• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Boltgang74
    We Are The Storm!
    • Aug 2018
    • Send PM

Originally posted by Classic View Post

No conspiracy at all. League office and owners don't like us. Rams, Cowboys, Chiefs, Patriots' etc are in they "in" club and we aren't. It's been this way even before the L.A days.
    I assume because the SpAnus clan is chump change money compared to the favorite owners.Just a feelin our teams owners are not taken too seriously by the rest of the owners.

Comment

• SBbound
      Casual fanatic
      • Feb 2019
      • Merced/San Diego
      • Send PM

Originally posted by jamrock View Post

I don’t know what people want ona stadium but SoFi fails on several levels that matter to me. It seems they invested a ton of money in luxury suites but IDGAF about that. Here’s what I value:
      open air in SoCal
      natural grass
      easy as possible in and out.
      free movement between areas within the stadium
      good seats
      good food
      good video

the only things SoFi has off that list are good seats and good video. Everything else sucks
      I don't get the negativity. It's the finest stadium in the world. Were there design tradeoffs? Of course, but so what, overall, it's a stunning architectural masterpiece.
      The location and size of the site is what drove this development. Without the surrounding land it would not have happened.

Point by point that you raised:

Investment in luxury suites.
      Revenue drives this, home team splits general admissions seat income 60/40 with the visiting team, however the home team keeps 100% of club seat and luxury box revenue. Luxury boxes rent for serious money. One suite rented for a million for the Superbowl, just the one game. All new stadiums are designed and built with this revenue stream in mind.

Open air in SoCal.
      The site sits under the LAX flight path which required the stadium to built 100' into the ground so as to not exceed a set height. The patio cover was required to mitigate aircraft noise, saves south and west facing fans from frying in the sun (ETFE cuts UV rays by about 50%) and to support that awesome oculus video screen. IMO SoFi has an open-air vibe. The landscaped canyons are excellent at addressing this issue. The breeze could be better in the lower bowl. I guess we just disagree on the open-air feel.

Natural grass.
      There is no way to accomplish this for 20+ pro games per season. It's not possible to lower two different natural grass tubs in and out of a 100' deep pit. As far as I know cost efficient grow lights for a gridiron are not available yet?? Besides the faux turf looks good on tv and that's where the big bucks are.

Easy in and out.
      Agreed, it sucks, I'm hoping that somehow this will be addressed?

Free movement between stadium areas.
      Not sure what your complaint is? I'd like to partake of the 100 level amenities, and it's not allowed, if that's your issue then I agree.

Good food.
      I've seen media examples of bad food especially at the first few games. The food has been good from my prospective. Maybe our section is just lucky? For those that our disappointed I expect big improvements.

Future Superbowl sites:
      2023 Arizona
      2024 Las Vegas <spit>
      2025 New Orleans

2026 SoFI??
      NFL Commissioner Roger Goodell Expects SoFi Stadium to be a 'Regular Super Bowl Stop' - Sports Illustrated LA Rams News, Analysis and More

Comment

• jamrock
        lawyers, guns and money
        • Sep 2017
        • Send PM

Originally posted by labound View Post

I don't get the negativity. It's the finest stadium in the world. Were there design tradeoffs? Of course, but so what, overall, it's a stunning architectural masterpiece.
        The location and size of the site is what drove this development. Without the surrounding land it would not have happened.

Point by point that you raised:

Investment in luxury suites.
        Revenue drives this, home team splits general admissions seat income 60/40 with the visiting team, however the home team keeps 100% of club seat and luxury box revenue. Luxury boxes rent for serious money. One suite rented for a million for the Superbowl, just the one game. All new stadiums are designed and built with this revenue stream in mind.

Open air in SoCal.
        The site sits under the LAX flight path which required the stadium to built 100' into the ground so as to not exceed a set height. The patio cover was required to mitigate aircraft noise, saves south and west facing fans from frying in the sun (ETFE cuts UV rays by about 50%) and to support that awesome oculus video screen. IMO SoFi has an open-air vibe. The landscaped canyons are excellent at addressing this issue. The breeze could be better in the lower bowl. I guess we just disagree on the open-air feel.

Natural grass.
        There is no way to accomplish this for 20+ pro games per season. It's not possible to lower two different natural grass tubs in and out of a 100' deep pit. As far as I know cost efficient grow lights for a gridiron are not available yet?? Besides the faux turf looks good on tv and that's where the big bucks are.

Easy in and out.
        Agreed, it sucks, I'm hoping that somehow this will be addressed?

Free movement between stadium areas.
        Not sure what your complaint is? I'd like to partake of the 100 level amenities, and it's not allowed, if that's your issue then I agree.

Good food.
        I've seen media examples of bad food especially at the first few games. The food has been good from my prospective. Maybe our section is just lucky? For those that our disappointed I expect big improvements.

Future Superbowl sites:
        2023 Arizona
        2024 Las Vegas <spit>
        2025 New Orleans

2026 SoFI??
        NFL Commissioner Roger Goodell Expects SoFi Stadium to be a 'Regular Super Bowl Stop' - Sports Illustrated LA Rams News, Analysis and More
        I’m not swallowing the press. A fine building that’s hard to get to and impossible to move around in with a field that the players don’t like doesn’t get it done for me. But I understand the economics and value of luxury suites which is just a way for the filthy richest people in the world to suck more money out. The people in those suites are not generally fans of the team or even football fans.

but it looks good on TV? Is this the Truman Show?

Comment

• powderblueboy
          Registered Charger Fan
          • Jul 2017
          • Send PM

One of these stadiums has the feel of watching the action from the food court of a shopping mall.

QUALCOMM STADIUM

Comment

• SBbound
            Casual fanatic
            • Feb 2019
            • Merced/San Diego
            • Send PM

I’m not swallowing the press.
            I'm not sure what you mean, please elaborate.

A fine building that’s hard to get to and impossible to move around in with a field that the players don’t like doesn’t get it done for me.
            How is the stadium hard to move around in, I don't understand? What area or areas do you find challenging to navigate? I have a feeling you and I sit in the same general area but my experience is much different than yours. Maybe I'm too emotionally invested in the place, I spent a lot of time studying the stadium during every stage of the development plus I'm a big fan of architecture especially the difficult and challenging engineering that's required to pull of something like the architect's vision of a world class stadium like SoFi. I appreciate the brilliant minds that made this dream come true, in a way I take pride in the stadium and I smile every time I walk in.

Player complaints/concerns are valid but they're few and far between. The original Astroturf was crap but the new stuff is pretty good, maybe not as good as sod but it's not going to change so why bitch about it?

But I understand the economics and value of luxury suites which is just a way for the filthy richest people in the world to suck more money out. The people in those suites are not generally fans of the team or even football fans.
            So it bothers you that others have figured out how to charge exorbitant prices for people to attend a sporting event that they don't pay attention to?

but it looks good on TV? Is this the Truman Show?
            Broadcast rights are a product and the better it looks the better it sells. The Truman Show reference was pretty funny though.

Comment

• powderblueboy
              Registered Charger Fan
              • Jul 2017
              • Send PM

Broadcast rights are a product and the better it looks the better it sells. The Truman Show reference was pretty funny though.

But you don't seem to understand, we are saying that Sofi looks aesthetically sterile and claustrophobic from the inside.
              It is off-putting; it is as charmless as the Pontiac Superdome.

It is a testament to conspicuous consumption: useless are the majority of its expenditures.
              It is the sheer waste of money spent on trite little items that can be the only possible enjoyment to the few.

It has no class, nor style. It is unattractive without being ugly....which would be a redeeming feature.
              It is a gauche cathedral to dot.com millionaires, it strives to be banal.
              And that huge hulking mass of electronics hovering over the field, like a menacing hatchet man, needs to be buried deep in some salt cavern in the middle of Uzbekistan.

It pretty much ruined my Super Bowl experience...i turned it off for most of the 2nd half.

Comment

• jamrock
                lawyers, guns and money
                • Sep 2017
                • Send PM

I'm not sure what you mean, please elaborate.

How is the stadium hard to move around in, I don't understand? What area or areas do you find challenging to navigate? I have a feeling you and I sit in the same general area but my experience is much different than yours. Maybe I'm too emotionally invested in the place, I spent a lot of time studying the stadium during every stage of the development plus I'm a big fan of architecture especially the difficult and challenging engineering that's required to pull of something like the architect's vision of a world class stadium like SoFi. I appreciate the brilliant minds that made this dream come true, in a way I take pride in the stadium and I smile every time I walk in.

Player complaints/concerns are valid but they're few and far between. The original Astroturf was crap but the new stuff is pretty good, maybe not as good as sod but it's not going to change so why bitch about it?

So it bothers you that others have figured out how to charge exorbitant prices for people to attend a sporting event that they don't pay attention to?

The hype. The marvel of SoFi. I don’t buy it. It’s unnecessary. It’s gluttonous. Football is a physical battle not the fucking ballet. I don’t need a Disney hall. The coliseum and rose ball are stadiums. Sofi is an ego trip.

what do I mean? Do you have friends who have seats in different levels? It’s impossible to meet up at half time. Some levels are completely off limits.

luxury suites? Like I said I understand the economic incentive. It’s greed. But you have less real fans in the stadium.

no the product is the game. I would rather see grass stains and dirty uniforms in the 4th quarter with the game on the line.

maybe I’m a dinosaur. But I don’t like the video game look of SoFi on TV. It’s fake.

look at the pictures above. Can’t compare for my money. Go to a game at Lambeau field and get back to me

Comment

• SBbound
                  Casual fanatic
                  • Feb 2019
                  • Merced/San Diego
                  • Send PM

The hype. The marvel of SoFi. I don’t buy it. It’s unnecessary. It’s gluttonous. Football is a physical battle not the fucking ballet. I don’t need a Disney hall. The coliseum and rose ball are stadiums. Sofi is an ego trip.

what do I mean? Do you have friends who have seats in different levels? It’s impossible to meet up at half time. Some levels are completely off limits.

luxury suites? Like I said I understand the economic incentive. It’s greed. But you have less real fans in the stadium.

no the product is the game. I would rather see grass stains and dirty uniforms in the 4th quarter with the game on the line.

maybe I’m a dinosaur. But I don’t like the video game look of SoFi on TV. It’s fake.

look at the pictures above. Can’t compare for my money. Go to a game at Lambeau field and get back to me
                  I've been to a Chargers vs. Packers game at Lambeau. I enjoyed it. I've been there for the hell of it a couple of other times. BFD. The place is awesome for it's history, the neighborhood vibe with the track houses backed up to the parking lot access road. The massive tailgate parties in those backyards. Have you noticed that a couple of those houses have been bought and turned into McMansions with turf backyards complete with yard markers and goal posts? Bet that pisses you off. The mockup of Vince Lombardi's office is cool. Fans own the team. Cool again. The metal stadium bench seats with no backs suck. So what?
                  Qualcomm was falling apart and turning into a dump. The 50-yard line seats were a mile away from the field. Oakland was the only stadium that was worse.
                  SoFi is awesome. Too bad you don't like it. I do. You can either embrace change or piss and moan about how great the past was. This seems like such a stupid thing to argue about.

Comment

• jamrock
                    lawyers, guns and money
                    • Sep 2017
                    • Send PM

I've been to a Chargers vs. Packers game at Lambeau. I enjoyed it. I've been there for the hell of it a couple of other times. BFD. The place is awesome for it's history, the neighborhood vibe with the track houses backed up to the parking lot access road. The massive tailgate parties in those backyards. Have you noticed that a couple of those houses have been bought and turned into McMansions with turf backyards complete with yard markers and goal posts? Bet that pisses you off. The mockup of Vince Lombardi's office is cool. Fans own the team. Cool again. The metal stadium bench seats with no backs suck. So what?
                    Qualcomm was falling apart and turning into a dump. The 50-yard line seats were a mile away from the field. Oakland was the only stadium that was worse.
                    SoFi is awesome. Too bad you don't like it. I do. You can either embrace change or piss and moan about how great the past was. This seems like such a stupid thing to argue about.
                    To each his own. I don’t mind change. It’s not about that. Just personal taste. I’m not gonna stop going to games because I don’t like the stadium. But they got a lot of the basic things wrong.

Comment

• powderblueboy
                      Registered Charger Fan
                      • Jul 2017
                      • Send PM

San Diego Stadium was a testament to civic pride, democratic values, & financial moderation. It was affordable ($215 million in 2020 dollars) and its venues were within the financial means of the average family. Money saved on the venture could then be spent by the community on schools, roads, bridges, hospitals....that kind of stuff. It is a symbol of a half way decently functioning political culture.

Sofi is a testament to private prestige, exclusive privileges, financial excess (& let me add the profit of a few well placed individuals as the ultimate thing that matters in our society). It can be lumped together with other extravagances and inefficient, bloated bureaucratic systems in this country that reduces our ability to adapt and compete as a nation - if you want, i can construct for you a brief list and the geopolitical consequences.

'Embracing change' is a cliche. We have accepted change by the very fact that we still follow this team with its lunk-headed ownership after having moved to L.A.. Why would anyone ever embrace something headed in the wrong direction? Would you 'embrace change' if you found out that the new baby sitter is a pedophile?

Comment

• jamrock
                        lawyers, guns and money
                        • Sep 2017
                        • Send PM

Originally posted by powderblueboy View Post

San Diego Stadium was a testament to civic pride, democratic values, & financial moderation. It was affordable ($215 million in 2020 dollars) and its venues were within the financial means of the average family. Money saved on the venture could then be spent by the community on schools, roads, bridges, hospitals....that kind of stuff. It is a symbol of a half way decently functioning political culture.

Sofi is a testament to private prestige, exclusive privileges, financial excess (& let me add the profit of a few well placed individuals as the ultimate thing that matters in our society). It can be lumped together with other extravagances and inefficient, bloated bureaucratic systems in this country that reduces our ability to adapt and compete as a nation - if you want, i can construct for you a brief list and the geopolitical consequences.

'Embracing change' is a cliche. We have accepted change by the very fact that we still follow this team with its lunk-headed ownership after having moved to L.A.. Why would anyone ever embrace something headed in the wrong direction? Would you 'embrace change' if you found out that the new baby sitter is a pedophile?
                        It’s really about Stan Kroenke being able to maximize profits as he took all the financial risk. So naturally that means more luxury suites and amenities catering to the wealthy and corporate patrons and less attention to the general public.

Comment

• powderblueboy
                          Registered Charger Fan
                          • Jul 2017
                          • Send PM

It’s really about Stan Kroenke being able to maximize profits as he took all the financial risk. So naturally that means more luxury suites and amenities catering to the wealthy and corporate patrons and less attention to the general public.
                          It involves another instance of the places in which vast fortunes choose to invest their money in our economy.
                          Maximizing profits in a venture involving real estate and an already existing asset (the Rams);
                          Whatever jobs are created in Inglewood will be lost somewhere else.

It is the norm among them; it is a net zero venture for the economy, with $5 billion dollars of investment involved.

Stan Kroenke belongs to a group of 'job creators' whose unprecedented fortunes were justified by their supposed ability to direct investments efficiently to
                          areas of the economy most beneficial towards our ability to compete in the 'global economy'. I guess these vast fortunes no longer need justification; they simple exist and where ever they scatter their manure, the little birds need to busily hop about picking berries out of it.
                          Last edited by powderblueboy; 02-20-2022, 12:02 PM.

Comment

Working...
                          X