Clear All
  • Geezbolt
    Registered Charger Fan
    • Jun 2013
    • Sun Valley, ID
    • Send PM

Originally posted by Hard4SanDiego View Post
    Oh and by the way is a super arrogant asshole
    I have friends who know McCoy and have known him for years. He is not a super arrogant asshole.

Comment

• Faded blues
      Registered Charger Fan
      • Aug 2013
      • Send PM

Yeah

He seems to be a good dude.

So was mike Riley.

Comment

• Boltaction
        Registered Charger Fan
        • Jul 2013
        • Send PM

The last coach of the Chargers that absolutely had no faith in his team or QB, was Tommy Prothro who would have his team punt on third downs. Claiming something could go wrong on a third and long. Sound familiar, it's a coach that has lost all faith in his offense. He was fired mid season, and the team traded a third round choice to obtain Don Coryell who put the starting QB on the bench brought in a young Dan Fouts the next game and won every game the rest of the season with the same team. No off season to bring in new players, no time to teach a new offense, just a great coach that new how to use the players he was delt and win.

It all starts and ends with the HC.

Comment

• Grinners
          Registered Charger Fan
          • Jun 2013
          • Send PM

Yeah this coach sucks, we have been competitive in every game. Gimme one of them coaches that allows our team to get the shit kicked out of it every week. Now there is real Chargers Coach for ya and a true fans real fantasy!!!! Bring it on................................................ .......gimme a shit kicking!!@!

Comment

• Marshall/Boogie
            Registered Charger Fan
            • Jun 2013
            • Send PM

Originally posted by Boltaction View Post
            It all starts and ends with the HC.
            I'll go ahead and disagree with this completely.

I'm not gonna type several explanations of why on this phone keyboard, but I'll try a few:

IMHO, it is a complex combination of HC and scheme, acquiring the best player personnel a team can within the rules of the league, making sure that personnel fits a given scheme (or adjusting the scheme to what you have in a current season) and then the preparing of the players for PROPER PLAYER EXECUTION on the field.

Anyone one of us can provide an argument over which one of the above elements is more important, but it certainly doesn't begin and end with just one element. Good lord.

Does the team take on the personality of the HC to a certain degree? Absolutely. Can he do it (win consistently) without good to great players - players that execute and make plays at critical times? Hardly.

Bill Walsh: great coach, innovator and cerebral some would say. How many SBs would he have won without Montana. One? Two? Didn't Seifert win with a roster close to what Walsh had?

Jimmy Johnson: won two SBs. Then left the egomaniac Jerrah. That coach from Alabama came in and won with virtually the same personnel. I think in his first year. Coaching?

Ditka: hard ass, motivator, tough guy who demanded respect from players. Won SB with an insane D and ok QB. Went to New Orleans. Sucked ass. Why did he suck so much ass? Don't tell me it was just the one Ricky trade.

Pete Carrol: been to multiple NFCCGs, won a SB, lost a SB. You think his rah rah style will automatically turn, say, Jacksonvile or Oakland around? Would he have won much without that DC and excellent players on D?

Billipuke: how many without the Golden Asshole? (Or stealthy filming crew?)

I did no research, just going off memory, so I could (and probably) be inaccurate in some of the items above, but my point remains: the HC is very, very important. But if you don't have the horses that can execute your scheme and out play your opponent more often than not, you're not gonna win at this level. No matter how creative, or motivating or inspiring.

A complex game (or any complex issue, really) cannot be summed up or solved simply, or in a single sentence. IMHO.
            Last edited by Marshall/Boogie; 09-23-2015, 08:19 AM. Reason: Spelling of course
            Well.. you can at least see the croutons in the dark.

Comment

• richpjr
              Registered Charger Fan
              • Jun 2013
              • Nashville
              • Send PM

And it spills into overreaction Wednesday!

Comment

• Marshall/Boogie
                Registered Charger Fan
                • Jun 2013
                • Send PM

Originally posted by richpjr View Post
                If you're talking about me, I'm just trying to calmly explain my take on the reaction to the coaching on Sunday. My reply is really my opinion without emotion. Didn't really think I'm being confrontational.
                But if I'm overreacting, I'll take it - I've been called worse
                Well.. you can at least see the croutons in the dark.

Comment

• Faded blues
                  Registered Charger Fan
                  • Aug 2013
                  • Send PM

Rich

Overreaction is my cup of tea

Comment

fender57
                    • Jun 2013
                    • Send PM

Originally posted by richpjr View Post
                    Maybe the most ridiculous things you've ever seen?

Comment

• Boltaction
                      Registered Charger Fan
                      • Jul 2013
                      • Send PM

I think the head coach and TT can fix things quickly if they will just try. The question is, is McCoy in a holding pattern, with the things the way they are. We will see in the next game. If he doesn't fix things now Norv Turner and the Vikings will stomp this team into the ground.

Comment

• foreigner
                        Tom Telesco is gone
                        • Sep 2013
                        • Send PM

Originally posted by Boltaction View Post
                        I think the head coach and TT can fix things quickly if they will just try. The question is, is McCoy in a holding pattern, with the things the way they are. We will see in the next game. If he doesn't fix things now Norv Turner and the Vikings will stomp this team into the ground.
                        Norv Turner....

Comment

fender57
                          • Jun 2013
                          • Send PM

Originally posted by foreigner View Post
                          Norv Turner....
                          Norv Turner the offensive coordinator I've always respected. I just always felt he was a dismal head coach.

Comment

Working...
                          X