• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Boltnut
    Registered Charger Fan
    • Feb 2019
    • Send PM

Originally posted by Boltjolt View Post

But they have, i believe 10 years to pay that 695 mil as opposed to now for a stadium and in those 10 years they pay no rent in LA ($1 is no rent) and have more TV revenue and team valuation so the long run is better in LA and they knew that.

SD also didn't want to help with a stadium and the people living there didn't want it either. Worried about taxes even though it was coming from hotel taxes and not them. .....which seems silly to me to think that way.
    What's done is done. No need to look back.
    SD blew their chance to keep a NFL franchise and won't get another.
    My old high school friends and I get together once a year... usually Vegas. This last year, when checking in to the hotel, I got hit with an additional $500 bill... hotel taxes. This has never happened before. That's when it hit me... I was helping pay for their stadium.

Needless to say, we'll find another venue next year.

SD relies on tourism... and its hotels. If your hotel costs go up, you tend to find other places to go. That's what most San Diegans were worried about... business going elsewhere.

In the end, I'll still get a great live football experience (outdoors, real turf)... at a fraction of the cost. The new Aztecs stadium is almost finished and I can't wait to catch a couple games next year. Saturday night Aztecs... Sunday afternoon Chargers games on TV.

The land at the old Qualcomm site (land the city was willing to give to Spanos) will be better used (SDSU West Campus). The people of San Diego (even Chargers fans like me) won't miss the Spani Clan. LA can have them (and all of their shananigans). They are now Stan's headache.

Comment

• electricgold
      Registered Charger Fan
      • Apr 2020
      • Send PM

I'm done with the fight for LA.... Screw that it is now the fight for the AFC West does everyone realize there is a chance Rogers could be the QB in Denver and ummmmmmm... Tom Brady could be the next QB for the Las Vegas Raiders next season. Heck we all know Brady is probably going to be the starting QB on the first team that is in the race that loses their starting QB in crunch time next season anyway and will more than likely finish his career at 45 as the MVP of the superbowl.

Comment

• Bolt-O
        Administrator
        • Jun 2013
        • Send PM

Originally posted by Boltnut View Post

My old high school friends and I get together once a year... usually Vegas. This last year, when checking in to the hotel, I got hit with an additional $500 bill... hotel taxes. This has never happened before. That's when it hit me... I was helping pay for their stadium.

SD relies on tourism... and its hotels. If your hotel costs go up, you tend to find other places to go. That's what most San Diegans were worried about... business going elsewhere.

In the end, I'll still get a great live football experience (outdoors, real turf)... at a fraction of the cost. The new Aztecs stadium is almost finished and I can't wait to catch a couple games next year. Saturday night Aztecs... Sunday afternoon Chargers games on TV.

The land at the old Qualcomm site (land the city was willing to give to Spanos) will be better used (SDSU West Campus). The people of San Diego (even Chargers fans like me) won't miss the Spani Clan. LA can have them (and all of their shananigans). They are now Stan's headache.
        I sense this thread is getting close to being burned out as San Diego and Vegas is getting dragged into it. I don't think there ever was a fight for LA, its just a fight for market share, which will just continue on and on.

Comment

• AK47
          Registered Charger Fan
          • May 2019
          • Send PM

Woah. No disclaimer prior to booking? Thats steep.

Comment

• Boltnut
            Registered Charger Fan
            • Feb 2019
            • Send PM

Originally posted by AK47 View Post

Woah. No disclaimer prior to booking? Thats steep.
            There probably was a disclaimer... burried deep in legal jargon... bottom of the page.
            Yeah, I was confused. And a little pissed.

Comment

• Boltnut
              Registered Charger Fan
              • Feb 2019
              • Send PM

Originally posted by Bolt-O View Post

I sense this thread is getting close to being burned out as San Diego and Vegas is getting dragged into it. I don't think there ever was a fight for LA, its just a fight for market share, which will just continue on and on.
              You're right, there was no Fight For LA. Rams/Chargers share general admission seat sales, jersey sales, TV revenues etc.
              Salivate For Suites should have been the slogan.

Fight For LA was just a failed attempt to generate a rivalry that doesn't exist in hopes of generating excitement in a product that nobody really cares about.
              The optics were bad from the beginning. The winning QB turning his back on the falling fan was the perfect metaphorical ending to this charade. Disney couldn't have written it better.

Comment

• Boltjolt
                Dont let the PBs fool ya
                • Jun 2013
                • Henderson, NV
                • Send PM

Well I have no idea how the bill was $500 more. The taxes aren't that much higher. Also as an example there are thousands of wedding applicants for today and the hotels are always near capacity so it isn't detering many.

This also applies to opposing teams that come here for hockey games, football and women's basketball, etc.

So if this were in SD, opposing teams for the Padres, Chargers etc would be contributing to their stadium and that's a good thing imo.
                I just think residents there didnt understand it which is typical of people not doing their homework when it comes to anything political and things like these.

People are lazy and don't want to read anything.

I also don't care about the Spanos And I wish they would sell the team but in all this comes the fact that San Diego will probably never get another NFL team.

Comment

• jamrock
                  lawyers, guns and money
                  • Sep 2017
                  • Send PM

Originally posted by Boltjolt View Post

Well I have no idea how the bill was $500 more. The taxes aren't that much higher. Also as an example there are thousands of wedding applicants for today and the hotels are always near capacity so it isn't detering many.

This also applies to opposing teams that come here for hockey games, football and women's basketball, etc.

So if this were in SD, opposing teams for the Padres, Chargers etc would be contributing to their stadium and that's a good thing imo.
                  I just think residents there didnt understand it which is typical of people not doing their homework when it comes to anything political and things like these.

People are lazy and don't want to read anything.

I also don't care about the Spanos And I wish they would sell the team but in all this comes the fact that San Diego will probably never get another NFL team.
                  I also remember hearing that the Hotel industry was opposed to the extra tax and made an effective PR argument against. But I agree with you that people didn’t invest time to read or think about it. Of course now a savvy owner could point to the Vegas example.

Comment

• equivocation
                    Registered Charger Fan
                    • Apr 2021
                    • Send PM

The highest TLT in Vegas is 13.38%.

MunicodeNEXT, the industry's leading search application with over 3,300 codes and growing!

Comment

• electricgold
                      Registered Charger Fan
                      • Apr 2020
                      • Send PM

Originally posted by Bolt-O View Post

Yep especially because we got destroyed and embarrassed in the fight for LA this year! The only way we could progress in LA now is if Staley could go on a run sort of like the way Pit's HC has....

In LA as a matter of fact what's most important over winning a fight with the rams is just have a winning record and make the playoffs every season. Period.

Comment

• richpjr
                        Registered Charger Fan
                        • Jun 2013
                        • Nashville
                        • Send PM

Originally posted by electricgold View Post

Yep especially because we got destroyed and embarrassed in the fight for LA this year! The only way we could progress in LA now is if Staley could go on a run sort of like the way Pit's HC has....

In LA as a matter of fact what's most important over winning a fight with the rams is just have a winning record and make the playoffs every season. Period.
                        And still in the NFC championship game, the stadium was more than half full with 49er fans. The Chargers have not won the battle for LA, but neither have the Rams.

Comment

• Maniaque 6
                          French Speaking Charger Fan
                          • Jan 2019
                          • Québec city
                          • Send PM

I think the battle for LA is only concern 40% of the population.
                          The other 60% are fans of the Raiders or the 49ers.
                          With the Rams Super Bowl, it is 30-10 for them.

Comment

Working...
                          X