Can Austin Ekeler Handle The Load By Himself Again?

Collapse
X
Collapse
First Prev Next Last

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Boltx
    Dominate the day
    • Jun 2013
    • Send PM

I had this dream the other night we traded a 2nd round pick for Kamara. Odd, I know.
    ESPN Screename: GoBolts02

Comment

Originally posted by Budsman View Post
      In my opinion we need to create a strong backup or more optimally a 1a and 1b role split to fit the extended nfl season wear and tear.

Ekeler, for the physical specimen he is, isn’t built to take the load of an every down back in the NFL for an extended period of time. His talent is undeniable but it’s a matter of time before he gets worn out and this season I wonder if we made the playoffs if he had any gas left.

I would love to the chargers get a FA running back to go with him. I’m partial to the idea of signing Marlon Mack to an incentive driven contract. He is slightly larger than Ekeler at 6’ 210 and has proven he has the ability to play at a high level in the NFL. I wouldnt break the bank for him but he would make a win now tandem with Ekeler that if either gets hurt we could continue running this offense at near 100%.

I would love to hear what other chargers faithful think about this idea and who they would go after or any other ways they think are best to handle the RB position.

**edited for piss poor spelling and grammar**
      I agree with your initial statement that we need a 1a and 1b set up to preserve Ekeler. Ekeler admitted that he felt worn down during the season and he is not a bigger RB.

That said, I disagree with others that want a pure bruiser or a second tier RB to pair with Ekeler.

IMO, we need a guy that is fully capable of being the #1 RB if Ekeler gets injured. This means that the offense will not suffer when the #2 (1b) RB is in the game. And what that means is that we need a big RB that is a threat to take it to the house when he is on the field, which means a big and fast RB.

And that guy is Breece Hall, who, at 6' 1" and 220 pounds, is expected to run in the upper 4.3s or lower 4.4s in the 40, while also possessing some elusiveness (including a little bit of the old Chuck Foreman spin move). While it is frustrating that we missed on such an obvious choice as Jonathan Taylor was two years ago, who would have been a perfect fit with Ekeler, we may end up in a position not to make the same mistake twice. (In the do not ever trade up column and please take the elite athlete column, we could have had Herbert and Taylor in the first two rounds of the 2020 draft. That would have been okay.)

Comment

Originally posted by Boltjolt View Post
        I really like Breece Hall in round 2 for us.

But I also wouldn't mind signing FA RBs De'Ernest Johnson, Ronald Jones or James Conner.
        I love the idea of Breece Hall in round 2.

I hate the other listed possibilities as players that simply lack the desired athleticism.

I am hoping that we sign a bunch of defensive FAs because offensive players represent my top choices for each of the first two rounds of the draft.

Comment

• Berserker76
          Registered Charger Fan
          • Nov 2019
          • Send PM

Because he is always dinged up. He played in 6 games this year, 1 game last year. Never played a 16 game season.
          May as well keep Jackson who would be cheaper.

He is a pretty decent RB when healthy but beast isn't a word I'd use.
          I must have formed my opinion of him the few times I saw him play and he was looking good. Just reviewed his injury history, yikes. Never mind.

Comment

• gzubeck
            Ines Sainz = Jet Bait!
            • Jan 2019
            • Tucson, AZ
            • Send PM

Originally posted by Boltx View Post
            I had this dream the other night we traded a 2nd round pick for Kamara. Odd, I know.
            Can he play on prison furlough?

:whistlin:
            Chiefs won the Superbowl with 10 Rookies....

"Locked, Cocked, and ready to Rock!" Jim Harbaugh

Comment

• Steve
              Administrator
              • Jun 2013
              • South Carolina
              • Meteorologist
              • Send PM

It is worth remembering that Lombardi and Staley both commented at how much harder it is to defend RB who are a running and receiving threat. guys like Mack add very little as a receiver. TT has a history of going to more complete, if less able, RB types even before Staley.

Ronald Jones was mentioned up above, and while he flashes ability and has had decent production, his getting benched last year because of his fumble problem against Dallas doesn't exactly inspire cnfidence.

Comment

Originally posted by Steve View Post
                It is worth remembering that Lombardi and Staley both commented at how much harder it is to defend RB who are a running and receiving threat. guys like Mack add very little as a receiver. TT has a history of going to more complete, if less able, RB types even before Staley.

Ronald Jones was mentioned up above, and while he flashes ability and has had decent production, his getting benched last year because of his fumble problem against Dallas doesn't exactly inspire cnfidence.
                Jones is also a below average receiver.

Comment

• QSmokey
                  Guardedly Optimistic
                  • Jun 2013
                  • Kuna, Idaho
                  • Retired
                  • Send PM

Because he is always dinged up. He played in 6 games this year, 1 game last year. Never played a 16 game season.
                  May as well keep Jackson who would be cheaper.

He is a pretty decent RB when healthy but beast isn't a word I'd use.
                  Didn't realize that he was injury prone. Thought he might be a good fit given that he's young, no better than 3rd on the depth chart with the Colts, and would probably come cheap.

As for drafting a running back in the 2nd round...I have mixed feelings. I guess it depends on what we do in FA for the defense. If we splurge and plug some holes going that route - and draft defense with our 1st rounder - I guess we could afford to go RB in then 2nd.

We just have so many needs on defense that I hate giving up a 2nd-rounder to the offense.

Comment

• gzubeck
                    Ines Sainz = Jet Bait!
                    • Jan 2019
                    • Tucson, AZ
                    • Send PM

Originally posted by QSmokey View Post

Didn't realize that he was injury prone. Thought he might be a good fit given that he's young, no better than 3rd on the depth chart with the Colts, and would probably come cheap.

As for drafting a running back in the 2nd round...I have mixed feelings. I guess it depends on what we do in FA for the defense. If we splurge and plug some holes going that route - and draft defense with our 1st rounder - I guess we could afford to go RB in then 2nd.

We just have so many needs on defense that I hate giving up a 2nd-rounder to the offense.
                    Why no Fournette? Too much of a headcase?

Leonard Fournette contract and salary cap details, full contract breakdowns, salaries, signing bonus, roster bonus, dead money, and valuations.

:coffee:
                    Chiefs won the Superbowl with 10 Rookies....

"Locked, Cocked, and ready to Rock!" Jim Harbaugh

Comment

• Steve
                      Administrator
                      • Jun 2013
                      • South Carolina
                      • Meteorologist
                      • Send PM

Fournette is not very good in pass protection.

TB got away with it because they had a lot of hot options and could take advantage of Brady's quick release, and/or dumping the ball off to Fournette quickly.

For a team like us, where we like to throw downfield, you have to have a RB who can give Herbert time to get the ball downfield.

Comment

• Boltjolt
                        Dont let the PBs fool ya
                        • Jun 2013
                        • Henderson, NV
                        • Send PM

We do and I get it but I just think we will be players in free agency and most of it will be for defense. That's why I'm not doing any mocks or rationalizing why this DT should be our pick at 17 til after FA'cy and we have a better idea. Then I'll do that lol.

We all know we need DTs but not everything we need is coming in the draft. That won't fix everything.

Comment

• richpjr
                          Registered Charger Fan
                          • Jun 2013
                          • Nashville
                          • Send PM

Agree with this. I don't care what order we draft or sign FA, but we need DT, Edge, CB, RG and RT more than another RB. I'd say equal to a second RB would be speed at receiver,

Comment

Working...
                          X