Clear All
  • Steve
    Administrator
    • Jun 2013
    • South Carolina
    • Meteorologist
    • Send PM

Thoughts About KC

I'm not a big fan of signing UFA, but one way to make better signings of FA is to take players who have performed well for KC, so at least they don't have them. Then even if they don't perform well for us, KC doesn't have them and has to waste resources filling the holes.

OT - Orlando Brown
    CB - Charvarius Ward or CB Mike Hughes
    DB - Tyrann Mathieu - play Star or Money like he has been in KC
    DT - Jarren Reed

All of these guys would potentially upgrade a hole on our roster and would be a significant hole that would need to be filled for KC. They have something in the neighborhood of $30 mill in cap space, but a fair number of holes and a number of these positions could cost them a lot. That also doesn't count the amount that they need to sign their draft picks.

And about It would cost us a lot to sign them, but we have more than 2x the cap space.

Also, Schoefield, Norton and Pipkins all played pretty well tonight.
  • Parcells
    Registered Charger Fan
    • Jun 2013
    • Send PM

Don’t go making moves because it will hurt your opponent. Go making move because it makes your team stronger. Aside from the Chiefs, there are thirty other teams we have to worry about. I’m not opposed to signing someone away from the Chiefs, but the primary reason has to be that it will make us better.

Comment

• Steve
      Administrator
      • Jun 2013
      • South Carolina
      • Meteorologist
      • Send PM

The problem with all FA signings are, at least historically speaking a waste of time and money. The vast majority of all signings are a complete waste.

That being said, these moves are about the same as most FA moves, they address the needs we have, only they have the additional element of potentially hurting the Chefs.

As far as making sure it will help us, there is very little chance of helping ourselves through FA. As I have stated many times, at least historically, you would be better off piling the money into a stack of bills and having a bonfire.

That being said, I am sure the Chargers will piss some of the money away this offseason despite the fact that there is a very limited chance of things working out.

Comment

• Boltjolt
        Dont let the PBs fool ya
        • Jun 2013
        • Henderson, NV
        • Send PM

KC will just sign others.

I don't think they are a waste. You just have to sign the right ones that fit just like drafting players.

Elway win a SB by signing the right FAs as he was a lousy drafter. Peyton obviously being his best.

I suggested signing Mathieu when he was a FA and I think you said then he wasn't a good fit or something of the sort but he has played well in both teams he has played for.
        He was a little expensive but a good player.

Comment

• Steve
          Administrator
          • Jun 2013
          • South Carolina
          • Meteorologist
          • Send PM

I didn't think Mathieu was a good fit for Gus's D. I think he is a pretty good fit for our current D. he didn't really have a position in the base D in the Bradley/Seahawks D, unless you think he was going to play CB or FS in the deep middle of the field, which is not a position he is used as in Houston or KC. Mathieu is just one of the best paid nickle CB in the NFL, but he doesn't really play in KC base D.

Elway was only a good FA guy when they had a play well or else mentality. When everyone knew it was SB or bust, back when Manning was the QB, then every FA knew they were gone if they didn't produce at a high level, and he did get rid of some FA who didn't produce. However, since then, most of the FA he has signed are just as bad as every other FA signing, which is to say, mostly a waste of time/space/money.

Again, the vast majority of FA never do anything. Most people just deny it because they see players and see the player they used to be. Then the teams sign new players and they go to shit. Most fans only pay attention to their own team and think it is just their team, but it is most of the players in the NFL. The good best players never make it to become FA.

Comment

• Parcells
            Registered Charger Fan
            • Jun 2013
            • Send PM

Linsley, Feiler, and Oboushi would show we’ve had some good signings.

I think going after mid level guys tends to be the sort of thing that more often works out in free agency.

The big name guys seem to have a lower success rate.

Comment

• Bolt4Knob
              Registered Charger Fan
              • Dec 2019
              • Send PM

Chargers have the cap space - if Dean Spanos is willing to spend the cash these next two years with Herbert on a rookie deal. And by spending the cash, I mean stretching the cap like the Saints and Chiefs do. Thats step 1

Step 2 - is Tom Telesco the right person making the decisions? I personally think the answer is No.

But the Chargers have the cap space to really improve this team - and with draft picks - can get much better. Its just about making the RIGHT decisions with the player. The cap can be manipulated. Pick the right players.

Comment

• La Costa Boy
                Pretty much retired......
                • Sep 2018
                • JoJa
                • Bloviator of hot air and rhetoric.
                • Send PM

Originally posted by Parcells View Post
                Linsley, Feiler, and Oboushi would show we’ve had some good signings.

I think going after mid level guys tends to be the sort of thing that more often works out in free agency.

The big name guys seem to have a lower success rate.
                Funny....I thought of the same 3 guys when reading Steve's post. Let's hit on a couple of corners next season.

Comment

• Iowachargers 70
                  Registered Charger Fan
                  • Nov 2020
                  • Send PM

If you can't beat them, sign them. :shifty:
                  Last edited by Iowachargers 70; 12-17-2021, 12:15 PM.

Comment

• Hadl2Alworth
                    Registered Charger Fan
                    • Oct 2017
                    • Send PM

I want to sign Travis Kelce. When will he be a free agent?

Comment

• Bolts4ever213
                      Day One...
                      • Mar 2019
                      • Brentwood, 94513
                      • Send PM

My wish, is to continue to build both sides of the line. I want quality depth there, where is can help our special teams too. Also a few more corners. Tall n fast like Davis. No more little corners. Let’s also get a big back.

If you can’t take talent from a division rival, then do it. But like someone said, there’s a whole league of teams you also play.

Comment

• FoutsFan
                        Registered Charger Fan
                        • Feb 2019
                        • Birmingham AL
                        • Send PM

Originally posted by Bolts4ever213 View Post
                        My wish, is to continue to build both sides of the line. I want quality depth there, where is can help our special teams too. Also a few more corners. Tall n fast like Davis. No more little corners. Let’s also get a big back.

If you can’t take talent from a division rival, then do it. But like someone said, there’s a whole league of teams you also play.
                        Next Season I would like the Chargers to get either in the draft or FA a RT, resign Aboushi. Then put a hell of a lot into D line and DB. Between White and Tranquil I am OK with out LB ahead of the D line and DB situation.

Comment

Working...
                        X
                        😀
                        😂
                        🥰
                        😘
                        🤢
                        😎
                        😞
                        😡
                        👍