Collapse
First Prev Next Last

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Lightningwill_420

Originally posted by ArtistFormerlyKnownAsBKR View Post
    When Hairston is your starting LT and Kenny (Who?) Wiggins if your LG, it makes sense.

Funny, we've got Who? and Wat? playing on our OL. Sometimes.
    We played a lot better with Who than we ever did with Wat.

Comment

• Stinky Wizzleteats+
      Grammar Police
      • Jun 2013
      • Send PM

Philip Rivers pulls reins; Gates back

Mugshot of Kevin AceeMugshot of Michael GehlkenBy Kevin Acee and Michael Gehlken | 7 a.m. Oct. 6, 2015

Philip Rivers had not been the problem for the Chargers this season. But he felt like his play had cost the Chargers enough to affect a loss or even both losses.

His mindset going into Sunday’s game against the Browns was to take what he was given, balance his passion with prudence.

“I felt, ‘I’m not messing this one up,’ ” he said. “We made some aggressive throws, but there were a few times maybe I could have hung in the pocket a little longer, but I said, ‘A sack fumble, it’s not happening today.’ ”

While completing just 23 of his 38 passes in a 30-27 win, Rivers threw the ball away at least four times, more than doubling his throwaway total for the season. Even trailing in the second half, he simply let the game come to him.

The result, even down two of his top three wide receivers, was one of his best overall games not only this season but, by some measures, in almost a full calendar year. It was the first time in 10 games Rivers was not intercepted, and it stopped a streak of two games with a lost fumble. His 118.1 rating was his highest since a 123.8 last Oct. 12 at Oakland.

Playing catch-up

Philip Rivers chuckled and said, “That was nice, to lead there early.”

Yes, Sunday’s 7-3 advantage, achieved on a touchdown with 48 seconds remaining, marked the first time in 10 games that the Chargers led at the end of the first quarter. That, of course, dates to last season.

The cushion lasted one minute, 38 seconds before the Browns tied the game. In all, the Chargers have led for just 32:10 out of the 240 minutes they have played this season.

Due a promotion?

There is more to the Chargers' lackluster return game than simply who is returning.

But perhaps, someone on the practice squad could provide a spark.

San Diego totaled 5 punt return yards in the first four games, fewest in franchise history and worst in the league. Likewise, the offense's average starting position following a kickoff is the 20-yard line, tied for sixth worst. Perhaps wide receiver Javontee Herndon can help.

Chargers Huddle daily newsletter

Sign up for our daily San Diego Chargers newsletter to get the latest news and analysis on the team from The San Diego Union-Tribune and from around the country. The best Chargers reporting, delivered to your inbox every day by 7 a.m. Don't miss out.

The likelihood of a move will gain clarity in the coming days.

But with wide receivers Malcom Floyd (concussion) and Stevie Johnson (hamstring) exiting Sunday's game and returner Jacoby Jones yet to practice since a Week 1 ankle injury, the second-year pro from Arkansas noticeably sits on the practice squad. He averaged 10.7 yards on nine punt returns this preseason with a long of 30.

The Chargers' previous low for punt return yards through the season's first four weeks was 25 in 2009.

Relative results

For some perspective at the season’s quarter pole, as questions abound about the Chargers defense’s ability to consistently keep teams from scoring, it is interesting to look at what the undefeated Cincinnati Bengals have done in their four games.

Cincinnati beat Chargers 24-19 in Week 2. That included touchdown drives of 19 and 38 yards.

The 24 points is the fewest the Bengals have scored. They beat Kansas City 36-21 on Sunday.

Nuts 'n' Bolts

• Tight end Antonio Gates was back at Chargers Park on Monday. The team must clear a spot before officially reinstating him, but his four-game suspension for violating the league's performance-enhancing drug policy is over. Gates' first practice will be Wednesday. "I know what kind of shape he's going to be in," coach Mike McCoy said. "He works so hard."

• Tight end Ladarius Green caught 14 of 18 passes for 174 yards and two touchdowns in the three games he played during Gates' absence. Be it sharing a field with Gates or spelling Gates to keep him fresh, Rivers said he anticipates Green remaining a "big part" of the offense.
      Go Rivers!

Comment

• Stinky Wizzleteats+
        Grammar Police
        • Jun 2013
        • Send PM

Tramon Williams told Northeast Ohio Media Group that the NFL told the Browns that he wasn't offside on the gamewinning field goal attempt by the Chargers. It prevented the Browns from going to overtime with a 27-27 tie.
        Go Rivers!

Comment

• Marshall/Boogie
          Registered Charger Fan
          • Jun 2013
          • Send PM

Originally posted by Stinky Wizzleteats+ View Post
          Well, that sure sucks for thr Browns and their fans.

However, I have little sympathy for them, as a Bolt fan. It's an early regular season game. They still have time to right the ship (lol).

It wasn't like, you know, a playoff game against a division rival where they lost on a play where the opposing team fumbled, then literally pushed, swatted and kicked the ball forward, then fell on it in the end zone for the winning score - and then have a new rule placed in "honor" of that horrific ending, now is it?
          Well.. you can at least see the croutons in the dark.

Comment

fender57
            • Jun 2013
            • Send PM

Originally posted by Marshall/Boogie View Post
            Well, that sure sucks for thr Browns and their fans.

However, I have little sympathy for them, as a Bolt fan. It's an early regular season game. They still have time to right the ship (lol).

It wasn't like, you know, a playoff game against a division rival where they lost on a play where the opposing team fumbled, then literally pushed, swatted and kicked the ball forward, then fell on it in the end zone for the winning score - and then have a new rule placed in "honor" of that horrific ending, now is it?
            That wasn't a playoff game, it was week 1 or 2 of the 1978 season.

Comment

• richpjr
              Registered Charger Fan
              • Jun 2013
              • Nashville
              • Send PM

Originally posted by 6025 View Post
              That wasn't a playoff game, it was week 1 or 2 of the 1978 season.
              Week 1 of the 1978 season.

Comment

fender57
                • Jun 2013
                • Send PM

Originally posted by richpjr View Post
                Week 2.

Comment

• Bolt-O
                  Administrator
                  • Jun 2013
                  • Send PM

Originally posted by richpjr View Post
                  Week 2.

Which helped Tommy Prothro get fired for Don Coryell after the 1-3 start. PSA 182 crashed the next day (September 25)

Comment

• Marshall/Boogie
                    Registered Charger Fan
                    • Jun 2013
                    • Send PM

Ohh, dang, I stand corrected! (Well, I was eight years old then, and I see I'm still getting things wrong ; ).
                    So, I guess I should have more sympathy for the Brownie fans..... nahhhh.
                    Well.. you can at least see the croutons in the dark.

Comment

Working...
                    X