• Show
Clear All
  • dmac_bolt
    Day Tripper
    • May 2019
    • North of the Lagoon
    • Send PM

Originally posted by ChargersPowderBlue View Post

This is where Telesco gets a break. Lynn and Mccoy didn't know what they were doing. Which is why the team was mediocre or had losing seasons. This time TT has a HC who knows what he's doing and someone who has direction.

The defense was bad even before last year. Like the two years before that.
    Chargers have not been good enough at stopping opponents when it mattered for more than just last season. Agree. I don’t like the big pile of lower cost journeymen. That has been the TT method for 9 years. Stars make star plays. We have now what I’d call 3 stars on D, a couple good role players, and a remainder that should be upgraded. I think Adderley takes the next step to compliment Star #2 Derwin, so I leave S alone just to focus elsewhere. Mack is Star3 and amplifies Star 1 Joey but still need a star CB1 lockdown, and interior DL imo. Need to plug the middle rush and make teams one dimensional. Derwin can then wreak havoc and Staley gets lots of options to creatively attack.

2 additional stars - one FA one #17 - and this defense will kick ass. Get a competent RT and P and they will roll! LB upgrade would be a bonus.
    “Less is more? NO NO NO - MORE is MORE!”

Comment

• WindsorUK
      Registered Charger Fan
      • Jul 2013
      • Windsor, U.K.
      • Send PM

Can someone explain the dead cap stuff?
      I've got a hypothetical- Davis is on $9 million, with a dead cap hit of $4 million.
      Now, does that mean if we released him he would only count $4 million towards the cap, which would then give us $5 million back to spend?
      If that's the case, that free's up more money to offer, say, Ward, or Williams, after we give top dollar to Jackson?

Comment

• Bolt4Knob
        Registered Charger Fan
        • Dec 2019
        • Send PM

Originally posted by WindsorUK View Post
        Can someone explain the dead cap stuff?
        I've got a hypothetical- Davis is on $9 million, with a dead cap hit of $4 million.
        Now, does that mean if we released him he would only count $4 million towards the cap, which would then give us $5 million back to spend?
        If that's the case, that free's up more money to offer, say, Ward, or Williams, after we give top dollar to Jackson?
        YOu are exactly correct. But that would mean there are not one, but two CB slots open. It will be tough enough filling one spot

The Chargers have the cap space - plus they can re-work Bosa's deal (or Macks deal) to create more

Comment

• WindsorUK
          Registered Charger Fan
          • Jul 2013
          • Windsor, U.K.
          • Send PM

Thanks Bolt4Knob!
          I was just using MD as an example.
          Although, if you have a chance to upgrade that position......?????

Comment

• jamrock
            lawyers, guns and money
            • Sep 2017
            • Send PM

Originally posted by Boltjolt View Post

Maybe,....yes.
            I never saw Khalil Mack coming. I do think that even though we have Rumph with a season under his belt, we need another pass rusher in case Mack gets hurt and to rotate in for when/ if we move Bosa inside at times.

I'm not ready to name a first round target til we see what we do in FA'cy. I will say I don't think RT will be the best value at 17 so maybe we trade down some but that means we could lose out on Walker, Davis, McDuffie, Lloyd, or Dean.

Just don't see WR at 17 now.
            Focus was all on FA and not a trade so the Mack thing was very quiet. We need another Edge. And Dl. Bosa tends to get hurt and Mack missed last season

Comment

• chargeroo
              Fan since 1961
              • Jan 2019
              • Oregon
              • Retired Manager/Pastor
              • Send PM

Originally posted by Fleet 1 View Post
              Was i the only one who had a older vet stud Pass Rusher headed our way? I mean plenty hated the idea. lol

Ive been saying for a while now that we are in win now mode. And that this offseason will be filled with this sort of stuff for us.

You can expect a fairly exciting offseason.
              I didn't see the trade for Mack coming but now that they did that, I can hardly wait for Aaron Donald to join our team.
              THE YEAR OF THE FLIP!

Comment

• Fleet 1
                TPB Founder
                • Jun 2013
                • Kauai
                • Send PM

Originally posted by chargeroo View Post

I didn't see the trade for Mack coming but now that they did that, I can hardly wait for Aaron Donald to join our team.
                Haha i wish Roo. Maybe Joey is that special guy. lol You draft Rumph wanting him to be the next value Yannick type steal. You know what you are getting with Mack. And Bosa can play many rolls. 5T, DE and OLB. Maybe our best way to get pressure with 4 is by using Bosa in that Donald role.

Comment

• Bolt4Knob
                  Registered Charger Fan
                  • Dec 2019
                  • Send PM

Thanks Bolt4Knob!
                  YOu make a good point - if they can release Michael Davis, and still sign JC and another CB - I am good with it. I wonder if Davis has a trade market too. You never know

I am open for anything. When you have the defense the Chargers had last year - I am not beholden to anybody

Comment

• gzubeck
                    Ines Sainz = Jet Bait!
                    • Jan 2019
                    • Tucson, AZ
                    • Send PM

Have I missed something? Why release Davis? For me Chris Harris was the bigger pain in the arse and $9 mil is not busting the bank. So unless you get something in a trade I'd rather even have him as backup vs. even thinking about doing this.

:wtf:
                    Chiefs won the Superbowl with 10 Rookies....

"Locked, Cocked, and ready to Rock!" Jim Harbaugh

Comment

• Xenos
                      Registered Charger Fan
                      • Feb 2019
                      • Send PM

Thanks Bolt4Knob!
                      Given our CB depth got hit last year, I wouldn’t be so quick to give up on Davis.

Comment

• eaterfan
                        Registered Charger Fan
                        • Oct 2020
                        • Send PM

Originally posted by Xenos View Post
                        Given our CB depth got hit last year, I wouldn’t be so quick to give up on Davis.
                        Agreed!

Also, corner back play isn't especially stable. There are like 2-3 guys in the league who are awesome every year and then a bunch of guys have ranges. It's also very scheme dependent. It's why I would have a tough time paying top dollar for a corner in FA.

Comment

• Bolt4Knob
                          Registered Charger Fan
                          • Dec 2019
                          • Send PM

Originally posted by Xenos View Post
                          I'm not. More just answering the question about cap space

Comment

Working...
                          X