First Prev Next Last

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• powderblueboy
    replied
    Originally posted by Xenos View Post

We want Herbert to be like Burrow in the mental processing game as well. Kurt Warner actually spoke highly of Burrow in this regard and how he was even further along than athletic freaks like Josh Allen or Lamar Jackson.
    https://www.golongtd.com/p/joe-burro...most-dangerous
    I guess its natural to hype Burrow right now.

However,

A. the Cincy D was excellent in their three wins
    B. the Bengals were not lighting up the scoreboard in any playoff win
    C. Burrow threw an un-clutch 4rth quarter interception.....fortunately, their D bailed him out.
    D. Their field goal kicker is nails.

All these clutch big game quarterbacks seems to have elite field goal kickers.

Rivers throws a 2nd half pick and the mob comes down on him hard after the opposing team scores;
    or they come down hard on him for not scoring the td, and having the field goal kicker shank another one.

Some qbs are just blessed.

Leave a comment:

• Xenos
    replied
    Originally posted by Hupperdoo View Post
    Chiefs Choke: Man...I don't like them but they looked so good yesterday till that Brandon Staley moment at the end of the 1st half. They were getting the ball to start the 2nd. Could have gone in feeling good with the 3 points and momentum..BUT....that was the turning point of the game. Gave the Bengals hope. Deflated themselves. They gave it away.
    They could have won if they had run more in the 2nd half instead of trying to pass the ball so much. The Bengals defense basically dared them to run by having more people in coverage. But Reid just loves the passing game too much.

Leave a comment:

• Xenos
    replied
    Originally posted by 21&500 View Post

I also think there's a psychological phenomenon when comparing QBs, we automatically assume 1 has to have something over the other and if we can't find something obvious, we simply assign something that is too close to determine as the thing.
    So since Herbert has superior physical abilities, we want to automatically give Burrow the mental processing.
    Herbert could simply be better to significantly better than Burrow in every trait
    minus experience (college and NFL playoffs/bigger games)and that's really not on him.
    I followed Burrow closely his last year at LSU. His mental processing is pretty amazing. But that may have to do more with him being in a pro offensive scheme earlier, while Herbert had a bunch of OCs utilizing him in a gimmicky college offense. There are legitimate issues with Lombardi but his scheme really tested Herbert mentally. You can see the struggles earlier in the year against better defensive minds but I feel like towards the end, Herbert finally started to pick it up. A second year in the same offense while solidifying the right side of the OL should bring even more improvements.

Leave a comment:

Guest replied
    Chiefs Choke: Man...I don't like them but they looked so good yesterday till that Brandon Staley moment at the end of the 1st half. They were getting the ball to start the 2nd. Could have gone in feeling good with the 3 points and momentum..BUT....that was the turning point of the game. Gave the Bengals hope. Deflated themselves. They gave it away.

Leave a comment:

• Xenos
    replied
    Originally posted by jamrock View Post

Stafford is much better than Tannehill. Not sure the Rams pass rush is better than TN but it’s gotta be close.
    Aaron Donald makes it better.

Leave a comment:

• powderblueboy
    replied
    Originally posted by Boltnut View Post
    Eric Weddle gets to go to a SB.
    He was solid yesterday.....i'm glad for him.

Leave a comment:

• 21&500
    replied
    Originally posted by chaincrusher View Post

Burrow has admitted that he has struggled at times with holding the ball too long. The CIN/TEN game certainly confirms that he still struggles with that at times (unless you think it is good mental processing to hold the ball too long and take sacks that put the team out of FG range in one instance and make a FG attempt much more difficult in another). There is no need to take my word for any of that.

I see no processing advantage for Burrow over Herbert (who Warner does not mention by the way) and do not care for the insult to Herbert, who was the better student and had the better Wonderlic score, which involves rapid mental processing. That is not to say that I think Burrow is weak at processing. I think he generally does a good job of that, but so does Herbert, so we do not need to knock our guy as you have.

Burrow and Herbert both improved this year primarily because they gained additional experience. That is the normal growth process for young QBs in general. It is not about the OC as much as it is about the experience being gained.

I do not accept the notion that analyses of former players are necessarily superior to those of anyone else. My belief is that we should consider what the former player is saying, especially since the opinions of former players are all over the map and often contradict one another.

To the extent that Warner believes that Burrow processes better than Herbert, something he does not expressly state in the quoted materials, I disagree with him.
    I also think there's a psychological phenomenon when comparing QBs, we automatically assume 1 has to have something over the other and if we can't find something obvious, we simply assign something that is too close to determine as the thing.
    So since Herbert has superior physical abilities, we want to automatically give Burrow the mental processing.
    Herbert could simply be better to significantly better than Burrow in every trait
    minus experience (college and NFL playoffs/bigger games)and that's really not on him.

Leave a comment:

• ghost
    replied
    https://www.nfl.com/news/bengals-safety-jessie-bates-contract-status-has-affected-play

https://www.spotrac.com/nfl/cincinnati-bengals/jessie-bates-iii-25153

At the beginning of the 2021 campaign, Jessie Bates said he was "pissed off" he didn't get a new contract during the offseason.

Leave a comment:

• richpjr
    replied
    Originally posted by Velo View Post

If you ask any halfway knowledgeable football person who is not a Chargers or Bengals fan, who has a completely objective point of view, I am 100 percent confident they will say the Chargers have the more talented roster. And the reason the Bengals got into the playoffs and have gotten this far, while the Chargers missed the playoffs altogether, is because the Bengals are better-coached. I guarantee it. And I offer as proof the fact the Chargers sent six players to the Pro Bowl (including two players from the supposedly talentless defense) while the Bengals sent half that many. The Chargers' defense was atrocious this season. But the personnel package is not as bad as the defense performed, the defense under-performed because of bad coaching.
    Don't buy it at all. Were the Bengals better coached when they won 2 games under Taylor 2 years ago? How about when they won 4 games last year? Suddenly in year 3, after building the roster for 3. years with the players Taylor wants, they are in the SB. I know plenty of non-Charger fans who would disagree with the roster talent level question. Again, look at their starting D and look at ours. Look at the ST vs ours. Look at their skill players vs ours. We are not more talented.

Leave a comment:

• jamrock
    replied
    I suddenly realize that the Rams are a bad matchup for the Bengals given what happened against the Titans. They need to find a way to protect him better because that Rams DL is going to eat him alive. And I don’t think Stafford is going to pull a Tannehill.
    Stafford is much better than Tannehill. Not sure the Rams pass rush is better than TN but it’s gotta be close.

Leave a comment:

Guest replied

Herbert’s getting better because of Lombardi and the offensive scheme, and he may eventually be at Burrow’s level next season. But he’s not quite there. Additionally, at the end of the day I think I trust someone like Warner than someone who knows as little about football as you.
    Burrow has admitted that he has struggled at times with holding the ball too long. The CIN/TEN game certainly confirms that he still struggles with that at times (unless you think it is good mental processing to hold the ball too long and take sacks that put the team out of FG range in one instance and make a FG attempt much more difficult in another). There is no need to take my word for any of that.

I see no processing advantage for Burrow over Herbert (who Warner does not mention by the way) and do not care for the insult to Herbert, who was the better student and had the better Wonderlic score, which involves rapid mental processing. That is not to say that I think Burrow is weak at processing. I think he generally does a good job of that, but so does Herbert, so we do not need to knock our guy as you have.

Burrow and Herbert both improved this year primarily because they gained additional experience. That is the normal growth process for young QBs in general. It is not about the OC as much as it is about the experience being gained.

I do not accept the notion that analyses of former players are necessarily superior to those of anyone else. My belief is that we should consider what the former player is saying, especially since the opinions of former players are all over the map and often contradict one another.

To the extent that Warner believes that Burrow processes better than Herbert, something he does not expressly state in the quoted materials, I disagree with him.

Leave a comment:

• ghost
    replied
    Originally posted by Velo View Post
    The Bengals made a defensive adjustment in the 2nd half that shut down Mahomes and the Chiefs' passing attack. Basically, the dropped 8 men into coverage on a majority of passing plays in the 2nd half. It worked. Mahomes was running around in circles trying to find an opening to throw into and that led to a few of the Bengals' sacks. But it still seemed like Mahomes was shy about trying to make a play in the 2nd half, less willing to throw downfield and take a gamble.

https://www.si.com/nfl/bengals/allbe...chiefs-offense
    Thank you for this article, I knew the Bengals made an adjustment: Mahomes didn't drop from a near-perfect rating in the first half to zero in the second half, but I didn't know if it would become known until the game-film is released.

The Saints beat the Colts, because the Saints changed their coverage, EVERY QUARTER against Peyton Manning in the Super Bowl.

Leave a comment:

Working...
X