• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Bolt4Knob
    Registered Charger Fan
    • Dec 2019
    • Send PM

Originally posted by equivocation View Post
    FT provides protection while working on a long term deal.
    But Williams has the leverage because he knows he is getting paid 19m for one year; which means 35+ for two years. When last year if they signed him to a long term deal - his guarantee probably would have been 4/60 with 30m up front.

And unless Popper is saying they will have cap flexibility next year because he is not on the books - I still don't get that/. Next year, Williams can still have a decent cap hit but in two years, Keenan Allen might be released or his contract reduced

Either you want him long term or you dont And franchising him to me is not good business model. Mike Williams is fine - he gets 35m guaranteed and next year can sign another contract for probably 35m guaranteed.

Comment

• dmac_bolt
      Day Tripper
      • May 2019
      • North of the Lagoon
      • Send PM

Originally posted by Bolt4Knob View Post

But Williams has the leverage because he knows he is getting paid 19m for one year; which means 35+ for two years. When last year if they signed him to a long term deal - his guarantee probably would have been 4/60 with 30m up front.

And unless Popper is saying they will have cap flexibility next year because he is not on the books - I still don't get that/. Next year, Williams can still have a decent cap hit but in two years, Keenan Allen might be released or his contract reduced

Either you want him long term or you dont And franchising him to me is not good business model. Mike Williams is fine - he gets 35m guaranteed and next year can sign another contract for probably 35m guaranteed.
      Players who are anticipating a 4/70 or 4/80 contract that will be >50% guaranteed don’t want a 1 yr tag because every snap has a risk its the last. Sure they get 19, but they could have a $40M+ guarantee no matter what happens forever. This is the leverage.
      “Less is more? NO NO NO - MORE is MORE!”

Comment

• Bolt4Knob
        Registered Charger Fan
        • Dec 2019
        • Send PM

Originally posted by dmac_bolt View Post

Players who are anticipating a 4/70 or 4/80 contract that will be >50% guaranteed don’t want a 1 yr tag because every snap has a risk its the last. Sure they get 19, but they could have a $40M+ guarantee no matter what happens forever. This is the leverage.
        That last part is true. I think it benefits both parties to get a long term deal done. And I don't care what the AAV is - thats funny math. Just make the cap numbers work.

I just updated my spreadsheet for the Chargers -- I hatve the Chargers with about $14.5m of cap space for free agency as that is after:

allocating for 7 Rookies, the Practice Squad, the In Season Slush Fund and as you can see, cap numbers for the below players - basically place holders .

I am not sure what the dollars for say Guyton and Parham will be. Now, does this mean the Chargers can sign Davante Adams - maybe if they don't sign Williams. But, it does show that if you can get MW signed to a deal that is 7m of cap space - which is one VERY good player or two GOOD players.
        Current OTC (46 players) 56,298,356 (705,000) (36,650,000)
        Release Bulaga (11,000,000) Player Allocation Less Minimum Net to Cap
        Net Post Bulaga 67,298,356 Williams Mike (12,000,000) (705,000) (11,295,000)
        Practice Squad (3,500,000) Kyzir White (7,000,000) (705,000) (6,295,000)
        In Season Fund (4,500,000) Nwosu (6,000,000) (705,000) (5,295,000)
        59,298,356 Jones, Justin (5,000,000) (705,000) (4,295,000)
        Rookie - Top 7 (8,159,728) Aboushi (2,500,000) (705,000) (1,795,000)
        Top 53 w/ Rookies 51,138,628 Guyton (2,500,000) (705,000) (1,795,000)
        Free Agency (36,650,000) Parham (2,500,000) (705,000) (1,795,000)
        Chase Daniels (1,500,000) (705,000) (795,000)
        SPACE LEFT 14,488,628 Norton (1,500,000) (705,000) (795,000)
        Roberts Andre (1,500,000) (705,000) (795,000)
        Hopkins (1,500,000) (705,000) (795,000)
        Overton (1,020,000) (705,000) (315,000)
        Anderson (1,020,000) (705,000) (315,000)
        Quessenberry (980,000) (705,000) (275,000)
        Cook -
        Harris -
        Joseph -
        Covington -

Comment

• Velo
          Ride!
          • Aug 2019
          • Everywhere
          • Leave the gun, take the cannolis
          • Send PM

I'm reading again the Chargers might be players for Davante Adams. I have very mixed feelings about it. Sure it would be great to have a top 2-3 WR on the roster to pair with Herbert. But I question whether it is necessary. I could see it if there was a giant roster hole at WR that needed to be filled. But , with Mike Williams, the Chargers already have one of the deepest WR corps in the league. Herbert led the AFC in all the important QB stats; the offense does not need an upgrade.

Mike Williams is going to cost much less than Adams, and the money saved can/should go to upgrading other more glaring roster holes, IMO. If Telesco/Baby Spanos really are considering Adams, then they shouldn't have any qualms about paying Mike Williams what he's worth. Williams produced about 1150 yds receiving in comparison to Adams' 1550. Their TDs were close in number MW scored 9, DA 11.

The Packers don't have a receiver that compliments Adams like Keenan Allen compliments MW. The Chargers' roster is blessed with a plethora of receiving targets, including the RB who led the league in scoring. Keenan and Mike were the top WR duo in the league in 2021, both were roughly in the top 10 in receiving yards. The Packers don't have this, so for them and A Rodgers, Adams plays a larger role. I'm concerned Adams might be underutilized with the Chargers, because there are so many capable receivers and only so many throws to go around.

If the Chargers were to sign Adams to $25 per year deal, but he only puts up numbers similar to Mike Williams because Herbert can't get him the ball enough, then that talent and money is wasted. I think I'd rather bring back Mike Williams, who is a few years younger btw, on a deal that also allows Telesco to sign a FA TE like Dalton Schultz. The Chargers deep receiving roster puts them in a position of not having to rely too much on one guy. If you get in a position where you are paying one player a mega contract and you lose that guy for any significant time, if he gets injured or suspended for whatever reason, it doesn't gut your offense. The Chargers are in a good place right now with their WRs (with MW)/RBs/TEs. They don't need to sink a bunch of money into one contract.

Correction
          Last edited by Velo; 03-01-2022, 03:22 PM.

Comment

• Boltjolt
            Dont let the PBs fool ya
            • Jun 2013
            • Henderson, NV
            • Send PM

Originally posted by Velo View Post
            I'm reading again the Chargers might be players for Davante Adams. I have very mixed feelings about it. Sure it would be great to have a top 2-3 WR on the roster to pair with Herbert. But I question whether it is necessary. I could see it if there was a giant roster hole at WR that needed to be filled. But , with Mike Williams, the Chargers already have one of the deepest WR corps in the league. Herbert led the AFC in all the important QB stats; the offense does not need an upgrade.

Mike Williams is going to cost much less than Adams, and the money saved can/should go to upgrading other more glaring roster holes, IMO. If Telesco/Baby Spanos really are considering Adams, then they shouldn't have any qualms about paying Mike Williams what he's worth. Williams produced about 1150 yds receiving in comparison to Adams' 1550. Their TDs were close in number MW scored 9, DA 11.

The Packers don't have a receiver that compliments Adams like Keenan Allen compliments MW. The Chargers' roster is blessed with a plethora of receiving targets, including the RB who led the league in scoring. Keenan and Mike were the top WR duo in the league in 2021, both were roughly in the top 10 in receiving yards. The Packers don't have this, so for them and A Rodgers, Adams plays a larger role. I'm concerned Adams might be underutilized with the Chargers, because there are so many capable receivers and only so many throws to go around.

If the Chargers were to sign Adams to $28 per year deal, but he only puts up numbers similar to Mike Williams because Herbert can't get him the ball enough, then that talent and money is wasted. I think I'd rather bring back Mike Williams, who is a few years younger btw, on a deal that also allows Telesco to sign a FA TE like Dalton Schultz. The Chargers deep receiving roster puts them in a position of not having to rely too much on one guy. If you get in a position where you are paying one player a mega contract and you lose that guy for any significant time, if he gets injured or suspended for whatever reason, it doesn't gut your offense. The Chargers are in a good place right now with their WRs (with MW)/RBs/TEs. They don't need to sink a bunch of money into one contract.
            28 Mil for Adams? I'd say no chance we sign him

Comment

• Velo
              Ride!
              • Aug 2019
              • Everywhere
              • Send PM

Originally posted by Boltjolt View Post

28 Mil for Adams? I'd say no chance we sign him
              No, I meant $25 mil. I read it here: https://www.pff.com/news/nfl-2022-fr...gs-free-agency

Comment

• Boltjolt
                Dont let the PBs fool ya
                • Jun 2013
                • Henderson, NV
                • Send PM

28,...25 Still I'd say no way.

Comment

• Bolt4Knob
                  Registered Charger Fan
                  • Dec 2019
                  • Send PM

Originally posted by Velo View Post

No, I meant $25 mil. I read it here: https://www.pff.com/news/nfl-2022-fr...gs-free-agency
                  I went through the list - a lot of players that I thought made sense for the Chargers were in the lower half.

Comment

• Boltjolt
                    Dont let the PBs fool ya
                    • Jun 2013
                    • Henderson, NV
                    • Send PM

So what's Telesco saying today? I haven't seen his address but know he made one.

Comment

• Velo
                      Ride!
                      • Aug 2019
                      • Everywhere
                      • Send PM

28,...25 Still I'd say no way.
                      I agree. Who can afford to pay Adams $25 mil per year, Jax?

Comment

• Leslie Grossman
                        Registered Charger Fan
                        • Nov 2020
                        • Oklahoma
                        • Send PM

So what's Telesco saying today? I haven't seen his address but know he made one.
                        Same as every year, basic lip service. He was asked about RT and said it has to be upgraded to take the offense to the next level and could be done by someone on the roster, draft, or FA.

Comment

• Bolt4Knob
                          Registered Charger Fan
                          • Dec 2019
                          • Send PM

Originally posted by Leslie Grossman View Post

Same as every year, basic lip service. He was asked about RT and said it has to be upgraded to take the offense to the next level and could be done by someone on the roster, draft, or FA.
                          Wow going to upgrade RT the three ways it can be upgraded: draft, the current roster or FA. You don't say Tommy!

Also something like the status of Bulaga hasn't been decided but we still have time in the process. I am not sure very many people believe that one.

Comment

Working...
                          X