• Stinky Wizzleteats+
    Grammar Police
    • Jun 2013
    • Send PM

Chargers aren't using Melvin Gordon with the game on the line

Brace Hemmelgarn / USA TODAY Sports
    Sep 29, 2015 at 6:57p ET
    SHARES
    Melvin Gordon has been a part of a running back rotation before.

That's not what the Chargers claimed they drafted him -- but it's exactly where the prized rookie finds himself right now.

"We’ve got Danny (Woodhead), we’ve got some great receivers and we’ve got Bo (Branden Oliver)," Gordon told ESPN's Eric D. Williams. "You’ve got to share the ball."

The Chargers seem more than willing to share Gordon's meaningful carries, though. He has one one third-down carry in three games. He has five career fourth-quarter carries. And he doesn't have any red zone totes.

All three seem to suggest that despite Gordon's high selection, the Chargers don't trust him. And yet, even after games like the one in Minneapolis last weekend, they still grumble that they haven't found offensive balance yet.

They've passed the ball 104 times and run only 84. No. 28 just hopes he'll be a part of the process if those two numbers ever even out.

"That’s just what it is, and that’s just the guys we’ve got on this team," Gordon said. “So when I get the chance to get the ball, I’ve just got to make the best out of it.”

How did uncle Fester put it?

Oh yeah, "NO EXCUSE!"
    Go Rivers!

Comment

• Steve
      Administrator
      • Jun 2013
      • South Carolina
      • Meteorologist
      • Send PM

Originally posted by KNSD View Post
      Yeah that's what everybody thinks.
      Gordon's plays
      6,0,8,1,0,7,2,4,9,1,3,13,-2,3

Not many negative plays in there. 1/14 chance of a -2. Need 2 in a row which is a (1/14)*(1/14) chance. This means Rivers will only get killed maybe once every two games. So we're going to his funeral maybe mid-October at the latest - which is better than next week after the 1st quarter.
      You're right, a ton of third a mediums in there. 8 of the 14 runs put us behind on down and distance, which was the whole point. Yes, you got me, I was exaggerating a bit for effect. You caught me. But how the hell would you figure on getting any 1st downs? Unless you are going to run a whole lot of carries you won't get more then a token 1st down here or there, and then the next 3 play series you fall behind and get a 3rd and long, which is exactly the point I was trying to make.

Great way to sustain the running game. Better than 50% chance of being in medium or longer situation on any successive play, and that is with them knowing we are going to pass. Great plan.

That series is a perfect example of what I mean that the average doesn't mean what you think it means. When you say average run is 4.5 yards (the season average), you expect that we will get between 4 and 5 yards (remember the NFL only awards yards in integer distances). Some will be longer, some will be shorter, but

But looking at that list, is that what is happening? we have 1 explosive plays (10+), 5 longish run (but still too short to get a 1st down, including one 4 yarder) and 8 plays of 3 or less yards. Only the one 4 yard play near the "average". The one thing we know for sure, Gordon will get a good chunk of yardage, or get behind on down and distance. We can't sustain a drive. The actual yardage distances will vary by game, but you will see the same pattern. Check the games last year too, same pattern.
      Last edited by Steve; 09-29-2015, 08:41 PM.

Comment

• Charged up
        Registered Charger Fan
        • Jun 2013
        • Send PM

Originally posted by Boltaction View Post
        Not only the Loose Cannons talk about the poor coaching by McCoy but also many other pundits say that his decisions had a big part of losing the game against the Bengals. Even Fouts that knows a thing about football questioned McCoy for not taking advantage of the last minute in the half when the Chargers were trailing. Fouts said why sign Rivers to a hundred million dollar contract if your not going to allow him to play.

See below another pundit that sees it like it is, and even says as I believe something needs to be done about it.

http://www.boltsfromtheblue.com/2015...e-bengals-game
        LMAO I put that logic right back to you. Why risk your 100 million QB in obvious pass situations? I case you haven't been watching the games.... OUR OLINE IS GETTING RAG DOLLED! And you're gonna roll with Rivers our 100 million POCKET PASSER. They would have dialed up serious blitz packages. Getting him killed makes total sense.

I will tell you this. My ONLY gripe is with MG... With this O line he should be mid 20's for carries every week. The question is. Who's at fault? McCoy or Reich? Or Both?
        Last edited by Charged up; 09-29-2015, 08:57 PM.

Comment

• Stinky Wizzleteats+
          Grammar Police
          • Jun 2013
          • Send PM

Mix in a screen play to take advantage of the blitz.

There are way to make them pay for blitzing and Gordon is the most dangerous weapon in open space if they can start trusting him....
          Go Rivers!

Comment

• KNSD
            Registered Charger Hater
            • Jun 2013
            • Send PM

Originally posted by Steve View Post
            You're right, a ton of third a mediums in there. 8 of the 14 runs put us behind on down and distance, which was the whole point. Yes, you got me, I was exaggerating a bit for effect. You caught me. But how the hell would you figure on getting any 1st downs? Unless you are going to run a whole lot of carries you won't get more then a token 1st down here or there, and then the next 3 play series you fall behind and get a 3rd and long, which is exactly the point I was trying to make.

Great way to sustain the running game. Better than 50% chance of being in medium or longer situation on any successive play, and that is with them knowing we are going to pass. Great plan.

That series is a perfect example of what I mean that the average doesn't mean what you think it means. When you say average run is 4.5 yards (the season average), you expect that we will get between 4 and 5 yards (remember the NFL only awards yards in integer distances). Some will be longer, some will be shorter, but

But looking at that list, is that what is happening? we have 1 explosive plays (10+), 5 longish run (but still too short to get a 1st down, including one 4 yarder) and 8 plays of 3 or less yards. Only the one 4 yard play near the "average". The one thing we know for sure, Gordon will get a good chunk of yardage, or get behind on down and distance. We can't sustain a drive. The actual yardage distances will vary by game, but you will see the same pattern. Check the games last year too, same pattern.
            I get what you're saying, but at this point in time it's all about survival for your franchise QB. Run the ball. Protect Rivers' health until a real OL can be assembled. If Floyd, Stevie, and Allen are all "that", then they'll get open every now and then while the RB and TE (maybe 2 TE) help stop the blitz during a playaction pass.
            Prediction:
            Correct: Chargers CI fails miserably.
            Fail: Team stays in San Diego until their lease runs out in 2020. (without getting new deal done by then) .
            Sig Bet WIN: The Chargers will file for relocation on January 15.

Comment

• Steve
              Administrator
              • Jun 2013
              • South Carolina
              • Meteorologist
              • Send PM

How many 2 TE formations can we run when we are down 2 TE (Green and Gates)?

Basically, you are saying we should just give up and not even try, and I don't think the players or coaches agree with you.

Comment

• MakoShark
                Disgruntled
                • Jun 2013
                • North Alabama
                • Send PM

Originally posted by richpjr View Post
                No it isn't and if we had only run 2 times in the entire game, that would mean something. We ran 28 times for an average of 3.2 yards per carry. We tried to run and just could not effectively.
                25 of those runs were from the same damn play from the same damn formation. Good God, I hate that damn draw.

DAMN!
                Last edited by MakoShark; 09-30-2015, 04:24 AM. Reason: Wanted to say DAMN 1 more DAMN time
                sigpic

Comment

• MakoShark
                  Disgruntled
                  • Jun 2013
                  • North Alabama
                  • Send PM

I'll take the 3rd and mediums. Most of the time that's the equivalent of 3rd and manageable. 3rd and manageable is acceptable and plays into what is supposed to be our strategy *Just move the chains* Problem was we couldn't protect long enough even for 3 step drops and short routes. Not to mention Rivers was slightly off all day.
                  sigpic

Comment

• KNSD
                    Registered Charger Hater
                    • Jun 2013
                    • Send PM

How many 2 TE formations can we run when we are down 2 TE (Green and Gates)?

Basically, you are saying we should just give up and not even try, and I don't think the players or coaches agree with you.
                    You convinced me. I now believe we should simply let Rivers get killed. (Yeah, sorry the team doesn't have a "beef package" like other teams.... and yes that means what you think it means Hoarse. )
                    Last edited by KNSD; 09-30-2015, 05:40 AM.
                    Prediction:
                    Correct: Chargers CI fails miserably.
                    Fail: Team stays in San Diego until their lease runs out in 2020. (without getting new deal done by then) .
                    Sig Bet WIN: The Chargers will file for relocation on January 15.

Comment

• Stinky Wizzleteats+
                      Grammar Police
                      • Jun 2013
                      • Send PM

There’s having the title of a franchise quarterback; then there’s actually being able to shoulder the load on your own. Tom Brady, Peyton Manning? Those guys have won double digit games and made playoff runs with a less-than-average supporting cast, Brady having lacked an elite receiver in his early Super Bowl wins and Manning succeeding without a top level defense.

Phillip Rivers is great, and he’ll likely find himself enshrined in Canton, Ohio one day along with Brady and Manning. But the level of ability his counterparts have developed themselves is from another world, and Rivers is still mortal. Rivers is totally capable of taking the team on his back when they’re not performing and leading them to victory, but he’s not able to turn around a sinking ship.

So far in both of the San Diego Chargers’ early-season losses, Rivers’ performances haven’t varied much from the prime years of his career in efficiency and accuracy, but he totaled three touchdowns in the losses to Cincinnati and Minnesota, failing to reach 250 passing yards in either game. Days in which Rivers was rarely off-target and played up to the elite standard that he’s set for himself still end up as days that the Chargers offense struggles to put points on the scoreboard.

The issue with Rivers doesn’t have as much to do with him declining or slowing down, but rather that the offense he’s forced to run isn’t a high-percentage offense. Well, actually, that’s all it is. San Diego’s mixture of scheme and personnel limits the route tree to 10-15 yards before the receivers make their break. Keenan Allen struggles to get separation with his speed; instead the Chargers utilize him in short and medium-yardage throws that rely on his vision to pick up extra yards. Malcom Floyd doesn’t contribute more than one or two catches of significance in the average game. And Stevie Johnson’s role as slot receiver keeps him within close proximity of Rivers. Around the receivers’ skill sets and Mike McCoy’s inherent conservatism, the Chargers offense has evolved into an attack that relies on consistent execution and ball control, despite having a gunslinger quarterback.

The San Diego offense that came as a result of this was one that when firing on all cylinders can beat any defense in the league, but the slightest off day from Rivers’ supporting cast brings about too many stalled drives and missed opportunities. The Chargers rely on getting to third and manageable, but the offense can only convert so many third downs in a row to keep a drive going. Too many times the San Diego defense will force a turnover, and the offense look like it’s on its way to a scoring drive, but stall. The Chargers are able to avoid consistently terrible plays, but rarely hit any home run plays, and when playing a good defense, the give and take of a game prevents the offense from finding a rhythm.

Early in Rivers’ career under Marty Schottenheimer and Norv Turner, the San Diego offense was blessed with the talents of LaDainian Tomlinson, meaning that defenses were forced to play the run every down, allowing the Chargers and Rivers to stretch the field deep to Vincent Jackson and Floyd. Unfortunately for Rivers, the poor performance of the running attack post-Tomlinson has taught defenses to focus on his arm in their preparation, and the play calling that the Chargers institute doesn’t give him the opportunities to go downfield often.

With Melvin Gordon growing into himself as a professional and Danny Woodhead providing an occasional 20-yard burst out of the backfield on handoffs, the San Diego offense will likely be able to take more home run chances. But by continuing to play to their receivers’ strengths rather than their quarterback’s, the Chargers continue to risk 21-27 passing days for Rivers with nothing but a pair of touchdowns to show for it.
                      Go Rivers!

Comment

• Maverick
                        (Coryellian)
                        • Jun 2013
                        • Point Loma
                        • Send PM

Originally posted by Stinky Wizzleteats+ View Post

There’s having the title of a franchise quarterback; then there’s actually being able to shoulder the load on your own. Tom Brady, Peyton Manning? Those guys have won double digit games and made playoff runs with a less-than-average supporting cast, Brady having lacked an elite receiver in his early Super Bowl wins and Manning succeeding without a top level defense.

Phillip Rivers is great, and he’ll likely find himself enshrined in Canton, Ohio one day along with Brady and Manning. But the level of ability his counterparts have developed themselves is from another world, and Rivers is still mortal. Rivers is totally capable of taking the team on his back when they’re not performing and leading them to victory, but he’s not able to turn around a sinking ship.

So far in both of the San Diego Chargers’ early-season losses, Rivers’ performances haven’t varied much from the prime years of his career in efficiency and accuracy, but he totaled three touchdowns in the losses to Cincinnati and Minnesota, failing to reach 250 passing yards in either game. Days in which Rivers was rarely off-target and played up to the elite standard that he’s set for himself still end up as days that the Chargers offense struggles to put points on the scoreboard.

The issue with Rivers doesn’t have as much to do with him declining or slowing down, but rather that the offense he’s forced to run isn’t a high-percentage offense. Well, actually, that’s all it is. San Diego’s mixture of scheme and personnel limits the route tree to 10-15 yards before the receivers make their break. Keenan Allen struggles to get separation with his speed; instead the Chargers utilize him in short and medium-yardage throws that rely on his vision to pick up extra yards. Malcom Floyd doesn’t contribute more than one or two catches of significance in the average game. And Stevie Johnson’s role as slot receiver keeps him within close proximity of Rivers. Around the receivers’ skill sets and Mike McCoy’s inherent conservatism, the Chargers offense has evolved into an attack that relies on consistent execution and ball control, despite having a gunslinger quarterback.

The San Diego offense that came as a result of this was one that when firing on all cylinders can beat any defense in the league, but the slightest off day from Rivers’ supporting cast brings about too many stalled drives and missed opportunities. The Chargers rely on getting to third and manageable, but the offense can only convert so many third downs in a row to keep a drive going. Too many times the San Diego defense will force a turnover, and the offense look like it’s on its way to a scoring drive, but stall. The Chargers are able to avoid consistently terrible plays, but rarely hit any home run plays, and when playing a good defense, the give and take of a game prevents the offense from finding a rhythm.

Early in Rivers’ career under Marty Schottenheimer and Norv Turner, the San Diego offense was blessed with the talents of LaDainian Tomlinson, meaning that defenses were forced to play the run every down, allowing the Chargers and Rivers to stretch the field deep to Vincent Jackson and Floyd. Unfortunately for Rivers, the poor performance of the running attack post-Tomlinson has taught defenses to focus on his arm in their preparation, and the play calling that the Chargers institute doesn’t give him the opportunities to go downfield often.

With Melvin Gordon growing into himself as a professional and Danny Woodhead providing an occasional 20-yard burst out of the backfield on handoffs, the San Diego offense will likely be able to take more home run chances. But by continuing to play to their receivers’ strengths rather than their quarterback’s, the Chargers continue to risk 21-27 passing days for Rivers with nothing but a pair of touchdowns to show for it.
                        Other than not mentioning the constantly sorry state of the OL, I'd say this article's assessment is spot on. Poor PR....he definitely deserves better.

Comment

• Highboltage
                          Registered Charger Fan
                          • Jun 2013
                          • Send PM

Originally posted by Stinky Wizzleteats+ View Post

There offensive lines were still decent. Rivers did good the year our receivers were Crayton and street free agents.

Comment

Working...
                          X