Can Austin Ekeler Handle The Load By Himself Again?

Collapse
X
Collapse
First Prev Next Last

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Budsman
    Registered Charger Fan
    • May 2017
    • Send PM

Can Austin Ekeler Handle The Load By Himself Again?

In my opinion we need to create a strong backup or more optimally a 1a and 1b role split to fit the extended nfl season wear and tear.

Ekeler, for the physical specimen he is, isn’t built to take the load of an every down back in the NFL for an extended period of time. His talent is undeniable but it’s a matter of time before he gets worn out and this season I wonder if we made the playoffs if he had any gas left.

I would love to the chargers get a FA running back to go with him. I’m partial to the idea of signing Marlon Mack to an incentive driven contract. He is slightly larger than Ekeler at 6’ 210 and has proven he has the ability to play at a high level in the NFL. I wouldnt break the bank for him but he would make a win now tandem with Ekeler that if either gets hurt we could continue running this offense at near 100%.

I would love to hear what other chargers faithful think about this idea and who they would go after or any other ways they think are best to handle the RB position.

**edited for piss poor spelling and grammar**
    Last edited by Budsman; 01-29-2022, 09:14 PM.
  • Steve
    Administrator
    • Jun 2013
    • South Carolina
    • Meteorologist
    • Send PM

I don't buy the he can't take a beating argument. I think he is doing OK at that. But to me it misses the major point. He can be more explosive if we can get him the ball in space.

Sure, you can always hand him the ball, but we didn't do a good job of getting him the ball in space. Rivers last year, Steichen put Ekeler into the slot or split wide a significant amount, maybe 25% of the time (???, I didn't count). But if you check out his highlights (https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=X3wn...rtsProductions), there are a fair number of snaps in an empty backfield or in the slot or bunches. He did some nice work in motion with Gordon as the regular back, or faking a lead block and then getting him into space to throw to. Any/all of these things will still work.

Even if they don't want to use him in the slot, just feature and work harder at game planning him to get the ball in space. He is a fine inside runner and all that, but he is so explosive in space, you are kind of minimizing his impact if you don't do everything possible to get the ball in space.

I'm not suggesting we stop using him at RB. He is still a very effective conventional RB. But I think if we had a more conventional runner (like Mack), then it opens up other opportunities for Ekeler, and they can compliment each other. It is just trying to be more explosive, some of it is just trying to get him as many touches without a much wear and tear. Conventional RB take a lot of hits and dings, and you want to minimize that to the degree possible.

Comment

• Velo
      Ride!
      • Aug 2019
      • Everywhere
      • Leave the gun, take the cannolis
      • Send PM

View the profile of Seattle Seahawks Running Back Kenneth Walker III on ESPN. Get the latest news, live stats and game highlights.

This guy in the 2nd round.

Comment

• RTPbolt
        Charger Fan till the end
        • Jun 2013
        • North Carolina
        • Send PM

I love Ek but I do have concern with longevity during the season. I see good proven backs go to FA that dont break the bank…I think we take a shot in FA and that bigger back that still has good speed…they will be out there. Im just not really that happy with the core behind Ek.

Comment

• Formula 21
          The Future is Now
          • Jun 2013
          • Republic of San Diego
          • Send PM

Hits degrade RBs. Save Eks for more passing, less running.
          Now, if you excuse me, I have some Charger memories to suppress.
          The Wasted Decade is done.
          Build Back Better.

Comment

• Berserker76
            Registered Charger Fan
            • Nov 2019
            • Send PM

It's a crime if Telesco does not get him a complimentary back this year. Enough JAGs already, do your fricking job.

Comment

• 21&500
              Bolt Spit-Baller
              • Sep 2018
              • A Whale's Vajayjay
              • CMB refugee
              • Send PM

Not getting a complimentary back would be a disservice to the offense as well as him.
              Gimmie Bower Power!!

Comment

• 21&500
                Bolt Spit-Baller
                • Sep 2018
                • A Whale's Vajayjay
                • CMB refugee
                • Send PM

Originally posted by Berserker76 View Post
                It's a crime if Telesco does not get him a complimentary back this year. Enough JAGs already, do your fricking job.
                Timestamp!
                cheers
                Gimmie Bower Power!!

Comment

• Ghost of Quacksaw
                  Beef Before Gazelles
                  • May 2021
                  • Send PM

IMO, completely inadvisable to once again put Ekeler in the position of carrying the large majority of the RB load.

Ideally, you'd save wear and tear-- especially important, if the team intends to be playing additional games in the postseason-- by giving Ek fewer reps.

The reps you'd take away would be from the short yardage, between the tackles category. Let a back more physically suited to that job get the ball on those calls. That likewise preserves Ekeler for the kinds of plays he excels best at-- getting the ball in space.

Frank Gore is retired now, but he was exactly the kind of player who'd complement Ekeler best.

Mike Tolbert was an UDFA, and Michael Turner was a 5th round pick. It's evidence that you don't HAVE TO invest big draft capital to fill this particular role.

But I'm more concerned THAT Tom Telesco addresses this need than I am with the 'HOW' part of the equation.

Just effing get it done, TT.

Comment

• Budsman
                    Registered Charger Fan
                    • May 2017
                    • Send PM

I would love to see a Chubb/Hunt scenario with Mack/Ekeler. I think the matchups with both in the backfield would be amazing.

I know towards the end of the season Ekeler was banged up and I was being used less than the beginning of the season and for good reason.

the guy is amazingly good but he definitely needs to be protected a bit more from those inside runs that wear RBs down.

I personally don’t want a back thats just a backup but a true 1a 1b situation and wonder if a rookie running back is that option. It’s possible but a Vet that can come in and handle the work load immediately at a high level. Also heaven forbid Ekeler goes down you need a player who is ready to come in and win for you not just fill in. It feels like JJ showed hints but is often injured himself, I’m not against keeping him for depth but a true partner in crime for Ekeler with the extended season seems wise.

Comment

• Berserker76
                      Registered Charger Fan
                      • Nov 2019
                      • Send PM

Originally posted by Budsman View Post
                      I would love to see a Chubb/Hunt scenario with Mack/Ekeler. I think the matchups with both in the backfield would be amazing.

I know towards the end of the season Ekeler was banged up and I was being used less than the beginning of the season and for good reason.

the guy is amazingly good but he definitely needs to be protected a bit more from those inside runs that wear RBs down.

I personally don’t want a back thats just a backup but a true 1a 1b situation and wonder if a rookie running back is that option. It’s possible but a Vet that can come in and handle the work load immediately at a high level. Also heaven forbid Ekeler goes down you need a player who is ready to come in and win for you not just fill in. It feels like JJ showed hints but is often injured himself, I’m not against keeping him for depth but a true partner in crime for Ekeler with the extended season seems wise.
                      Would love to see a Ekeler/Mack combo. The guy is 26 years old and his body has gotten some rest since the Colts got Taylor. Great running backs can always be found in the later rounds, just not by us, it seems. Would rather try a proven guy than experiment with more draft picks. Of course, the money angle would have to work out. The money stuff is beyond my comprehension.

Comment

• Boltjolt
                        Dont let the PBs fool ya
                        • Jun 2013
                        • Henderson, NV
                        • Send PM

I really like Breece Hall in round 2 for us.

But I also wouldn't mind signing FA RBs De'Ernest Johnson, Ronald Jones or James Conner.
                        11 Brock Bowers TE - Georgia (plus AZ 2025 1st)
                        35 Kris Jenkins DT - Michigan
                        37 Cooper Beebe OG -Kansas st
                        66 Mike Sainristil CB - Michigan
                        69 Jaylen Wright RB - Tenn or Blake Corum - Michigan
                        100 Brenden Rice WR - USC (trade ⬆️w/ Wash for 2025 5th)
                        110 Cedric Gray LB - N. Carolina
                        140 Hunter Nourzad OC -Penn st
                        181 Jarrian Jones CB - Florida st
                        225 Cedrick Johnson Edge - Ol' Miss ➡️ 253 Fabien Lovett DT-FL st

Comment

Working...
                        X