Clear All
  • Ghost of Quacksaw
    Beef Before Gazelles
    • May 2021
    • Send PM

Originally posted by sonorajim View Post

That can be taken two ways.
    We simply got some great players day 3,
    or we're so pathetic talent wise that we'll be digging through the rubbish looking for bodies.
    I believe that we had a good, very insightful draft but that remains to be proven.
    To be fair, I think it's entirely possible that the Bolts pick up a player or two from the waiver wire at final cutdowns.

You know that means that they recognize that their depth still isn't where they'd like it.
    Last edited by Ghost of Quacksaw; 06-11-2022, 06:43 PM.

Comment

• Topcat
      AKA "Pollcat"
      • Jan 2019
      • Send PM

That can be taken two ways.
      We simply got some great players day 3,
      or we're so pathetic talent wise that we'll be digging through the rubbish looking for bodies.
      I believe that we had a good, very insightful draft but that remains to be proven.
      I'd rather dig through the Day 3 draft picks, than to do the TT midseason special of digging through the bottom of the FA barrel...

Comment

• blueman
        Registered Charger Fan
        • Jun 2013
        • Send PM

Originally posted by Ghost of Quacksaw View Post

Telesco and Staley recognize that a lack of DB depth REALLY hurt the team last year, and their draft reflected that.

But Ja'sir Taylor and Deane Leonard will only get snaps on defense if somebody higher on the depth chart is injured. If all goes as we hope, they'll only see the field on special teams. If they're needed on defense, they won't be too ill-equipped for the task though, because they were selected for the system-compatible traits they possess.
        I’m not too sure about that, Vato’s inconsistencies have always made me nervous (coaches too, apparently). Underperforming at any position seems to be officially put on notice.

Comment

• TexanBeerlover
          Registered Charger Fan
          • Feb 2021
          • Send PM

Other than Salyer (not planned but fell into their laps, much better OL depth) Zion (improving interior OL hole) JT Woods (deep safety to bump Derwin closer to scrimmage) Spiller (later but not too late to grab RB #2) Otitto Ogbonnia shore up interior DL, Ja’Sir Taylor and Deane Leonard shore up DB depth, and last but not least Zander Horvath (special teams, ground & pound physical back). These were all planned coaches/Staley picks.

Majority of draft weight was on the back end of draft, so after trade for Mack (2nd rd. pick) only two prospects are plug and play staters. However for all those wanting better depth, mission accomplished. Add 4 plug and play starters via FA, JC Jackson, Sebastian Joseph Day, Austin Johnson and Gerald Everett they brought in three impact spot staters in Kyle Van Noy, Bryce Callahan and Morgan Fox.

Special teams tbd. Not a real big fan of Carter over Andre Hopkins. Resigned kicker Dustin Hopkins, meh. Hopefully new special teams coach Ryan Ficken is the biggest catch and can continue positive trend upwards, but that will need a break out starter or two, much better tackling and team speed. I’m

Comment

• powderblueboy
            Registered Charger Fan
            • Jul 2017
            • Send PM

Originally posted by TexanBeerlover View Post
            Other than Salyer (not planned but fell into their laps, much better OL depth) Zion (improving interior OL hole) JT Woods (deep safety to bump Derwin closer to scrimmage) Spiller (later but not too late to grab RB #2) Otitto Ogbonnia shore up interior DL, Ja’Sir Taylor and Deane Leonard shore up DB depth, and last but not least Zander Horvath (special teams, ground & pound physical back). These were all planned coaches/Staley picks.

Majority of draft weight was on the back end of draft, so after trade for Mack (2nd rd. pick) only two prospects are plug and play staters. However for all those wanting better depth, mission accomplished. Add 4 plug and play starters via FA, JC Jackson, Sebastian Joseph Day, Austin Johnson and Gerald Everett they brought in three impact spot staters in Kyle Van Noy, Bryce Callahan and Morgan Fox.

Special teams tbd. Not a real big fan of Carter over Andre Hopkins. Resigned kicker Dustin Hopkins, meh. Hopefully new special teams coach Ryan Ficken is the biggest catch and can continue positive trend upwards, but that will need a break out starter or two, much better tackling and team speed. I’m
            I would not call certain day 3 guys as adequate depth: Spiller/Salyer......and that is about it.

Otitto can't effectively red shirt this season: Chargers need him to be productive when he substitutes for the starters. This is not guaranteed by a long shot - he's raw.
            Taylor and Leonard might be a big liability when they enter games this year, provided they make the team;
            Horvath as a fullback talk should be shelved: maybe he makes the team as a 3rd/4rth back/special teams guy....maybe, no.
            From what i've seen, he is a good college back, but nothing special as a runner: can he pass protect? How about special teams? He's not much as a receiver.

Comment

• blueman
              Registered Charger Fan
              • Jun 2013
              • Send PM

Originally posted by powderblueboy View Post

I would not call certain day 3 guys as adequate depth: Spiller/Salyer......and that is about it.

Otitto can't effectively red shirt this season: Chargers need him to be productive when he substitutes for the starters. This is not guaranteed by a long shot - he's raw.
              Taylor and Leonard might be a big liability when they enter games this year, provided they make the team;
              Horvath as a fullback talk should be shelved: maybe he makes the team as a 3rd/4rth back/special teams guy....maybe, no.
              From what i've seen, he is a good college back, but nothing special as a runner: can he pass protect? How about special teams? He's not much as a receiver.
              You want the guys they’re slated to replace back? Especially on D, which was historically bad when those players were on the field? Okay, but I’ll take the devil I don’t (yet) know, thanks. These guys were drafted specifically to replace bad depth, let them fight it out in TC.

Comment

• Lefty2SLO
                Moderate Skeptic
                • May 2022
                • Send PM

Originally posted by powderblueboy View Post

One of Horvath's strength's is receiving, another is pass protection (run blocking - not so much). I agree that he's not a fullback (yet).

Comment

• sonorajim
                  Registered Charger Fan
                  • Jan 2019
                  • Send PM

Originally posted by blueman View Post

You want the guys they’re slated to replace back? Especially on D, which was historically bad when those players were on the field? Okay, but I’ll take the devil I don’t (yet) know, thanks. These guys were drafted specifically to replace bad depth, let them fight it out in TC.
                  Right. TBL accepts Spiller & Salyer. So do I.
                  Tito is competing with Fehoko and Merrill for a slot to back up Bash & AJ at IDL/ NT. I like his size, track & field explosion but he will have to win the job.
                  Tillery, Fox, Covington, Gaziano, Brown are the sub-300 lb DL who can play anywhere if called on.
                  CBs Taylor & Leonard are sub 4.4 guys who will compete in a crowded room, ( 9 CB) may have STs value.
                  Horvath is the most athletic FB ever tested at the combine. Why not see what he can do?

Comment

• TexanBeerlover
                    Registered Charger Fan
                    • Feb 2021
                    • Send PM

Ja’Sir will be Chargers featured returner @ some point this season, mark my words.

Comment

• equivocation
                      Registered Charger Fan
                      • Apr 2021
                      • Send PM

Originally posted by Lefty2SLO View Post

One of Horvath's strength's is receiving, another is pass protection (run blocking - not so much). I agree that he's not a fullback (yet).
                      Right. Watch Purdue games the last couple years, running is really an afterthought to them. He developed in receiving and pass pro his last year.

Comment

• blueman
                        Registered Charger Fan
                        • Jun 2013
                        • Send PM

Right. TBL accepts Spiller & Salyer. So do I.
                        Tito is competing with Fehoko and Merrill for a slot to back up Bash & AJ at IDL/ NT. I like his size, track & field explosion but he will have to win the job.
                        Tillery, Fox, Covington, Gaziano, Brown are the sub-300 lb DL who can play anywhere if called on.
                        CBs Taylor & Leonard are sub 4.4 guys who will compete in a crowded room, ( 9 CB) may have STs value.
                        Horvath is the most athletic FB ever tested at the combine. Why not see what he can do?
                        CB room ain’t that crowded, just send home the guys who shouldn’t even be on a roster. (not sorry if that’s too negative)

Comment

• powderblueboy
                          Registered Charger Fan
                          • Jul 2017
                          • Send PM

Originally posted by blueman View Post

It will probably be a choice between lemons and limes......that is the realistic aspect of all this.
                          You do not fix roster holes with rooks drafted in the 7th round. More than likely, if its Ja'sir or Tevaughn Campbell, they'll be targeted to the hilt.

I hope to be pleasantly surprised. Fortunately, whoever it is will have been dropped one or two spots on the depth chart from last year's.

Comment

Working...
                          X