• Show
Clear All
  • Steve
    Administrator
    • Jun 2013
    • South Carolina
    • Meteorologist
    • Send PM

I still think Bienemy's big problem is that no one wants the face of the franchise to be short and fat. It's not an impressive visual but has little or nothing to do with him as a coach.

Comment

• northerner
      Charger fan since '79
      • Mar 2019
      • Send PM

Originally posted by richpjr View Post

I wonder what our record would be if Lynn was our coach this year...

You can never tell how a long term college coach like Meyer or Saban will work out and if they can adjust to the vastly different world of professional sports.
      so true. if Saban came back to the NFL, my bet is that he would fail. life is harder when you don't have a top 5 recruiting class every year.

Comment

• Steve
        Administrator
        • Jun 2013
        • South Carolina
        • Meteorologist
        • Send PM

Saban was at least an NFL assistant for 3 years as a coordinator (Cleveland under BB). Meyer had only coached HS and college.

It probably didn't help that Meyer has only ever been a spread-option coach. Saban was mostly in pro style schemes in his time coming up, back when most college teams ran similar schemes to the pro's.

Comment

• Heatmiser
          HarbaughHarrisonHeatMiser
          • Jun 2013
          • Send PM

Originally posted by Steve View Post
          I still think Bienemy's big problem is that no one wants the face of the franchise to be short and fat. It's not an impressive visual but has little or nothing to do with him as a coach.
          Well, there’s Belicheck. And Andy Reed ain’t no beauty. I think you are having us on.

TG
          Like, how am I a traitor? Your team are traitors.

Comment

• Bolt Dude
            Draftnik
            • Oct 2020
            • Send PM

Urban sacked in Jacksonville

This article says the final straw was when Meyer literally kicked the kicker (Lambo), who was cut after missing his first 3 attempts.
            https://nypost.com/2021/12/16/urban-...f-turmoil/amp/

What a fucking dumpster fire.
            Our quarterback is a golden god.

Comment

• Bolt4Knob
              Registered Charger Fan
              • Dec 2019
              • Send PM

I was wrong on Urban Meyer

I was wrong on STaley =- I wanted Daboll

Staley is pretty impressive

Comment

• Parcells
                Registered Charger Fan
                • Jun 2013
                • Send PM

Meyer speaks well, is clean cut, and presents himself like a dignified person. That has led to people not judging him based on the merits of his actions. Also, I think some of the Tim Tebow vibes rubbed off on Meyer.

But look at his time at Florida: the amount of trouble his players got into is mind boggling. And he kept covering shit up and recruiting guys with bad track records. It’s very reminiscent of Joe Paterno. In the end, these were not good guys.

Meyer got used to everything being covered up and being able to act a certain way. Once he got to the NFL, he didn’t have the small city media covering his ass.

I’m surprised it was this much of a shitshow because I figured he had more common sense than this, but I’m not surprised that in the end we’ve come to the realization that the guy is likely a sociopath.

Comment

• Bolt-O
                  Administrator
                  • Jun 2013
                  • Send PM

We should make this thread into Coaches that we wish the Raiders would hire.

Comment

• Bolt4Knob
                    Registered Charger Fan
                    • Dec 2019
                    • Send PM

Originally posted by Parcells View Post
                    Meyer speaks well, is clean cut, and presents himself like a dignified person. That has led to people not judging him based on the merits of his actions. Also, I think some of the Tim Tebow vibes rubbed off on Meyer.

But look at his time at Florida: the amount of trouble his players got into is mind boggling. And he kept covering shit up and recruiting guys with bad track records. It’s very reminiscent of Joe Paterno. In the end, these were not good guys.

Meyer got used to everything being covered up and being able to act a certain way. Once he got to the NFL, he didn’t have the small city media covering his ass.

I’m surprised it was this much of a shitshow because I figured he had more common sense than this, but I’m not surprised that in the end we’ve come to the realization that the guy is likely a sociopath.
                    College football for most coaches is about recruiting first and foremost

Talent will win you a lot of games in College Football and Hoops

Comment

• Velo
                      Ride!
                      • Aug 2019
                      • Everywhere
                      • Leave the gun, take the cannolis
                      • Send PM

1. Brandon Staley 8-5
                      2. Arthur Smith 6-7
                      3. Nick Sirianni 6-7
                      4. Robert Salah 3-10
                      5. David Culley 2-11
                      6. Urban Meyer 2-11 (fired)
                      7. Dan Campbell 1-11-1

Brandon Staley is the only rookie HC with his team currently in the playoff window. So what does he have that the other rookie head coaches don't have? Justin Herbert.

The two 6-7 teams at least have competent QB play. Teams 4-7 have disasters at the QB position, and two of them have the 1st and 2nd picks in this year's draft.
                      Last edited by Velo; 12-16-2021, 02:24 PM.

Comment

• Heatmiser
                        HarbaughHarrisonHeatMiser
                        • Jun 2013
                        • Send PM

Arthur Smith and Nick Siriani have done way better than I gave them credit for. Both of those teams are pretty flawed. Being close to .500 is impressive.

TG
                        Like, how am I a traitor? Your team are traitors.

Comment

• Critty
                          Dominate the Day.
                          • Mar 2019
                          • Send PM

I was hoping they hired a defensive minded coach and Staley was my favorite for the job.

3 things I really liked about him. DC of #1 defense with Rams, former college QB at Dayton and his teaching style.

But you never know how things work out long term. I was a fan of previous coach and after the 12-4 season, I thought we had a long term solution at coach and just needed to build a championship roster. But then the wheels feel off and a change was made.

Right now the future looks bright with Staley and Herbert.
                          I still think you have to build up a championship level roster and adding Roberts and Hopkins to special teams really helped to quickly upgrade that phase of the 3 phases of football and give Chargers a chance this year to make some noise. Not sure what record would be if they still were using Viz and Hill, but my guess is it would have cost them a game.

Staley early season postgame locker room and he is saying things like: "We are are not here to participate, we are here to win" "it being difficult to fly back east to win a game is a myth"

So far so good.
                          Who has it better than us?

Comment

Working...
                          X