• Steve
    Administrator
    • Jun 2013
    • South Carolina
    • Meteorologist
    • Send PM

Originally posted by AFboltfan View Post

:freakout:

Nightmare scenario... We lose KA or MW to injury, do you think Palmer and Guyton are playoff caliber WR's? I sure as hell don't... At least not by themselves. I'm not advocating for a WR in the 1st but if Jameson falls to 17, that would be a tough choice to pass for a 2nd or 3rd ranked OT or defensive player.
    The line of reasoning could apply to any position. Very, very few teams can afford to lose their top players and still have a chance to make a run at a SB. By the same token, I can't recall a single team that I would say has had all of it's holes filled when they won a SB. Every team has weaknesses. Part of the luck involved with winning a SB is that if we do lose someone, it is in such a way we can overcome the injury. The Giants won a SB with Phil Simms injured and an ancient OJ Anderson at RB, but their defense was amazing that year.

As far as who we draft at #17, the philosophy of taking position X or player Y goes out the window 99 times out of a 100 because the thing you really need to know is who are the 16 players who were taken ahead of us, and who is left for us. The key thing is that while it might be nice picking a player to upgrade a spot at 17, you damn sure don't want to reach on a player to fill a spot when there are better players still on the board, especially if they are at another position of need. Without knowing the other 16 players gone, it is all just too abstract.

Comment

• blueman
      Registered Charger Fan
      • Jun 2013
      • Send PM

Here’s something not abstract: expecting a different outcome without changing anything is [complete the thought here].

A top five O that can’t score a TD in OT is an O you make changes to.

Comment

• Maniaque 6
        French Speaking Charger Fan
        • Jan 2019
        • Québec city
        • Send PM

The Chargers are in position to wait and see.
        They can go BPA at different positions.

Comment

• Craig440
          Registered Charger Fan
          • Apr 2019
          • Send PM

I don't understand why people are so casual on Guyton and Palmer. Guyton is good. Our WR crew is good. I'd like to see Roberts back as he is a WR also.

(2) Jalen Guyton- 2020 Highlightsᴴᴰ - YouTube

Comment

• AFboltfan
            Registered Charger Fan
            • Nov 2018
            • Balboa Park bench
            • Medical Simulation
            • Send PM

Originally posted by Craig440 View Post
            I don't understand why people are so casual on Guyton and Palmer. Guyton is good. Our WR crew is good. I'd like to see Roberts back as he is a WR also.

They are good coming off the bench on certain designed plays for them, but a whole game as WR1 or WR2? maybe. All I'm saying is that WR should not be off the table in round 1 if something crazy happens and a guy like J Williams falls.

Comment

• Boltnut
              Registered Charger Fan
              • Feb 2019
              • Send PM

They are good coming off the bench on certain designed plays for them, but a whole game as WR1 or WR2? maybe. All I'm saying is that WR should not be off the table in round 1 if something crazy happens and a guy like J Williams falls.
              If you look at Chargers receiving targets from last year, Guyton is the #6 target for the Chargers.

Keenan = 157 targets
              Mike W. = 129 targets
              Ekeler = 94 targets
              Cook = 83 targets
              Palmer = 49 targets
              Guyton = 48 targets

I'm guessing that Everett gets as many targets this year as Cook got last year (80).
              I'm guessing that Palmer gets targeted about 70 targets this year.

If Jameson falls, it will be because teams don't believe he'll be ready for the first 6 or 7 games.
              I don't see us drafting JW if he's only getting 50-60 targets this year... a year we should be making a SB run.

I feel it's more important to protect your franchise QB. Getting the right side of the OL fixed helps everyone on offense.
              With the right side fixed, I believe we're a top-3 offense... and that also helps your defense (which has already been significantly improved through FA).

Comment

• Boltnut
                Registered Charger Fan
                • Feb 2019
                • Send PM

I would love to trade back and get an extra 3rd-rounder (or 2). I feel that there are some very good WR's that will be there in the 3rd. Guys that would contribute as much as a re-habbing JW. TPB members have posted many great WR options.

Comment

• AFboltfan
                  Registered Charger Fan
                  • Nov 2018
                  • Balboa Park bench
                  • Medical Simulation
                  • Send PM

Originally posted by Boltnut View Post

If you look at Chargers receiving targets from last year, Guyton is the #6 target for the Chargers.

Keenan = 157 targets
                  Mike W. = 129 targets
                  Ekeler = 94 targets
                  Cook = 83 targets
                  Palmer = 49 targets
                  Guyton = 48 targets

I'm guessing that Everett gets as many targets this year as Cook got last year (80).
                  I'm guessing that Palmer gets targeted about 70 targets this year.

If Jameson falls, it will be because teams don't believe he'll be ready for the first 6 or 7 games.
                  I don't see us drafting JW if he's only getting 50-60 targets this year... a year we should be making a SB run.

I feel it's more important to protect your franchise QB. Getting the right side of the OL fixed helps everyone on offense.
                  With the right side fixed, I believe we're a top-3 offense... and that also helps your defense (which has already been significantly improved through FA).
                  I agree with you, fixing the right side of the line is my priority too. I want Penning, but if they hypothetically got JW, Max Mitchell OT would be my choice in the 3rd.

Comment

• Boltnut
                    Registered Charger Fan
                    • Feb 2019
                    • Send PM

I agree with you, fixing the right side of the line is my priority too. I want Penning, but if they hypothetically got JW, Max Mitchell OT would be my choice in the 3rd.
                    What do you think about the possible 3rd round WR's...?

Alec Pierce
                    Alec Pierce was the leading receiver for Desmond Ridder and the undefeated Cincinnati Bearcats football team. Led the team in receptions, yards, and receivi...

Jalen Tolbert

Khalil Shakir

David Bell
                    All of the highlights from the insanely productive 3-year college football player David Bell.

It seems that all of these players would be better value than Max Mitchell.

Comment

• blueman
                      Registered Charger Fan
                      • Jun 2013
                      • Send PM

Originally posted by Craig440 View Post

Because who caught the game-winning TD in overtime against the Raiders? Highlights are great, scoreboard don’t lie.

.500 in one-score games. I love our revamped D, but these close games will still happen, and we need to better than 50% in them.

Comment

• equivocation
                        Registered Charger Fan
                        • Apr 2021
                        • Send PM

Guyton had 48 targets on 613 snaps. That's not a lot of production.

Comment

• blueman
                          Registered Charger Fan
                          • Jun 2013
                          • Send PM

Originally posted by equivocation View Post
                          Guyton had 48 targets on 613 snaps. That's not a lot of production.
                          It’s screaming for an upgrade is what that is.

Comment

Working...
                          X