• Show
Clear All
  • MakoShark
    Disgruntled
    • Jun 2013
    • North Alabama
    • Send PM

TOP, Turnover Diff, Penalty's & 3rd Down Efficiency

These are 4 things I like to keep an eye on with this team. Intangibles that really mean a lot and point to a teams overall game-planning and discipline.

TOP: 38:12 to 21:48 in favor of the Bolts. Last year we were 2nd only to Philly in TOP. Moving the chains and sustaining drives. That's our offenses MO and a key to winning. In Sunday's heat, it had the added bonus of gassing the opponent.

Turnover Diff: -1 We beat the odds here. Teams don't normally win when they turn the ball over 3 times. Need to clean this up.

Penalty's: 5 for 40 yards. Call it average. What, I think, is important here is not the number of penalty's but the type. I believe we had only 1 false start (Watt) and zero off-sides. Its the stupid mental errors that cost you here, which my next point will reflect.

3rd Down Efficiency: 6-11. Started slow here, but came on the 2nd half. This stat does not reflect the 2 times that Rivers burned them with a hard count on 3rd down. This also contributes to the point about TOP.
    sigpic
  • Lightningwill_420

Originally posted by MakoShark View Post
    These are 4 things I like to keep an eye on with this team. Intangibles that really mean a lot and point to a teams overall game-planning and discipline.

TOP: 38:12 to 21:48 in favor of the Bolts. Last year we were 2nd only to Philly in TOP. Moving the chains and sustaining drives. That's our offenses MO and a key to winning. In Sunday's heat, it had the added bonus of gassing the opponent.

Turnover Diff: -1 We beat the odds here. Teams don't normally win when they turn the ball over 3 times. Need to clean this up.

Penalty's: 5 for 40 yards. Call it average. What, I think, is important here is not the number of penalty's but the type. I believe we had only 1 false start (Watt) and zero off-sides. Its the stupid mental errors that cost you here, which my next point will reflect.

3rd Down Efficiency: 6-11. Started slow here, but came on the 2nd half. This stat does not reflect the 2 times that Rivers burned them with a hard count on 3rd down. This also contributes to the point about TOP.
    Thanks. What about 3rd-down efficiency on defense?

Comment

• Panamamike
      Registered Charger Fan
      • Jun 2013
      • Send PM

Originally posted by Engine Engine Number 420 View Post
      Thanks. What about 3rd-down efficiency on defense?
      I would add that to the list as well for sure.

Comment

• kets
        Registered Charger Fan
        • Jun 2013
        • Send PM

Originally posted by MakoShark View Post

These aren't really intangibles, are they?

Comment

• KNSD
          Registered Charger Hater
          • Jun 2013
          • Send PM

Very surprised a quick play team like Philly had a good TOP.
          Prediction:
          Correct: Chargers CI fails miserably.
          Fail: Team stays in San Diego until their lease runs out in 2020. (without getting new deal done by then) .
          Sig Bet WIN: The Chargers will file for relocation on January 15.

Comment

• Coachmarkos
            Registered Charger Fan
            • Jun 2013
            • SoDak
            • Technology Director
            • Send PM

I've always found our 3rd down efficiency on defense to be about the same as the other team's offensive 3rd down efficiency.

but that's just me.
            "...of course that's just my opinion, I could be wrong."

Comment

• Lightningwill_420

Originally posted by coachmarkos View Post
              I've always found our 3rd down efficiency on defense to be about the same as the other team's offensive 3rd down efficiency.

but that's just me.
              What was the other team's offensive 3rd down efficiency?

Comment

• Highboltage
                Registered Charger Fan
                • Jun 2013
                • Send PM

Originally posted by Engine Engine Number 420 View Post
                What was the other team's offensive 3rd down efficiency?
                The same as our defense's 3rd down efficiency!:chuckle:

Comment

• Boltergeist
                  Pesky apparition
                  • Jun 2013
                  • Baja Oklahoma
                  • Send PM

We stopped the Lions on 7 of 10 third downs.

Comment

• thunderclap
                    Registered Charger Fan
                    • Oct 2013
                    • Send PM

Speaking of big stops, this is a great read on how the defense fooled Detroit's offense on Ingram's big hit.

Dave Birkett breaks down what's considered the "play of the game" during the Lions' 33-28 loss to the Chargers

Comment

• Stinky Wizzleteats+
                      Grammar Police
                      • Jun 2013
                      • Send PM

Game one, Super Melvin 1, Rookie 5th round pick 2...
                      Go Rivers!

Comment

• Heatmiser
                        HarbaughHarrisonHeatMiser
                        • Jun 2013
                        • Send PM

From watching this play over and over on highlights and looking at the pictures, it looks to me like Ingram's hands hit Stafford in the head and then Ingram's helmet contacted Stafford's. Anyone else see that?

Glad refs let it go.

TG
                        Like, how am I a traitor? Your team are traitors.

Comment

Working...
                        X