• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Xenos
    Registered Charger Fan
    • Feb 2019
    • Send PM

Originally posted by jamrock View Post
    Say what you want about the Rams strategy but OBJ, Stafford and even Von Miller all came up big
    If they win it all this year, then yeah it was worth it. But they got to win it all otherwise things become more difficult next season.

Comment

• Velo
      Ride!
      • Aug 2019
      • Everywhere
      • Leave the gun, take the cannolis
      • Send PM

I hope Stafford, Von Miller and OBJ eliminate Tampa from the playoffs next weekend.

The 49ers are the only wildcard to advance; the Cowboys are the only division winner to be eliminated.

I still think expanding the playoff field to include 3 wildcards from each division is bad for the game, it dilutes post-season football, the time we are supposed to see the best football played. The Eagles and Steelers, the two No. 7 seeds, had no business being in the playoffs. They are average teams that lucked into the post-season. They aren't even better than average. They are allowing 14 teams - 44% of the league - into the playoffs now. It's all about money, not what is good for the sport.

Two teams that for awhile looked like the best teams in each conference - the Cardinals and Patriots - got blown out of the playoffs. The Cards started out with 7 straight wins and were 10-2 at one point. But they only won one of their final 5 games. Losing DeAndre Hopkins took the steam out of them. This is why I tend to be skeptical of teams that start the season on fire, almost always they cool down and are not the best team at the end of the season. The Patriots started slow, got real hot winning 7 straight, then kind of fell flat, losing 3 of their final 4, then got embarrassed by a division rival in the wildcard round.

Comment

• gzubeck
        Ines Sainz = Jet Bait!
        • Jan 2019
        • Tucson, AZ
        • Send PM

Originally posted by Velo View Post
        I hope Stafford, Von Miller and OBJ eliminate Tampa from the playoffs next weekend.

The 49ers are the only wildcard to advance; the Cowboys are the only division winner to be eliminated.

I still think expanding the playoff field to include 3 wildcards from each division is bad for the game, it dilutes post-season football, the time we are supposed to see the best football played. The Eagles and Steelers, the two No. 7 seeds, had no business being in the playoffs. They are average teams that lucked into the post-season. They aren't even better than average. They are allowing 14 teams - 44% of the league - into the playoffs now. It's all about money, not what is good for the sport.

Two teams that for awhile looked like the best teams in each conference - the Cardinals and Patriots - got blown out of the playoffs. The Cards started out with 7 straight wins and were 10-2 at one point. But they only won one of their final 5 games. Losing DeAndre Hopkins took the steam out of them. This is why I tend to be skeptical of teams that start the season on fire, almost always they cool down and are not the best team at the end of the season. The Patriots started slow, got real hot winning 7 straight, then kind of fell flat, losing 3 of their final 4, then got embarrassed by a division rival in the wildcard round.
        I completely disagree. This is one of those bigger picture kind of things. Look at the last game of the season. Chargers vs. Raiders... it came down to the very last play of the very last game to determine who gets into the playoffs. It can't get anymore exiting for the fan base and the fantastic drama all the way to the end. Sure there we're some clunker games this year but it might not be like that EVERY year! Plus I've seen seasons where there we're really bad teams in one division where even the division winner should not make it to the playoffs. It will all balance out in the long run.

:2cents:
        Chiefs won the Superbowl with 10 Rookies....

"Locked, Cocked, and ready to Rock!" Jim Harbaugh

Comment

• richpjr
          Registered Charger Fan
          • Jun 2013
          • Nashville
          • Send PM

Originally posted by gzubeck View Post

I completely disagree. This is one of those bigger picture kind of things. Look at the last game of the season. Chargers vs. Raiders... it came down to the very last play of the very last game to determine who gets into the playoffs. It can't get anymore exiting for the fan base and the fantastic drama all the way to the end. Sure there we're some clunker games this year but it might not be like that EVERY year! Plus I've seen seasons where there we're really bad teams in one division where even the division winner should not make it to the playoffs. It will all balance out in the long run.

:2cents:
          The league got exactly what it wanted with the Charger Raider game - no way they are reducing the number of teams in the playoffs.

Comment

• Bolt4Knob
            Registered Charger Fan
            • Dec 2019
            • Send PM

Originally posted by Xenos View Post

If they win it all this year, then yeah it was worth it. But they got to win it all otherwise things become more difficult next season.
            Rams have some players they can move dollars around to make the math work (e.g. releasing Whitworth or if he retires plus Extending stafford)
            They have a couple comp picks coming through for Holmes as well as a 4th for JJ111 as well as other players they will get 6th or 7th round picks
            And a team like the Rams always have the cash to keep pushing the cap out

They might lose a couple players in free agency but I think they are still going to be pretty strong. The Stafford move, for sure was worth the 2 first rounders plus having the LIons take Goff
            Von Miller - tbd.

But the moves did pay off in that they made it to this weekend of the playoffs - OBJr has fit in nicely.
            I think they have at least one more year with this team. At least.

Comment

• Bolt-O
              Administrator
              • Jun 2013
              • Send PM

Good news on Budda Baker, was diagnosed with the concussion, but has been released from the hospital and is now on his way back to Arizona.

Comment

• jamrock
                lawyers, guns and money
                • Sep 2017
                • Send PM

Originally posted by Bolt4Knob View Post

Rams have some players they can move dollars around to make the math work (e.g. releasing Whitworth or if he retires plus Extending stafford)
                They have a couple comp picks coming through for Holmes as well as a 4th for JJ111 as well as other players they will get 6th or 7th round picks
                And a team like the Rams always have the cash to keep pushing the cap out

They might lose a couple players in free agency but I think they are still going to be pretty strong. The Stafford move, for sure was worth the 2 first rounders plus having the LIons take Goff
                Von Miller - tbd.

But the moves did pay off in that they made it to this weekend of the playoffs - OBJr has fit in nicely.
                I think they have at least one more year with this team. At least.
                Every year they find a way to squeeze guys in and out. They picked up Stafford, OBj, Von Miller and Sony Michel this year.

Comment

• Xenos
                  Registered Charger Fan
                  • Feb 2019
                  • Send PM

Cards collapse after starting g 10-2 is pretty shocking.
                  I found the Tweet. But history say it’s not that shocking.

Comment

• Heatmiser
                    HarbaughHarrisonHeatMiser
                    • Jun 2013
                    • Send PM

Originally posted by richpjr View Post

The league got exactly what it wanted with the Charger Raider game - no way they are reducing the number of teams in the playoffs.
                    League got a lot out of all the Charger prime time games. They should schedule a bunch more in 2022. CHargers extemely entertaining for fans, even fans of other teams.

TG
                    Like, how am I a traitor? Your team are traitors.

Comment

• Heatmiser
                      HarbaughHarrisonHeatMiser
                      • Jun 2013
                      • Send PM

Every year they find a way to squeeze guys in and out. They picked up Stafford, OBj, Von Miller and Sony Michel this year.
                      And Weddle. That one is such a head scratcher to me.

I wish the Chargers would have signed McKinnon. He has looked awesome for the Chiefs and would have been such a great compliment to Ekeler. But he is injury plagued I guess.

TG
                      Like, how am I a traitor? Your team are traitors.

Comment

• Bolt-O
                        Administrator
                        • Jun 2013
                        • Send PM

Originally posted by Heatmiser View Post

And Weddle. That one is such a head scratcher to me.

TG
                        Weddle was an emergency signing, they didn't like what they had for backup safeties.

Comment

• Velo
                          Ride!
                          • Aug 2019
                          • Everywhere
                          • Leave the gun, take the cannolis
                          • Send PM

Just want to point out that the Raiders were the last team to qualify for the playoffs and the first team to be eliminated. If you have Raider fan friends, make sure they know it! :goofylol:

Comment

Working...
                          X