Can Austin Ekeler Handle The Load By Himself Again?

Collapse
X
Collapse
First Prev Next Last

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • FarAwayBoltFan
    San Diego Native
    • Feb 2019
    • Farmington, NM
    • Send PM

I think everyone agrees that Austin needs a running mate to share the load, preferably a big(ger) back. We've talked the draft but what about FA or trade options?

Who would you target at RB in FA? Fournette or Penny seem like viable options. Who else might be a target?
    What about a trade? Who might be a target? If Akers or Sony were available from the Rams (will they keep both?), would we be interested? If so, at what cost?

Comment

• Attack
      Registered Charger Fan
      • Jan 2017
      • Send PM

Originally posted by Boltjolt View Post
      I really like Breece Hall in round 2 for us.

But I also wouldn't mind signing FA RBs De'Ernest Johnson, Ronald Jones or James Conner.
      What about D'Onta Foreman? He's a load and would be a small hit on the cap. I like Sony Michel, but he'd be around $5M or so.

Comment

• Boltjolt
        Dont let the PBs fool ya
        • Jun 2013
        • Henderson, NV
        • Send PM

Originally posted by Attack View Post

What about D'Onta Foreman? He's a load and would be a small hit on the cap. I like Sony Michel, but he'd be around $5M or so.
        Forgot about him,..... I'd consider him too. He did well in Tenn. Sony Michel has been a underachiever. Not interested.

Comment

• Steve
          Administrator
          • Jun 2013
          • South Carolina
          • Meteorologist
          • Send PM

Forgot about him,..... I'd consider him too. He did well in Tenn. Sony Michel has been a underachiever. Not interested.
          Again, it is about expectations with Michel. He is one of the better north-south RB in the league. He can carry the load as a #1 RB. What he doesn't add is much as a receiver, which is why I think everyone is so down on him. He also is not going to break a lot of long runs, not that anyone else does either.

Comment

• Boltjolt
            Dont let the PBs fool ya
            • Jun 2013
            • Henderson, NV
            • Send PM

Originally posted by Steve View Post

Again, it is about expectations with Michel. He is one of the better north-south RB in the league. He can carry the load as a #1 RB. What he doesn't add is much as a receiver, which is why I think everyone is so down on him. He also is not going to break a lot of long runs, not that anyone else does either.
            I liked him a lot coming out but as a NFL RB, he hasn't been real elusive and been able to hold down the #1 job consistantly and ways seems to lose the job.
            And NE wasn't exactly stacked at RB. We like RBs that can catch so he is a no go for me.

Comment

• Steve
              Administrator
              • Jun 2013
              • South Carolina
              • Meteorologist
              • Send PM

I liked him a lot coming out but as a NFL RB, he hasn't been real elusive and been able to hold down the #1 job consistantly and ways seems to lose the job.
              And NE wasn't exactly stacked at RB. We like RBs that can catch so he is a no go for me.
              I'm actually fine with a player like him. I think people are looking for "bigger" things. But for us, Ekeler is the big play guy. I think we need someone to be consistent, and wear down defenses, or at least help keep them off balance. Michel does that.

Comment

• AL9000
                Registered Charger Fan
                • Jan 2022
                • San Diego, CA
                • Send PM

Why not bring in a guy like Ronald Jones in FA?

Comment

• QSmokey
                  Guardedly Optimistic
                  • Jun 2013
                  • Kuna, Idaho
                  • Retired
                  • Send PM

Originally posted by Budsman View Post
                  In my opinion we need to create a strong backup or more optimally a 1a and 1b role split to fit the extended nfl season wear and tear.

Ekeler, for the physical specimen he is, isn’t built to take the load of an every down back in the NFL for an extended period of time. His talent is undeniable but it’s a matter of time before he gets worn out and this season I wonder if we made the playoffs if he had any gas left.

I would love to the chargers get a FA running back to go with him. I’m partial to the idea of signing Marlon Mack to an incentive driven contract. He is slightly larger than Ekeler at 6’ 210 and has proven he has the ability to play at a high level in the NFL. I wouldnt break the bank for him but he would make a win now tandem with Ekeler that if either gets hurt we could continue running this offense at near 100%.

I would love to hear what other chargers faithful think about this idea and who they would go after or any other ways they think are best to handle the RB position.

**edited for piss poor spelling and grammar**
                  I've been suggesting Mack for 2 months. No one here seems to be excited by that notion. But Mack is the sort of guy that TT tends to go after, i.e., 2nd-tier, cheaper, serviceable. He would be an upgrade over what we have now, IMO.

Comment

• La Costa Boy
                    Pretty much retired......
                    • Sep 2018
                    • JoJa
                    • Bloviator of hot air and rhetoric.
                    • Send PM

No..........

Comment

• Berserker76
                      Registered Charger Fan
                      • Nov 2019
                      • Send PM

Originally posted by QSmokey View Post

I've been suggesting Mack for 2 months. No one here seems to be excited by that notion. But Mack is the sort of guy that TT tends to go after, i.e., 2nd-tier, cheaper, serviceable. He would be an upgrade over what we have now, IMO.
                      I'm with you on Mack. The guy is not too old at 25 and was a beast before Taylor came along. He's gotten plenty of rest and feel he still has a lot to prove.

Comment

• Boltjolt
                        Dont let the PBs fool ya
                        • Jun 2013
                        • Henderson, NV
                        • Send PM

Originally posted by Berserker76 View Post

I'm with you on Mack. The guy is not too old at 25 and was a beast before Taylor came along. He's gotten plenty of rest and feel he still has a lot to prove.
                        Because he is always dinged up. He played in 6 games this year, 1 game last year. Never played a 16 game season.
                        May as well keep Jackson who would be cheaper.

He is a pretty decent RB when healthy but beast isn't a word I'd use.

Comment

• AL9000
                          Registered Charger Fan
                          • Jan 2022
                          • San Diego, CA
                          • Send PM

Because he is always dinged up. He played in 6 games this year, 1 game last year. Never played a 16 game season.
                          May as well keep Jackson who would be cheaper.

He is a pretty decent RB when healthy but beast isn't a word I'd use.
                          Yeah I wouldn't call Mack a beast by any means, but he has shown when healthy that he's pretty damn good. The key here is health.

Comment

Working...
                          X