended playing time, or are too big to run up and down the field. If you take out a lot NT, OG, OT types, pretty much every backup has to play extensively on ST. Then add in guys like the nickle DB, dime DB, 3rd WR, 2nd TE, those guys play an additional 30 plays on O, plus 30 plays on ST, that is a full time job. The alternative is to take guys who are already on the field full time for 60-70 plays and ask them to play the 30 or so ST plays per game.

Conner already plays a big role on ST. Perryman hasn't done much on ST, but is a high draft pick. Unfortunately, he has allowed at least 2 TD single handed. Dzubnar has made a bunch of plays, but if he wants to convince the team it carry more than a starter and a backup at both ILB spots (Teo and Perryman at SILB, Butler and Conner at WILB), then he has to shine on ST too.

Unless the team just goes off the most productive, in which case Perryman is gone. But that is not how it works, and I think everyone understands that.

Up until this week, the top of the 3rd strong LB was Dzubnar, and it wasn't close. But Mueller and Underwood both had strong games, coming off the edge, and they can both play ST too. Maybe not as well, but they have value at spots where you can't have enough depth.

Comment

• Antonio's Gates
        Registered Charger Fan
        • Jun 2013
        • Send PM

Duh-zub-nar!

Dzubnar will make the team. Chris Davis going to IR opens up a spot for an extra LB. They won't carry 6 corners now. My guess is Ducre or Crawford or both to the practice squad.

Comment

• Stinky Wizzleteats+
          Grammar Police
          • Jun 2013
          • Send PM

Name your CBs and LBrs and what about Sorenson and Lambo?
          Go Rivers!

Comment

• Steve
            Administrator
            • Jun 2013
            • South Carolina
            • Meteorologist
            • Send PM

It's a lot more complex then just CB to free up spots for LB. You really have to look a the whole roster. Gates being suspended and the other TE from last year all being FA doesn't help matters. But after final cutdowns, plus about 3 days, we will start to have an idea what the roster will really look like.

Comment

• Stinky Wizzleteats+
              Grammar Police
              • Jun 2013
              • Send PM

LCLARK@THETRIBUNENEWS.COM
              Go Rivers!

Comment

• Mister Hoarse
                No Sir, I Dont Like It
                • Jun 2013
                • Section 457
                • Migrant Film Worker
                • Send PM

That last quote would make a good sig.
                Dean Spanos Should Get Ass Cancer Of The Ass!
                sigpic

Comment

• Formula 21
                  The Future is Now
                  • Jun 2013
                  • Republic of San Diego
                  • Send PM

Then Sunday, San Diego defensive coordinator John Pagano called Dzubnar and delivered the news: He was officially a San Diego Charger.
                  Not till Sunday? Sounds like he was guy 53, sounds like he was the guy who would get cut if they signed another player.
                  Now, if you excuse me, I have some Charger memories to suppress.
                  The Wasted Decade is done.
                  Build Back Better.

Comment

• Bolt-O
                    Administrator
                    • Jun 2013
                    • Send PM

Originally posted by Formula Two One View Post
                    Not till Sunday? Sounds like he was guy 53, sounds like he was the guy who would get cut if they signed another player.
                    And hopefully he won't be cut after the first game and become a star, like Welker, on some other team.

Comment

• Antonio's Gates
                      Registered Charger Fan
                      • Jun 2013
                      • Send PM

First cut will be Unrein. I'd put money on it. They're not gonna cut a young guy like Dzubnar over a journeyman.

Comment

• KNSD
                        Registered Charger Hater
                        • Jun 2013
                        • Send PM

Unrein seemed to me to be productive in the preseason. I'd cut Reyes.
                        Prediction:
                        Correct: Chargers CI fails miserably.
                        Fail: Team stays in San Diego until their lease runs out in 2020. (without getting new deal done by then) .
                        Sig Bet WIN: The Chargers will file for relocation on January 15.

Comment

• Antonio's Gates
                          Registered Charger Fan
                          • Jun 2013
                          • Send PM

I've been down on Reyes but thought he had a solid showing against Seattle, and that was against their starters not their 3rd stringers like Unrein.

Comment

Working...
                          X