• Show
Clear All
  • blueman
    Registered Charger Fan
    • Jun 2013
    • Send PM

[QUOTE=sonorajim;n1356127]
    Originally posted by Formula 21 View Post
    From PFF, not sure how to interpret it, but don’t like the results. I do feel the Bolts O doesn’t play up to its skill level. And we do see who is in the playoffs and who isn’t.

~~~
    I assume that you are referring to 2021 when we were the NFL's 4th most successful offense in Staley / Lombardi's 1st year with the Chargers.
    Allegedly, 2022, yr 2 will be foot ball 202 in this offense. There may have been some dumbing down but if so the '21 results were an incredible display of skill when everyone knew what we were doing and could not stop it. If we successfully install a level of deception, the rest of the NFL is in trouble.
    9-8. 50% in one score games where the O had a chance (and our #30 D actually gave the O that chance).

Reality sucks.

Comment

• sonorajim
      Registered Charger Fan
      • Jan 2019
      • Send PM

Originally posted by blueman View Post

That’s what he’s battling, is he the most competent backup, or is it someone else.
      Tillery is a rotational / situational IDL pass rusher. His primary competition is Fox, Covington and Gaziano
      Bash, AJ - locks. Tito close to a lock. I think they keep Fox & Tillery, maybe one more. Tillery's length & speed are hard to give up on this year if looks like he's ready to fight for a contract.

Comment

• Formula 21
        The Future is Now
        • Jun 2013
        • Republic of San Diego
        • Send PM

[QUOTE=sonorajim;n1356127]
        From PFF, not sure how to interpret it, but don’t like the results. I do feel the Bolts O doesn’t play up to its skill level. And we do see who is in the playoffs and who isn’t.

~~~
        I assume that you are referring to 2021 when we were the NFL's 4th most successful offense in Staley / Lombardi's 1st year with the Chargers.
        Allegedly, 2022, yr 2 will be foot ball 202 in this offense. There may have been some dumbing down but if so the '21 results were an incredible display of skill when everyone knew what we were doing and could not stop it. If we successfully install a level of deception, the rest of the NFL is in trouble.
        There’s also the old question of is it the scheme or is it the execution. Either way, I’m hoping to see better O this year which more fully uses Herbie’s skills.
        Now, if you excuse me, I have some Charger memories to suppress.
        The Wasted Decade is done.
        Build Back Better.

Comment

• sonorajim
          Registered Charger Fan
          • Jan 2019
          • Send PM

[QUOTE=Formula 21;n1356139]
          Originally posted by sonorajim View Post

There’s also the old question of is it the scheme or is it the execution. Either way, I’m hoping to see better O this year which more fully uses Herbie’s skills.
          I'd love to see this also. Our #4 offense and #3 QB https://www.nfl.com/news/nfl-qb-inde...eason-rankings from last year have room to grow.
          Year 2 in this O with an improved OL, RB2 , Defense & Special Teams, and we can be sure they will be better, just how much?- will add an additional comfort level.

Comment

• 21&500
            Bolt Spit-Baller
            • Sep 2018
            • A Whale's Vajayjay
            • CMB refugee
            • Send PM

High praise
            I'll take it.
            Chargers vs. Everyone

Comment

• Topcat
              AKA "Pollcat"
              • Jan 2019
              • Send PM

Distance from the origin (0,0) — at least as it pertains to the first two principal components — is a measure of the scheme’s uniqueness. There is actually a more robust way to measure scheme uniqueness, which is to take each of the principal components, multiply them by the amount of variance they contribute and add them up. If this is done, these are the offensive play-callers in 2021 in order of uniqueness, which actually can be shown to contribute to betting prices on a weekly basis:
              Rank Name Team
              1 Kyle Shanahan SF
              2 Kliff Kingsbury ARZ
              3 Sean McVay LA
              4 Andy Reid KC
              5 Arthur Smith ATL
              For completeness, here are the offensive coordinators with the least unique schemes:
              Rank Name Team
              28 Tim Kelly HOU
              29 Anthony Lynn DET
              30 Kellen Moore DAL
              31 Joe Brady CAR
              32 Joe Lombardi LAC
              So, Lynn ranked higher than Lombo? Ouch...this DOES confirm what I said several times last season, that Lombo's playcalling was kind of predictable...

Comment

• Boltjolt
                Dont let the PBs fool ya
                • Jun 2013
                • Henderson, NV
                • Send PM

Originally posted by Topcat View Post

So, Lynn ranked higher than Lombo? Ouch...this DOES confirm what I said several times last season, that Lombo's playcalling was kind of predictable...
                Pfft. WTF does PFF know about unique offenses?
                Lynn got his play calling duties taken away midway thru the season then got fired after the season.

All those top 4 guys have been with their same teams for years. The Falcons were awful lol.
                Lombardi's first season we were 5th on offense. Still going to get better.

PFF are a bunch of goons.

Comment

• Ghost of Quacksaw
                  Beef Before Gazelles
                  • May 2021
                  • Send PM

Originally posted by Boltjolt View Post

PFF are a bunch of goons.

Goons? No. Troglodytes, perhaps.

With any effort at all, this forum can debate which of us is right-er, right up until training camp starts.

Comment

• dmac_bolt
                    Day Tripper
                    • May 2019
                    • North of the Lagoon
                    • Send PM

Originally posted by Ghost of Quacksaw View Post

Very interesting. Thanks for posting.

It's reasonable to think that *some* of the Chargers' offensive "lack of uniqueness" stems from the fact that 2021 was a first year pairing of Lombardi-- and his scheme-- with Herbert.

We've all read Herb's comments about how at this time last year, he felt like he was 'drowning' as he attempted to absorb the playbook.

Now? Herb's saying it's a different story now, that getting everyone lined up correctly is automatic now, and that he can much more easily focus on *executing* the play. Add improved protection from his O-line, a better blocking primary TE than he had last year, and... How could this *not* allow Lombardi to be more creative in his play calling?!? And it's not as if Lombardi has been accused of underutilizing the offensive weaponry he had at his disposal in New Orleans, right?

So I expect an uptick in this area, anyway, just on the basis of familiarity and competence.

Allow me to advance a bullet point of philosophy for the Chargers' offense, moving forward with Herb as QB.

* Each week-- unless there are specific, justifiable reasons NOT to-- make it part of each week's offensive game plan to scheme TWO running plays for Herb.

Why? Because schemed, this is a small enough number to be executed without risk to Herb's health. And when the defense KNOWS that Herb's going to end up taking off with the ball a couple of times, they HAVE TO relax their coverage on other guys MOST of the time. They know it'll happen, they just don't know when. It forces them to make coverage allowances for that possibility.
                    PFF’s creation of a model which concludes the 4th best offense is actually #32 is a triumph of Math over Physics. Its not worthy of elaboration.
                    “Less is more? NO NO NO - MORE is MORE!”

Comment

• Ghost of Quacksaw
                      Beef Before Gazelles
                      • May 2021
                      • Send PM

Originally posted by dmac_bolt View Post

PFF’s creation of a model which concludes the 4th best offense is actually #32 is a triumph of Math over Physics. Its not worthy of elaboration.
                      I was hoping you'd weigh in on the goon/troglodyte debate. It's a more worthy topic than PFF.

"Troglodyte?!? Or Goon?!? Eyyyyyyyyyyyyyeee wanna hear from EWE, Poway! Light up those lines, Point Loma!"

Comment

• FoutsFan
                        Registered Charger Fan
                        • Feb 2019
                        • Birmingham AL
                        • Send PM

Originally posted by Ghost of Quacksaw View Post

I was hoping you'd weigh in on the goon/troglodyte debate. It's a more worthy topic than PFF.

"Troglodyte?!? Or Goon?!? Eyyyyyyyyyyyyyeee wanna hear from EWE, Poway! Light up those lines, Point Loma!"
                        Would that be Alice the Goon?

252016_1460017_1000.jpg

Comment

• Ghost of Quacksaw
                          Beef Before Gazelles
                          • May 2021
                          • Send PM

Originally posted by FoutsFan View Post

Would that be Alice the Goon?

252016_1460017_1000.jpg
                          Why, yes. It WOULD be!

Comment