• Show
Clear All
  • sonorajim
    Registered Charger Fan
    • Jan 2019
    • Send PM

Originally posted by blueman View Post

Now’s his chance, bring it!
    Agree. Ir's early but he looks good so far.

Comment

• Formula 21
      The Future is Now
      • Jun 2013
      • Republic of San Diego
      • Send PM

Chargers Official Site | Los Angeles Chargers - chargers.com

Chargers WR Josh Palmer Tabbed as NFL's No. 1 Under-The-Radar Breakout Player

Aug 02, 2022 at 08:48 AM
      Omar Navarro

Seasonal Content Assistant
      Every NFL season, a young and unknown player seemingly arises from nowhere and earns notoriety around the league. While it may be a difficult thing to predict, some players who are in great situations might come onto the scene sooner than others.

Football Outsider's Rivers McCown complied his list on ESPN.com of the under-the-radar young players who could break out. Among the criteria was the player had to be under the age of 26 as of Sept. 1, drafted in the third round or later and entered the NFL between 2019 and 2021.

Bolts wide receiver Josh Palmer, the 77th pick in the 2021 NFL Draft, was McCown's No. 1 prospect on his list. Despite not having big numbers coming out of college, the third-round receiver showed some flashes as a rookie in limited playing time.

He wrote:

…By the end of the season Palmer began getting starts. He had three touchdowns in the last five weeks of Los Angeles' season as Keenan Allen and Austin Ekeler missed some time. Palmer wasn't physically dominating, but he had a knack for doing work at the catch point.

The young wide out started last season not getting much action on offense, but as McCown pointed out, his workload ramped up as injuries began to occur. Palmer's best game came in Allen's absence, as he hauled in five receptions for 66 yards and a touchdown in Week 14. Although he only logged 458 offensive snaps last season, Year 2 could be a breakout year for him if he could establish himself as the next target after Allen and Mike Williams.

McCown wrote:

The extremely exciting part is that Palmer is dialed into one of the best offenses in the NFL…Palmer has also already earned his quarterback's confidence.

Early throughout training camp, Palmer has also impressed the coaching staff as he continues to improve. During the first week of training camp, Bolts Offensive Coordinator Joe Lombardi spoke about the wideout's growth.

Lombardi said:

"He's a guy that jumped out early to us. I think he keeps getting better and more confident," Lombardi said. "Especially your first year, as the offense gets installed, there's a volume aspect that can be overwhelming to a rookie. I think that part, he's through that hurdle, so that he can really just go out and play fast."

With more snaps and targets, Palmer could become a popular name around the NFL this season.
      Now, if you excuse me, I have some Charger memories to suppress.
      The Wasted Decade is done.
      Build Back Better.

Comment

• WindsorUK
        Registered Charger Fan
        • Jul 2013
        • Windsor, U.K.
        • Send PM

Originally posted by Ghost of Quacksaw View Post

Fehoko could beat Covington for a roster spot.
        Should have played ahead of him last year.
        Dmac is right, too......Fehoko is better than Covington.

Comment

• Velo
          Ride!
          • Aug 2019
          • Everywhere
          • Leave the gun, take the cannolis
          • Send PM

My biggest question about the roster going into this season is the interior DL and the run defense in general. Are Sebastian Joseph-Day and Austin Johnson really an upgrade over Linval Joseph and Justin Jones, or did the simply move on from one pair of just guys and replace them with another pair of just guys? I'd never heard of Joseph-Day nor Johnson before they became Chargers, are they really an upgrade? The LB corps wasn't upgraded, and will be minus perhaps its best player from last season (White). Unless you view Troy Reeder as an upgrade. Mack is an upgrade at the edge in defending the run game. He has always defended the run well. My concern remains the middle of the front 7 with the interior DL and inside LBs.

Comment

• Bearded14YourPleasure
            Fluent in Sarcasm
            • Jun 2013
            • Iowa
            • Man of the People
            • Send PM

Originally posted by Velo View Post
            My biggest question about the roster going into this season is the interior DL and the run defense in general. Are Sebastian Joseph-Day and Austin Johnson really an upgrade over Linval Joseph and Justin Jones, or did the simply move on from one pair of just guys and replace them with another pair of just guys? I'd never heard of Joseph-Day nor Johnson before they became Chargers, are they really an upgrade? The LB corps wasn't upgraded, and will be minus perhaps its best player from last season (White). Unless you view Troy Reeder as an upgrade. Mack is an upgrade at the edge in defending the run game. He has always defended the run well. My concern remains the middle of the front 7 with the interior DL and inside LBs.
            Austin Johnson led the NFL in run stops last year. SJD has been a top run defender on a per-play basis the last few years and if I remember right he was #1 in run stop percentage in the NFL before he got hurt last year. Fehoko was actually #1 in run stop rate by the end of the season but on only 65 run snaps. They are also both guys in prime years as opposed to an over-the-hill Linval or the continual untapped potential of Justin Jones. So… yes I do think those 2, plus Mack who is consistently rated as one of the best run stopping EDGE defenders, will be a drastic improvement to
            our run D. I am worried about LB play but I think we see a lot more Derwin in the box so I think that will help that second level run defense.

Comment

• Maniaque 6
              French Speaking Charger Fan
              • Jan 2019
              • Québec city
              • Send PM

Is there someone who think the Chargers didn't upgraded their defense this year ?

Comment

• 21&500
                Bolt Spit-Baller
                • Sep 2018
                • A Whale's Vajayjay
                • CMB refugee
                • Send PM

Originally posted by Maniaque 6 View Post
                Is there someone who think the Chargers didn't upgraded their defense this year ?
                Justin Jones, Uchenna Nwosu and Kyzire White.
                Chargers vs. Everyone

Comment

• 21&500
                  Bolt Spit-Baller
                  • Sep 2018
                  • A Whale's Vajayjay
                  • CMB refugee
                  • Send PM

download.jpeg
                  Chargers vs. Everyone

Comment

• Heatmiser
                    BetterToday ThanYesterday
                    • Jun 2013
                    • Send PM

Originally posted by Bearded14YourPleasure View Post

Austin Johnson led the NFL in run stops last year. SJD has been a top run defender on a per-play basis the last few years and if I remember right he was #1 in run stop percentage in the NFL before he got hurt last year. Fehoko was actually #1 in run stop rate by the end of the season but on only 65 run snaps. They are also both guys in prime years as opposed to an over-the-hill Linval or the continual untapped potential of Justin Jones. So… yes I do think those 2, plus Mack who is consistently rated as one of the best run stopping EDGE defenders, will be a drastic improvement to
                    our run D. I am worried about LB play but I think we see a lot more Derwin in the box so I think that will help that second level run defense.
                    I think the saving grace is that LB are pretty undervalued in the light box defense that Staley runs. At least the way he runs it. Safeties are far more important. Rams had the number one defense under Staley, including high run ranking, with below average LB. (One of them is on our team now!)

TG
                    Like, how am I a traitor? Your team are traitors.

Comment

• Topcat
                      AKA "Pollcat"
                      • Jan 2019
                      • Send PM

Originally posted by Bearded14YourPleasure View Post

Sign Roquan...

Comment

• Steve
                        Administrator
                        • Jun 2013
                        • South Carolina
                        • Meteorologist
                        • Send PM

If I was the Chargers, I would ask about Rouquan Smith, but a lot will depend on how much he wants. If you consider him a top LB, then he is almost certainly going to get something around $20 million per season (Shaquille (Darius) Leonard) got $20 million. Some teams don't believe in spending that kind of money on ILB.

Some people feel he is kinda a liability in run D (Pff grade was 30.0 last year). He reminds me of Donnie Edwards, being a sideline-to-sideline type of guy, but often gets knocked off his track, so he is not always in a position to stuff they run.

While he is a very effective to pass rusher, he isn't used that way often (most ILBs aren't). ILB pressure often loses its effectiveness if it is used too much since it becomes predictable. And Smith is a good coverage player, although most S is better coverage than even the best LB.

We also don't necessarily have an unlimited amount of cap space. Yeah, you can make the numbers work out, but there is a limit to how much and how long you can.

Comment

• FoutsFan
                          Registered Charger Fan
                          • Feb 2019
                          • Birmingham AL
                          • Send PM

Originally posted by Formula 21 View Post
                          Chargers Official Site | Los Angeles Chargers - chargers.com

Chargers WR Josh Palmer Tabbed as NFL's No. 1 Under-The-Radar Breakout Player

Aug 02, 2022 at 08:48 AM
                          Omar Navarro

Seasonal Content Assistant
                          Every NFL season, a young and unknown player seemingly arises from nowhere and earns notoriety around the league. While it may be a difficult thing to predict, some players who are in great situations might come onto the scene sooner than others.

Football Outsider's Rivers McCown complied his list on ESPN.com of the under-the-radar young players who could break out. Among the criteria was the player had to be under the age of 26 as of Sept. 1, drafted in the third round or later and entered the NFL between 2019 and 2021.

Bolts wide receiver Josh Palmer, the 77th pick in the 2021 NFL Draft, was McCown's No. 1 prospect on his list. Despite not having big numbers coming out of college, the third-round receiver showed some flashes as a rookie in limited playing time.

He wrote:

…By the end of the season Palmer began getting starts. He had three touchdowns in the last five weeks of Los Angeles' season as Keenan Allen and Austin Ekeler missed some time. Palmer wasn't physically dominating, but he had a knack for doing work at the catch point.

The young wide out started last season not getting much action on offense, but as McCown pointed out, his workload ramped up as injuries began to occur. Palmer's best game came in Allen's absence, as he hauled in five receptions for 66 yards and a touchdown in Week 14. Although he only logged 458 offensive snaps last season, Year 2 could be a breakout year for him if he could establish himself as the next target after Allen and Mike Williams.

McCown wrote:

The extremely exciting part is that Palmer is dialed into one of the best offenses in the NFL…Palmer has also already earned his quarterback's confidence.

Early throughout training camp, Palmer has also impressed the coaching staff as he continues to improve. During the first week of training camp, Bolts Offensive Coordinator Joe Lombardi spoke about the wideout's growth.

Lombardi said:

"He's a guy that jumped out early to us. I think he keeps getting better and more confident," Lombardi said. "Especially your first year, as the offense gets installed, there's a volume aspect that can be overwhelming to a rookie. I think that part, he's through that hurdle, so that he can really just go out and play fast."

With more snaps and targets, Palmer could become a popular name around the NFL this season.
                          Chaincrusher is going to be pissed now.

Comment

Working...
                          X