• Velo
    Ride!
    • Aug 2019
    • Everywhere
    • Leave the gun, take the cannolis
    • Send PM

Originally posted by Riverwalk View Post
    This dude thinks a 6th round pick is the ceiling for a Tillery trade. ,

The LA Chargers could get more value out of Jerry Tillery by trading him for a draft pick before the 2022 season begins.

I say Telesco won’t do that to save face.
    This writer is not very credible. I hesitate to bag on him because he may be an active member of this forum. But he churns reams of copy that is mostly nonsense.

Comment

• Velo
      Ride!
      • Aug 2019
      • Everywhere
      • Leave the gun, take the cannolis
      • Send PM

Originally posted by Topcat View Post

Yep...yer probably right, River...I think the Bolts keep Titanic Tillery as cheap depth...since they have upgraded their D-line lately, I'm guessing Tillery's snap count goes down this season...
      Cheap to keep this year, but probably not here next season for good reason.

Comment

• CivilBolt
        Registered Charger Fan
        • Nov 2019
        • Send PM

Originally posted by Topcat View Post

Yep...yer probably right, River...I think the Bolts keep Titanic Tillery as cheap depth...since they have upgraded their D-line lately, I'm guessing Tillery's snap count goes down this season...
        Won’t be surprised if he pulls a Butler. Plays very good his contract year then gets lazy after the big payday.

Comment

• Topcat
          AKA "Pollcat"
          • Jan 2019
          • Send PM

Originally posted by CivilBolt View Post

Won’t be surprised if he pulls a Butler. Plays very good his contract year then gets lazy after the big payday.
          Sure hope not...the only thing worse than pulling a "Butler" is pulling a "Big Lazy"...ugh...

Comment

• nomad1946
            Registered Charger Fan
            • Jun 2017
            • West Yellowstone, Montana
            • Retired
            • Send PM

If they can get a 6th round draft pick, I say trade him. That does also free up 3.6 million in CAP space, and I doubt he will play much this year in any case.

Comment

• sonorajim
              Registered Charger Fan
              • Jan 2019
              • Send PM

If he makes the cut based on his training camp performance I say play Tillery. We're making a run at the SB, Now! TT & the Coach can decide re-up or trade postseason.

Comment

• chargeroo
                Fan since 1961
                • Jan 2019
                • Oregon
                • Retired Manager/Pastor
                • Send PM

Originally posted by nomad1946 View Post
                If they can get a 6th round draft pick, I say trade him. That does also free up 3.6 million in CAP space, and I doubt he will play much this year in any case.
                If Tillery had been drafted in, say ... round three, everyone would think he's okay. But, we want the first-round picks to be elite. The reality is, that not many are elite. You can always use competent back-ups.
                THE YEAR OF THE FLIP!

Comment

• Formula 21
                  The Future is Now
                  • Jun 2013
                  • Republic of San Diego
                  • Send PM

[QUOTE=Topcat;n1355968]
                  Originally posted by powderblueboy View Post

Don't jump to any rash decisions!
                  He can put electronic devices on Charger players during training camp to record how long they are spending going to the rest room.
                  Charger practices will be super efficient.

That almost reminds me of George Allen when he was coaching the L.A. Rams...during practices, especially on really hot days, Allen ordered the waterboy to only give the players water if they had a good practice...
                  And the staff at the University of MD killed a player in distress a few years ago by pushing him past his limits. That’s football. It changes slowly.
                  Now, if you excuse me, I have some Charger memories to suppress.
                  The Wasted Decade is done.
                  Build Back Better.

Comment

• Formula 21
                    The Future is Now
                    • Jun 2013
                    • Republic of San Diego
                    • Send PM

From PFF, not sure how to interpret it, but don’t like the results. I do feel the Bolts O doesn’t play up to its skill level. And we do see who is in the playoffs and who isn’t.

Distance from the origin (0,0) — at least as it pertains to the first two principal components — is a measure of the scheme’s uniqueness. There is actually a more robust way to measure scheme uniqueness, which is to take each of the principal components, multiply them by the amount of variance they contribute and add them up. If this is done, these are the offensive play-callers in 2021 in order of uniqueness, which actually can be shown to contribute to betting prices on a weekly basis:
                    Rank Name Team
                    1 Kyle Shanahan SF
                    2 Kliff Kingsbury ARZ
                    3 Sean McVay LA
                    4 Andy Reid KC
                    5 Arthur Smith ATL
                    For completeness, here are the offensive coordinators with the least unique schemes:
                    Rank Name Team
                    28 Tim Kelly HOU
                    29 Anthony Lynn DET
                    30 Kellen Moore DAL
                    31 Joe Brady CAR
                    32 Joe Lombardi LAC
                    Now, if you excuse me, I have some Charger memories to suppress.
                    The Wasted Decade is done.
                    Build Back Better.

Comment

• blueman
                      Registered Charger Fan
                      • Jun 2013
                      • Send PM

Originally posted by chargeroo View Post
                      If Tillery had been drafted in, say ... round three, everyone would think he's okay. But, we want the first-round picks to be elite. The reality is, that not many are elite. You can always use competent back-ups.
                      That’s what he’s battling, is he the most competent backup, or is it someone else.

Comment

• sonorajim
                        Registered Charger Fan
                        • Jan 2019
                        • Send PM

[QUOTE=Formula 21;n1356124]From PFF, not sure how to interpret it, but don’t like the results. I do feel the Bolts O doesn’t play up to its skill level. And we do see who is in the playoffs and who isn’t.

~~~
                        I assume that you are referring to 2021 when we were the NFL's 4th most successful offense in Staley / Lombardi's 1st year with the Chargers.
                        Allegedly, 2022, yr 2 will be foot ball 202 in this offense. There may have been some dumbing down but if so the '21 results were an incredible display of skill when everyone knew what we were doing and could not stop it. If we successfully install a level of deception, the rest of the NFL is in trouble.

Comment

• Ghost of Quacksaw
                          Beef Before Gazelles
                          • May 2021
                          • Send PM

Originally posted by Formula 21 View Post
                          From PFF, not sure how to interpret it, but don’t like the results. I do feel the Bolts O doesn’t play up to its skill level. And we do see who is in the playoffs and who isn’t.

Distance from the origin (0,0) — at least as it pertains to the first two principal components — is a measure of the scheme’s uniqueness. There is actually a more robust way to measure scheme uniqueness, which is to take each of the principal components, multiply them by the amount of variance they contribute and add them up. If this is done, these are the offensive play-callers in 2021 in order of uniqueness, which actually can be shown to contribute to betting prices on a weekly basis:
                          Rank Name Team
                          1 Kyle Shanahan SF
                          2 Kliff Kingsbury ARZ
                          3 Sean McVay LA
                          4 Andy Reid KC
                          5 Arthur Smith ATL
                          For completeness, here are the offensive coordinators with the least unique schemes:
                          Rank Name Team
                          28 Tim Kelly HOU
                          29 Anthony Lynn DET
                          30 Kellen Moore DAL
                          31 Joe Brady CAR
                          32 Joe Lombardi LAC
                          Very interesting. Thanks for posting.

It's reasonable to think that *some* of the Chargers' offensive "lack of uniqueness" stems from the fact that 2021 was a first year pairing of Lombardi-- and his scheme-- with Herbert.

We've all read Herb's comments about how at this time last year, he felt like he was 'drowning' as he attempted to absorb the playbook.

Now? Herb's saying it's a different story now, that getting everyone lined up correctly is automatic now, and that he can much more easily focus on *executing* the play. Add improved protection from his O-line, a better blocking primary TE than he had last year, and... How could this *not* allow Lombardi to be more creative in his play calling?!? And it's not as if Lombardi has been accused of underutilizing the offensive weaponry he had at his disposal in New Orleans, right?

So I expect an uptick in this area, anyway, just on the basis of familiarity and competence.

Allow me to advance a bullet point of philosophy for the Chargers' offense, moving forward with Herb as QB.

* Each week-- unless there are specific, justifiable reasons NOT to-- make it part of each week's offensive game plan to scheme TWO running plays for Herb.

Why? Because schemed, this is a small enough number to be executed without risk to Herb's health. And when the defense KNOWS that Herb's going to end up taking off with the ball a couple of times, they HAVE TO relax their coverage on other guys MOST of the time. They know it'll happen, they just don't know when. It forces them to make coverage allowances for that possibility.

Comment

Working...
                          X