Tom Telesco Discussion - Retained for 2023 Season.

Collapse
X
Collapse
First Prev Next Last

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • powderblueboy
    Registered Charger Fan
    • Jul 2017
    • Send PM

Originally posted by richpjr View Post

Yes, but I think historically that the Spanii don't like lame duck coaches so I suspect he'll either be extended at the end of the year or fired if the wheels come off.
    i highly doubt they were paying NORv, McCoy, or Lynn contract money after they were cut loose.

You hear about the lame duck bit and the extensions.

i'd like to see those contracts: probably smoke and mirrors.

Comment

• Lefty2SLO
      Moderate Skeptic
      • May 2022
      • Send PM

Originally posted by Topcat View Post

Classic Spani move would be to extend Staley 3 years, and THEN fire him...
      Classic Spani move would be to extend Staley 3 years, and then KEEP him . . . . . (no matter what)

Comment

• LarryAW
        Registered Charger Fan
        • Sep 2018
        • Send PM

Originally posted by Bolt4Knob View Post

He's a below average GM and the Chargers need to overpay in free agency because of his inconsistent drafts
        The Chargers need WR and TE - when two years ago spent 3rd round picks on - WR and TE! Granted the WR is pretty average and the TE can't block or catch

I am just waiting for him to blow a bunch of draft picks to move up for Mayer from Notre Dame
        When it comes to the GM position, we can no longer call the Chargers cheap. It has nothing to do with his compensation, but all the wasted high draft picks. Ditching TT and getting a more competent GM, would save the Spanos Family a fucking fortune -- or would it?????

Maybe fans aren't wrong when they speculate that John-Boy has way more say in roster construction than anybody else does. That would make Telesco more of an Assistant GM, making phone calls and adding input. Apparently, they work well together, they obviously aren't going to take the gig away from John-Boy if this is the case, and firing Telesco wouldn't change much at all. John-Boy worked his way up through the organization and there is no way he is just a figurehead.

This makes much more sense to me than TT having compromising photos or the like. ;-)

Comment

• Boltgang74
          We Are The Storm!
          • Aug 2018
          • Send PM

Puke either way.Bring on the team sale.

Comment

• Fleet 1
            TPB Founder
            • Jun 2013
            • Kauai
            • Send PM

If TT fails to get us to the promised land this year....and he is not brought back for 2024...he leaves this team in a world of hurt. I cant see John letting his buddy go though. Shit i almost would rather see TT dig himself out of the misery he potentially is putting us in. The one positive about him as that we have done well in regards to the cap over the years. Staley could be to blame for some of this. We are over the cap before the projected 2024 increase by a few million already. Have JH to sign still. A bunch of guys that are likely to be untraded due to guaranteed money in 2024. Likely have to trade guys that would need a restructure. Linsey maybe Derwin? Good luck finding suitors for an aging Mack. Very least there will be no comp in return if we tried to move guys like Bosa/Mack/Keenan. Later round picks would help. As much as i like Derwin he may help us through the draft if we can get a couple high picks. I think you have to play next year with Mack and Keenan and they walk after 2023. But make no mistake TT needs to hit on most picks now that this team is up against it for the next couple years.

Who wants to come in and be a GM of a team in cap hell and needing to sign JH long term? Oh wait it doesn't matter since John is the puppet master anyways. Maybe he feels like he is giving TT enough rope to hang himself and thats how he can justify letting go of his best friend and still feel like he is not fueling his own codependency. Usually holding onto a player/coach/front office failure too long is a symptom of just that. Codependency.

Yeah...just sell the team. Lets get competent owners who stay out of the football ops. No more best friends running the show and coaching etc.

At least we are over 160M under the cap in 2025. Mack off the books. Keenan could take a cheap 2 year extension at his age and retire a bolt. Maybe push his cap onto those 2 years. Bonus etc. But those restructured hits next year look scary on the surface.

Really interested as a football guy to see how we navigate this asteroid field. Given this teams love for smashing into rocks over the years...i dont have a lot of faith with John at the helm.

Comment

• Topcat
              AKA "Pollcat"
              • Jan 2019
              • Send PM

Originally posted by Fleet 1 View Post
              Who wants to come in and be a GM of a team in cap hell and needing to sign JH long term? Oh wait it doesn't matter since John is the puppet master anyways. Maybe he feels like he is giving TT enough rope to hang himself and thats how he can justify letting go of his best friend and still feel like he is not fueling his own codependency. Usually holding onto a player/coach/front office failure too long is a symptom of just that. Codependency.
              Wow, this kind of reminds me of someone I know who works for an organization which is almost totally dysfunctional due mainly to hiring family and friends. The favoritism and nepotism there is out of control. When this person was hired, it was because they needed an accountant who was at least competent enough to get the bank statements and balance sheets in better shape to keep the auditor off their backs. This is what happens when you hire incompetent people and they stay in their positions for years. Things get neglected that should have been done years ago. Then all of a sudden, finances are in such terrible shape that bankruptcy appears probable. And that's going to result in massive cuts to customer services and layoffs within the organization. That's the Chargers...

Comment

• Fouts2herbert
                Charger Fan since 1978
                • Sep 2021
                • Send PM

Originally posted by richpjr View Post

Might is the key word. The reality is we don't know. It appears as if this is a make or break year for TT - I guess we'll see.
                The more I think of the uncharacteristic behavior from the team these last couple offseasons…I think that this is all happening to increase the value of the franchise before a sale…look the team is on the cusp of winning a championship so it’s worth more…IDK maybe it’s just wishful thinking on my part
                "The author assumes no responsibility or liability for any errors or omissions in the content of this post. The information contained in this post is provided on an "as is" basis with no guarantees of completeness, accuracy, usefulness or timeliness..."​​

Comment

• Lefty2SLO
                  Moderate Skeptic
                  • May 2022
                  • Send PM

Originally posted by Fouts2herbert View Post

The more I think of the uncharacteristic behavior from the team these last couple offseasons…I think that this is all happening to increase the value of the franchise before a sale…look the team is on the cusp of winning a championship so it’s worth more…IDK maybe it’s just wishful thinking on my part
                  I think that there's components of both elements in their recent offseason actions; 1) management really does want to win (as long as they don't have to spend too much money to do so), and 2) they see that there's also a financial benefit if the team is successful - so win win.

I'm praying for a sale in a couple of years . . . . . who know - it could happen

Comment

• Fleet 1
                    TPB Founder
                    • Jun 2013
                    • Kauai
                    • Send PM

I think there are some filthy rich people out there that view cracking the elite 32 frat a major part of their legacy. Guy like Bezos. I dont think the value of a team means anything to someone worth so many Billions. The team making money might not even be a concern for a guy like that. I mean if i were that guy? I might give serious thought to trying to be a hero. Savior complex kicks in. Team may be worth 4B...but id pay 6B to get into that 32 man elite frat. Build my own stadium and move the team back to SD. And be worshipped by all. But i have a God complex as most of you likely see here. lol

Mix in the fact we have never won a SB? That whole thing sounds so fun to me. You want to be remembered long after you are gone? Buy an losing NFL franchise and turn them into the Pats. Kraft is a God in Boston. I would love to be a savior or a hero...not just a filthy rich business guy. Boring.

Comment

• Lefty2SLO
                      Moderate Skeptic
                      • May 2022
                      • Send PM

Originally posted by Fleet 1 View Post

I think there are some filthy rich people out there that view cracking the elite 32 frat a major part of their legacy. Guy like Bezos. I dont think the value of a team means anything to someone worth so many Billions. The team making money might not even be a concern for a guy like that. I mean if i were that guy? I might give serious thought to trying to be a hero. Savior complex kicks in. Team may be worth 4B...but id pay 6B to get into that 32 man elite frat. Build my own stadium and move the team back to SD. And be worshipped by all. But i have a God complex as most of you likely see here. lol

Mix in the fact we have never won a SB? That whole thing sounds so fun to me. You want to be remembered long after you are gone? Buy an losing NFL franchise and turn them into the Pats. Kraft is a God in Boston. I would love to be a savior or a hero...not just a filthy rich business guy. Boring.
                      I could do 'filthy rich and boring'

Comment

• Fouts2herbert
                        Charger Fan since 1978
                        • Sep 2021
                        • Send PM

Originally posted by Lefty2SLO View Post

I think that there's components of both elements in their recent offseason actions; 1) management really does want to win (as long as they don't have to spend too much money to do so), and 2) they see that there's also a financial benefit if the team is successful - so win win.

I'm praying for a sale in a couple of years . . . . . who know - it could happen
                        I’ve been lighting my candles since the Dea issues went public
                        "The author assumes no responsibility or liability for any errors or omissions in the content of this post. The information contained in this post is provided on an "as is" basis with no guarantees of completeness, accuracy, usefulness or timeliness..."​​

Comment

• Lefty2SLO
                          Moderate Skeptic
                          • May 2022
                          • Send PM

I’ve been lighting my candles since the Dea issues went public
                          Aren't we all . . . . .

Comment

Working...
                          X