Welcome Zion Johnson, OG, Boston College (R1, #17)

Collapse
X
Collapse
First Prev Next Last

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Xenos
    Registered Charger Fan
    • Feb 2019
    • Send PM

Originally posted by Formula 21 View Post

It’s almost like TT was trying to force Rivers to retire.
    Only took him seven years to get the job done lol. But no, TT’s FA and draft pickups in OL just never really worked out for very long for Rivers. Three years of quality OL play in 2013, 2017, and maybe 2018.

Comment

• TexanBeerlover
      Registered Charger Fan
      • Feb 2021
      • Send PM

Originally posted by Lone Bolt View Post
      Still pinching myself this morning...KG and Zion 2 of my favorite prospects, but how do you stump for boring old Guards on this forum? Still, I see few complaints, and that is awesome. By the way...love TT's opening response in the presser, which is definitely going in my post draft sig...."Guards are people too...":rofl:
      It’s been a hard sell, I know been on the Green bandwagon (Texan fan base in more disarray) but it’s about fans seeing results (Slater) keeping Herbert upright and changing what was only two years ago one of the worst OL in the NFL. To revamp that situation, takes investment and matching up profiles that fit.

I’ll take underrated pick to gain highest possible ceiling we all believe Justin Herbert has inside him. That’s the accelerator which will elevate this pick into “A” grade selection and addition on the Chargers roster :cheers:

Comment

• Steve
        Administrator
        • Jun 2013
        • South Carolina
        • Meteorologist
        • Send PM

The whole moving positions thing seems to be getting overrated. MOST NFL-caliber players can switch sides pretty easily. Not all, but most. And it is easier inside than outside. And plenty of guys make the transition. Besides, he played on the right side in HS and at Davidson. And most coaches make their entire OL do drills on both sides. Plenty of rookies make the transition when they get drafted.

When it becomes a problem is when guys don't get an extended chance to practice at a position when they are still learning. If a guy is used to taking the hard kick-step out of a left-handed stance (for example), and then is forced to switch sides in the middle of a game, then if he hasn't taken snaps at both sides, he may not get the depth or position out of the kick-step and/or have his hands reversed. But give a guy enough reps in practice, and it shouldn't be a big deal.

If he can't, then that is a problem. Many NFL teams only carry 8 OL, unless their LS is a backup OL, so if Zion can't play left/right, then that is a problem. We might have to shuffle the whole line sometime, and he may HAVE to play out of a right-handed stance.

Comment

• Fouts2herbert
          Charger Fan since 1978
          • Sep 2021
          • Send PM

Originally posted by Lone Bolt View Post
          Still pinching myself this morning...KG and Zion 2 of my favorite prospects, but how do you stump for boring old Guards on this forum? Still, I see few complaints, and that is awesome. By the way...love TT's opening response in the presser, which is definitely going in my post draft sig...."Guards are people too...":rofl:
          Take a bow, you got your guy!
          "The author assumes no responsibility or liability for any errors or omissions in the content of this post. The information contained in this post is provided on an "as is" basis with no guarantees of completeness, accuracy, usefulness or timeliness..."​​

Comment

• Ghost of Quacksaw
            Beef Before Gazelles
            • May 2021
            • Send PM

Originally posted by ghost View Post

What about Doug Wilkerson?!?

Comment

• Formula 21
              The Future is Now
              • Jun 2013
              • Republic of San Diego
              • Send PM

Originally posted by Bearded14YourPleasure View Post

We do have the Clapp to go with Jaimes for IOL depth. I mean I would love to bring Aboushi back too but I don’t think it happens unless the plan is to carry 10 OL.
              I expect the team to carry 10 OL including 4 OT. Plus another OT on the PS. Well maybe 9 if one guy is a swing guy.
              Now, if you excuse me, I have some Charger memories to suppress.
              The Wasted Decade is done.
              Build Back Better.

Comment

• Ghost of Quacksaw
                Beef Before Gazelles
                • May 2021
                • Send PM

Originally posted by blueman View Post
                Love it, best OG in the draft. Makes us better.
                Checks all the boxes:

Protects Herb

Improves run blocking, short yardage in particular

Improves pass blocking

The Chargers' ability to win the Time of Possession battle just improved.

Comment

• Ghost of Quacksaw
                  Beef Before Gazelles
                  • May 2021
                  • Send PM

Originally posted by gzubeck View Post
                  People might not think it's a sexy pick but I will say this....most Superbowl teams have very good offensive lines.
                  As I've said elsewhere, I'm more relieved than I am excited, but it's a WONDERFUL relief.

Comment

• Fouts2herbert
                    Charger Fan since 1978
                    • Sep 2021
                    • Send PM

Originally posted by Bearded14YourPleasure View Post

Clapp is the only backup we have with OC experience. Can we cut him? Sure. Then we need to address backup OC. Unless the plan is to have Zion as the backup OC and then you can plug Aboushi in at RG in his spot, but it seems like this regime prefers not to play musical chairs with the OL when injuries happen so that doesn’t make sense to me. I like Aboushi a lot and won’t complain at all if we do sign him but I think he deserves a chance to start somewhere and I don’t see that happening after this pick. Jaimes and Clapp are the backup IOL, Norton/Pipkins and a draft pick are backups at OT with us carrying 9 OL is my guess.
                    They carried 10 last year, slater, feiler, linsley, aboushi, bulaga, norton, pipkins, jaimes, quessenberry, and schofield. Then when bulaga made his quick exit they again filled the roster to ten OL with kelemete. You think because they have better quality on Oline now it means they’ll carry one fewer?

if the season started today, slater, feiler, linsley, johnson, pipkins, then norton is the swing, jaimes, clapp, and hunter? I don’t know if that’s good enough in a 17 game season…at minimum they need another tackle even if pipkins is penciled in as the starter.
                    "The author assumes no responsibility or liability for any errors or omissions in the content of this post. The information contained in this post is provided on an "as is" basis with no guarantees of completeness, accuracy, usefulness or timeliness..."​​

Comment

• Bearded14YourPleasure
                      Fluent in Sarcasm
                      • Jun 2013
                      • Iowa
                      • Man of the People
                      • Send PM

Staley came in and, like many coaches before him, said he wants to be a LOS team. Since then we have spent 2 of 2 1st round picks on OL, signed Linsley and Feiler to multi-year deals, traded for Mack, signed SJD and Austin Johnson to multi-year deals. Then you have the depth moves as well like Clapp and drafting Jaimes and Rumph, and we have 6 more rounds in this draft. If you’re an unhappy trencher it is solely by choice.

Comment

• powderblueboy
                        Registered Charger Fan
                        • Jul 2017
                        • Send PM

I like how Chris Jones job just got harder: Chargers didn't face him at DT last year.

Chris Jones running over Dan Feeney and those Chargers interiors was a huge problem in the past.

Poor PR.

Comment

• Boltjolt
                          Dont let the PBs fool ya
                          • Jun 2013
                          • Henderson, NV
                          • Send PM

Originally posted by UglyTruth View Post

The reason it didn’t work out is because he didn’t have Staley along with him telling him who to draft. Think about it every good OL selection (Slater) has been with Staley as HC.

I have confidence in this selection because of Staley’s involvement in it. Telesco has proven he can’t scout OL or DL (except Bosa) without Staley.
                          Says more about McCoy and Lynn and the collective scouts than Telesco.

Fact is we don't really know how their system works but seems the drafting has been better without Lynn involved.

Comment

Working...
                          X