• Show
Clear All
  • AL9000
    Registered Charger Fan
    • Jan 2022
    • San Diego, CA
    • Send PM

Originally posted by chargeroo View Post
    Most of you are aware that I've been having a battle with lung cancer for the past six months. I had a procedure this week to find out why my breathing has slipped so bad. I'm sorry to report that the outlook is grim. The tumor is blocking the breathing tube to my right lung. All my breathing now is through the smaller left lung. There's nothing that can be done about it. The Oncologist tells me I have between 3 weeks and 3 months left. I was so looking forward to this year's off-season and a better team for next season. For the first time since 1961, I won't be watching the Chargers.

Happily, I am a born-again follower of Jesus so I know I'll be in heaven. When I get there, I'll be pain-free and breathing well with my new glorified body. I hate the thought of leaving my great wife and all of my loved ones but if God wants me in Heaven, I'm ready. I'm excited to see our Lord someday soon.

Jesus told us that he will prepare a place for us. I hope he builds me a place built out of one of my favorite woods! ") I'll be excited to see that place.

I guess it would be wrong to ask for a boat and a large screen TV that plays the Chargers game every week. I'll just trust in the Lord with all my heart.

I will continue to read in the forum and post for however long I'll be able to.

I'll miss the many Bolt brothers I've made over the years. I've known a few of you since the old days in the UT forum. Thanks to each of you for being a friend to me and thanks so much to Fleet who made this forum available to all of us.
    I never had the chance to get to know you, but I have to say I admire your outlook on your situation. There’s no doubt in my mind you will be taken care of in your next level. Bless you man.

Comment

• chargeroo
      Fan since 1961
      • Jan 2019
      • Oregon
      • Retired Manager/Pastor
      • Send PM

Originally posted by Riverwalk View Post

You look extremely healthy and fit. Thanks for sharing the photo.
      It's kind of strange but I do look healthy. I think I look better now than I did five years ago. Losing thirty pounds is no doubt one reason for that. The Oncologist tells me I'm down to 3 months or less now but you wouldn't know it to see me. (unless you saw me try to walk, I'm too darn weak for that). My hospice nurse was here today and said he can only tell how bad my health is by listening to my breathing with his stethoscope. I know I'm going to get a lot worse before I get to go to Heaven but for now, I'm doing okay. I feel bad for my wife, it's not easy to watch your loved one slowly fade away. If you are a believer, pray for her to have strength (Arlene).
      THE YEAR OF THE FLIP!

Comment

• sonorajim
        Registered Charger Fan
        • Jan 2019
        • Send PM

It's kind of strange but I do look healthy. I think I look better now than I did five years ago. Losing thirty pounds is no doubt one reason for that. The Oncologist tells me I'm down to 3 months or less now but you wouldn't know it to see me. (unless you saw me try to walk, I'm too darn weak for that). My hospice nurse was here today and said he can only tell how bad my health is by listening to my breathing with his stethoscope. I know I'm going to get a lot worse before I get to go to Heaven but for now, I'm doing okay. I feel bad for my wife, it's not easy to watch your loved one slowly fade away. If you are a believer, pray for her to have strength (Arlene).
        You have been a treasured Forum friend and will be missed more than you know. Thanks for sharing your journey with us. Best wishes. Prayers for Arlene.

Comment

• MakoShark
          Disgruntled
          • Jun 2013
          • North Alabama
          • Send PM

Haven't been much of a poster since the move, but I happen to drop in today. Tough read. Arlene will be in my thoughts. I have been in her shoes, but fortunately, my situation has had a happy ending so far.

Gods speed Roo.
          sigpic

Comment

• Craig440
            Registered Charger Fan
            • Apr 2019
            • Send PM

Chargeroo. I am relatively new here and haven't posted much. I wish I would have met you earlier as I have been watching the Chargers since 1961 also. Your posts are good.

Comment

• chargeroo
              Fan since 1961
              • Jan 2019
              • Oregon
              • Retired Manager/Pastor
              • Send PM

Originally posted by Craig440 View Post
              Chargeroo. I am relatively new here and haven't posted much. I wish I would have met you earlier as I have been watching the Chargers since 1961 also. Your posts are good.
              Since 1961, huh? You can take over as the Chargers historian in here. The gang appreciates some first-hand memories of the early teams.
              THE YEAR OF THE FLIP!

Comment

• Craig440
                Registered Charger Fan
                • Apr 2019
                • Send PM

Since 1961, huh? You can take over as the Chargers historian in here. The gang appreciates some first-hand memories of the early teams.
                Okay will do. I have a huge history with the players. My neighbor when I was 7 was Ron Nery number 80 Defensive end. He took me to practices and I became friends with Ernie Ladd after he stood on my foot and ate my hot dog after a practice. Made me cry and he felt bad.

My mom sold most of them houses when they moved here and I watched lots of games with the wives at their houses.

Later I started a pool service business and serviced a lot of their pools. Built a few spas and solar. Pat Curran and I were friends after I built him a spa and solar. Took me to his resturant/bar at the golf course on Navaho Drive. Had dinner with Fouts, Ed White, Lindon King, and Pat. Got drunk and told King he was a great linebacker but didn't have that nasty instinct like Jack Lambert. He agreed and got two personal fouls the next week. Maybe it was three.

Still friends with Lance Alworth, Don Rodgers (center), and a few others to this day.

I have lots of stories of Walt Sweeny and Fred Dean who was my cousins good friend.

P.S. I still have an unused ticket to the Charger football club vs the Denver Broncos football club. Its for 1963. Price $2.75. I used my ticket don't remember how I ended up with an unused one. I also have my cushion for Balboa Stadium. It has a blanket inside. It's orange.

Comment

• Boltjolt
                  Dont let the PBs fool ya
                  • Jun 2013
                  • Henderson, NV
                  • Send PM

Okay will do. I have a huge history with the players. My neighbor when I was 7 was Ron Nery number 80 Defensive end. He took me to practices and I became friends with Ernie Ladd after he stood on my foot and ate my hot dog after a practice. Made me cry and he felt bad.

My mom sold most of them houses when they moved here and I watched lots of games with the wives at their houses.

Later I started a pool service business and serviced a lot of their pools. Built a few spas and solar. Pat Curran and I were friends after I built him a spa and solar. Took me to his resturant/bar at the golf course on Navaho Drive. Had dinner with Fouts, Ed White, Lindon King, and Pat. Got drunk and told King he was a great linebacker but didn't have that nasty instinct like Jack Lambert. He agreed and got two personal fouls the next week. Maybe it was three.

Still friends with Lance Alworth, Don Rodgers (center), and a few others to this day.

I have lots of stories of Walt Sweeny and Fred Dean who was my cousins good friend.

P.S. I still have an unused ticket to the Charger football club vs the Denver Broncos football club. Its for 1963. Price $2.75. I used my ticket don't remember how I ended up with an unused one. I also have my cushion for Balboa Stadium. It has a blanket inside. It's orange.
                  That's great stuff.
                  ​​​​​​

Comment

• Craig440
                    Registered Charger Fan
                    • Apr 2019
                    • Send PM

I understand your health is failing. I'm so sorry about that, like I said I wish I had met you long ago. I would have shared my cushion at Balboa stadium with you. I'll tell another story for you. I'm not good at what year it was or who we played. I had season tickets at the Murf. Row 3 seat 1 and 2 in the plaza, right above where the Chargers ran out of the tunnel. My wife was about to pop with our baby. Charlie Joiner, who was her favorite player, caught a TD right in our end zone. We were all jumping up and down and cheering. Charlie threw the ball into the stands. It was heading right for my wife's belly. I didn't see it coming. The guy behind us, who we had sat with all year saw it. He dove forward and knocked the ball down, fell and hit his head. Got knocked out. He came to and we gave him the ball. All the people we sat with we knew very well just by sitting there with them for years. Those years were were great.

Hope you see this Roo.

I remember Keith Lincoln coming back to play with us. We were all excited. He took the opening kick off and broke his leg. I think that was it for him. He got a standing ovation from the crowd and San Diego Stadium though.

Great great player. Him, Paul Lowe, Alworth, and Speedy Duncan were great.

In the 1963 AFL championship game, Lincoln was voted the game MVP after the Chargers routed the Boston Patriots 51-10.[16] It remains the only league title in the franchise's history,[17] as well as the city of San Diego's only championship in a major sports league.[18] In the game, Lincoln carried the ball 13 times for 206 yards and had seven catches for 123 yards, compiling an AFL-record 329 yards from scrimmage; he also passed for 20 yards.[18][19] The record for total yards in a playoff game stood for both AFL and NFL players until 1971, when Ed Podolak gained 350 for the Kansas City Chiefs in a double-overtime playoff game against the Miami Dolphins; Lincoln still holds the yards from scrimmage record.[17][20] Lincoln's 206 yards rushing remained an NFL playoff record for 22 years, when Eric Dickerson of the Los Angeles Rams gained 248 against the Dallas Cowboys in 1985.[21]

Lincoln was traded to the Buffalo Bills in 1967.[22] He was productive that season, but was waived toward the end of the 1968 season before returning to San Diego and playing one game.[17] Over his eight-year career, Lincoln rushed for 3,383 yards and 19 touchdowns and had 165 receptions for 2,250 yards and 19 touchdowns.[17][23] He was a two-time All-AFL selection (1963, 1964)[24][25] and a five-time AFL All-Star (1962–1965, 1967), twice being named the game's MVP (1963, 1964).[20] He was inducted into the Chargers Hall of Fame in 1980,[26] and was also named to their 40th and 50th anniversary teams.[27][28]

Comment

• Formula 21
                      The Future is Now
                      • Jun 2013
                      • Republic of San Diego
                      • Send PM

I understand your health is failing. I'm so sorry about that, like I said I wish I had met you long ago. I would have shared my cushion at Balboa stadium with you. I'll tell another story for you. I'm not good at what year it was or who we played. I had season tickets at the Murf. Row 3 seat 1 and 2 in the plaza, right above where the Chargers ran out of the tunnel. My wife was about to pop with our baby. Charlie Joiner, who was her favorite player, caught a TD right in our end zone. We were all jumping up and down and cheering. Charlie threw the ball into the stands. It was heading right for my wife's belly. I didn't see it coming. The guy behind us, who we had sat with all year saw it. He dove forward and knocked the ball down, fell and hit his head. Got knocked out. He came to and we gave him the ball. All the people we sat with we knew very well just by sitting there with them for years. Those years were were great.

Hope you see this Roo.

I remember Keith Lincoln coming back to play with us. We were all excited. He took the opening kick off and broke his leg. I think that was it for him. He got a standing ovation from the crowd and San Diego Stadium though.

Great great player. Him, Paul Lowe, Alworth, and Speedy Duncan were great.

In the 1963 AFL championship game, Lincoln was voted the game MVP after the Chargers routed the Boston Patriots 51-10.[16] It remains the only league title in the franchise's history,[17] as well as the city of San Diego's only championship in a major sports league.[18] In the game, Lincoln carried the ball 13 times for 206 yards and had seven catches for 123 yards, compiling an AFL-record 329 yards from scrimmage; he also passed for 20 yards.[18][19] The record for total yards in a playoff game stood for both AFL and NFL players until 1971, when Ed Podolak gained 350 for the Kansas City Chiefs in a double-overtime playoff game against the Miami Dolphins; Lincoln still holds the yards from scrimmage record.[17][20] Lincoln's 206 yards rushing remained an NFL playoff record for 22 years, when Eric Dickerson of the Los Angeles Rams gained 248 against the Dallas Cowboys in 1985.[21]

Lincoln was traded to the Buffalo Bills in 1967.[22] He was productive that season, but was waived toward the end of the 1968 season before returning to San Diego and playing one game.[17] Over his eight-year career, Lincoln rushed for 3,383 yards and 19 touchdowns and had 165 receptions for 2,250 yards and 19 touchdowns.[17][23] He was a two-time All-AFL selection (1963, 1964)[24][25] and a five-time AFL All-Star (1962–1965, 1967), twice being named the game's MVP (1963, 1964).[20] He was inducted into the Chargers Hall of Fame in 1980,[26] and was also named to their 40th and 50th anniversary teams.[27][28]
                      I love to hear the old stories.
                      Now, if you excuse me, I have some Charger memories to suppress.
                      The Wasted Decade is done.
                      Build Back Better.

Comment

• Craig440
                        Registered Charger Fan
                        • Apr 2019
                        • Send PM

Originally posted by Formula 21 View Post

I love to hear the old stories.

And the Chicken knew exactly where I was and drank his share of my beer.

Lincoln 13 carries for 206 yards? Thats almost 19 yards a carry and 7 catches for 123 yards? Come on. Oh and passed for 20 yards! Great game.
                        Last edited by Craig440; 02-10-2022, 11:35 AM.

Comment

• chargeroo
                          Fan since 1961
                          • Jan 2019
                          • Oregon
                          • Retired Manager/Pastor
                          • Send PM

Oh I have one about Jim Plunket that maybe I shouldn't tell. If he ever finds me he will kill me. haha. I'm the reason we had to stop bringing in Styrofoam ice chest with beer in milk jugs.

And the Chicken knew exactly where I was and drank his share of my beer.

Lincoln 13 carries for 206 yards? Thats almost 19 yards a carry and 7 catches for 123 yards? Come on. Oh and passed for 20 yards! Great game.
                          Your doing a great job of sharing those Charger memories from back then!

That game remains one of my favorites. Sid Gilman devised the perfect offense to use against a team that loved to blitz. Lincoln had the day of a life! He had the kind of day young boys dream of having one day. I was a young father of two at that time. After that game I decided to buy four season tickets for the next year so I could take the kids. Turned out to be a bad idea, they were too young to enjoy the games.
                          THE YEAR OF THE FLIP!

Comment

Working...
                          X