Clear All
  • QSmokey
    Guardedly Optimistic
    • Jun 2013
    • Kuna, Idaho
    • Retired
    • Send PM

Originally posted by blueman View Post

But we’re always just another squad. Smokey’s are us legit.
    I think you left out a word or two.

Comment

• Boltjolt
      Dont let the PBs fool ya
      • Jun 2013
      • Henderson, NV
      • Send PM

Originally posted by QSmokey View Post

And heaven help us if we criticize the team for underperforming. For months, just about every post has been about all the 'sick talent' on this team. How we have a top 5 offense; how our defense is gonna be dominate.

Then we play the first 6 games - lucky to have even 2 wins, IMO - and some people are focusing only on the (few) positives, ignoring all the warning signs.

I will agree with one thing you said: Gotta love forums (full of closed-minded homers). No room for anything but feel good, rainbows and unicorns posts. No criticisms allowed.
      A lot of the sick talent is injured and we are still winning. We all knew the depth wasnt that great but we are still winning so imo thats a good thing.

Comment

• QSmokey
        Guardedly Optimistic
        • Jun 2013
        • Kuna, Idaho
        • Retired
        • Send PM

Originally posted by Boltjolt View Post

A lot of the sick talent is injured and we are still winning. We all knew the depth wasn't that great but we are still winning so imo that's a good thing.
        I suppose. But a lot of teams - all teams - have injured players. Denver was missing their top RB; and it was even reported that Wilson was nursing an injury. So I view injuries as just part of the game; every team has to deal with it. You can make up for that, to some extent, with great coaching - something we have not exhibited, IMO. So my confidence in this team's ability to win games is not high, in part because of the injuries, but in larger part because of the coaching.

But I also don't like using injuries as an excuse. To me, it's akin to complaining about the officiating. And I think that stuff tends to even out over the course of a long season. The exception, of course, is a season-ending injury to Herbie. But a season-ending injury to Mahomes, or Allen, or Rogers or even, as we saw last year, Jackson would have the same effect on their respective teams.

We've been winning games like the Keystone Cops: Stumbling and bumbling our way to victory instead of taking it to the other team and actually notching a convincing win.

Comment

• Boltjolt
          Dont let the PBs fool ya
          • Jun 2013
          • Henderson, NV
          • Send PM

Originally posted by QSmokey View Post

I suppose. But a lot of teams - all teams - have injured players. Denver was missing their top RB; and it was even reported that Wilson was nursing an injury. So I view injuries as just part of the game; every team has to deal with it. You can make up for that, to some extent, with great coaching - something we have not exhibited, IMO. So my confidence in this team's ability to win games is not high, in part because of the injuries, but in larger part because of the coaching.

But I also don't like using injuries as an excuse. To me, it's akin to complaining about the officiating. And I think that stuff tends to even out over the course of a long season. The exception, of course, is a season-ending injury to Herbie. But a season-ending injury to Mahomes, or Allen, or Rogers or even, as we saw last year, Jackson would have the same effect on their respective teams.
          Id agree but they were missing a RB and our QB is hurting as well. We are missing 5 All Pros and pro bowlers. Thank goodness Salyer is playing well because our OL depth was crap in preseason.

Who saw Jaimes as a OC? I didnt see that coming but he played OC against Denver.
          Last edited by Boltjolt; 10-22-2022, 05:34 PM.

Comment

• Boltnut
            Registered Charger Fan
            • Feb 2019
            • Send PM

Criticism is fine... when it's warranted.
            Injuries are not an excuse... it's a reality.
            What other team is 4-2 with an All-Pro WR, an All-Pro EDGE, and an All-Pro center out for half the season...?

If you're looking for legitimate criticism... it's there.
            The LB's need to play their assignments better.
            Adderly needs to take better angles and tackle better.
            Rumph needs to show his pre-season promise in real games.
            Sony Michel needs to see the field less once Spiller and Kelley are healthy.
            JC Jackson needs to get his shit together.

But pepper that with true accolades when warranted (aka rainbows and unicorns)...
            Jamaree Salyer is a legimate starter next year... whether @RT or LG.
            The special teams are the best we've had in many years.
            When Linsley is starting, our run blocking is one of the best in the league.
            We've had more 3rd down attempts than any team in the league. Sustaining drives and controlling the T.O.P. gives your defense a better chance.

When KA and JB are back... we can beat any team in the league.

Comment

• Riverwalk
              Registered Charger Fan
              • Nov 2021
              • Send PM

Originally posted by Boltnut View Post

When KA and JB are back... we can beat any team in the league.
              Reality check!

When KA and JB are back, some other starters will be injured. That’s the NFL.

Preseason was an important reveal for the Chargers. Our backups got whupped by everybody they played.

It’s like when Herbert got his rib cartilage smashed Staley wouldn’t turn the ball over to his backups even though he had no idea if the injury was life threatening.

Why do you have, not one, but two backup QB’s you have zero confidence in?? It’s insane.

This is true for many other positions too. There is too big a dropoff in talent from starters to backups.

You not only need quality backups to start in case of injury, you need them to spell your starters so they can stay fresh.

Thank God for Salyer but the rest of the OL backups are terrible. Same for most positions on the team.

Chargers are not built for a playoff run because 100% health is never going to happen. As the season progresses there will be more injuries, not less.

Comment

• TexanBeerlover
                Registered Charger Fan
                • Feb 2021
                • Send PM

Originally posted by Boltjolt View Post

Id agree but they were missing a RB and our QB is hurting as well. We are missing 5 All Pros and pro bowlers. Thank goodness Salyer is playing well because our OL depth was casp in preseason.

Who saw Jaimes as a OC? I didnt see that coming but he played OC against Denver.
                Jaimes played one series and got blown up

Comment

• sonorajim
                  Registered Charger Fan
                  • Jan 2019
                  • Send PM

I like where we're at. 4-2, soon to be 5-2 and a week off.
                  Very few teams are doing better (4). 26 NFL teams are not doing as well
                  We're in a decent position for the playoffs @ 1/3 mark.
                  Lots if work to do and time to do it.

Comment

• Riverwalk
                    Registered Charger Fan
                    • Nov 2021
                    • Send PM

Originally posted by TexanBeerlover View Post

Telesco has to stop drafting “projects” and draft contributors.

Take Salyer as an example. He played LT and guard at GA against the best defensive talent in the country and proved himself.

His “ceiling” was questioned by draft pros, but not his ability to compete from day one.

1 and 2 rounders should be starter material but 3, 4, 5, 6….Telesco should be getting guys that can be quality backups…not pro bowl because their ceiling is limited but their floor is good enough to replace your pro bowlers in case of injury.

Telesco seems to get too many “projects” that can’t play in the NFL right away but have some sexy “attributes” that may or may not be “developed”.

Comment

• sonorajim
                      Registered Charger Fan
                      • Jan 2019
                      • Send PM

Originally posted by TexanBeerlover View Post

To be expected. New position, little or no practice, 1st NFL game vs league top 5 D.
                      At least he didn't make a bad snap turnover.

Comment

• chargeroo
                        Fan since 1961
                        • Jan 2019
                        • Oregon
                        • Retired Manager/Pastor
                        • Send PM

Originally posted by Riverwalk View Post

Telesco has to stop drafting “projects” and draft contributors.

Take Salyer as an example. He played LT and guard at GA against the best defensive talent in the country and proved himself.

His “ceiling” was questioned by draft pros, but not his ability to compete from day one.

1 and 2 rounders should be starter material but 3, 4, 5, 6….Telesco should be getting guys that can be quality backups…not pro bowl because their ceiling is limited but their floor is good enough to replace your pro bowlers in case of injury.

Telesco seems to get too many “projects” that can’t play in the NFL right away but have some sexy “attributes” that may or may not be “developed”.starting CB
                        This years draft netted a starting Guard and one of the best edges in the league. The previous year we signed a pro-bowl LT and starting CB and f course, he drafted Herbert for us. That's pretty good drafting if you ask me.
                        THE YEAR OF THE FLIP!

Comment

• Boltnut
                          Registered Charger Fan
                          • Feb 2019
                          • Send PM

Originally posted by Riverwalk View Post

Reality check!

When KA and JB are back, some other starters will be injured. That’s the NFL.

Chargers are not built for a playoff run because 100% health is never going to happen. As the season progresses there will be more injuries, not less.
                          Reality Check 2.0

KA and JB aren't just "some other starters"... and I'll add Corey Linsley/Rashawn Slater to that list. They are elite at their positions.
                          Show me 1 other 4-2 team that has 4 of their 6 best starters out for a majority of the season.

No team will make it through the playoffs without their 2nd best offensive player (KA) and their 2nd best defensive player (Bosa).
                          Take Kelce and Frank Clark off the field
                          Take Stephon Diggs and Greg Rousseau off the field
                          Take AJ Brown and Brandon Graham off
                          Dexter Lawrence and Andrew Thomas...
                          Justin Jefferson and Danielle Hunter...

It's crazy not to recognize the reality of our current injury situation.
                          I'd rather have these guys hurt at the beginning of season than come playoff time... see the Chiefs shellacking in the SB.

Comment

Working...
                          X