Welcome Zion Johnson, OG, Boston College (R1, #17)

Collapse
X
Collapse
First Prev Next Last

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • sonorajim
    Registered Charger Fan
    • Jan 2019
    • Send PM

Originally posted by 21&500 View Post
    Glad to have such a high floor prospect
    the similarities with Slater is a great sign
    smart and works hard at his craft, I smell our future C

I also think there's a chance Feiler still moves to RT to mentor Zion at RG much the same way he did with Slater
    If this happens, it would make sense to me why tom and staley might not be honest about that before round 3.
    maybe we want teams to think we're targeting a RT when we'reactually not.
    Zion will play RT next to a very knowledgeable, talented Linsley, the man who sets the OL, makes their calls. Corey is a great mentor for Zion.

Comment

• Old Marine
      Registered Charger Fan
      • Sep 2014
      • Send PM

What kind of name is Zion

Comment

• Fouts2herbert
        Charger Fan since 1978
        • Sep 2021
        • Send PM

Originally posted by Velo View Post
        It's nice to have a plethora of weapons at WR for Herbert to crush opposing defenses with. But it's more important to build a wall around Herbert and protect him so he has time to hit his weapons.

The Chargers had a great OL early in the Rivers era, with Marcus McNeill, Kris Dielman, Nick Hardwick, Mike Goff and Shane Olivea. This line TT/Staley are putting together may the best yet.
        the sid gillman era featured some awesome lines as did the air coryell era with dan fouts. I wasn’t around for the early charger teams with ron mix and those guys but I remember that late 1970s charger team with the charger power line, shields, wilkerson, macek, white, and washington is the best I’ve seen in my lifetime as a charger fan, that includes the boss ross era that featured swayne, hall, and brock with different guards coming and going, the rivers era line isn’t even in the top five mcneil was okay, even dielman and hardwick are not enough to boost those lines goff had a good year or two tho
        "The author assumes no responsibility or liability for any errors or omissions in the content of this post. The information contained in this post is provided on an "as is" basis with no guarantees of completeness, accuracy, usefulness or timeliness..."​​

Comment

• Fouts2herbert
          Charger Fan since 1978
          • Sep 2021
          • Send PM

Originally posted by Old Marine View Post
          Your honor I object, relevance…

"The author assumes no responsibility or liability for any errors or omissions in the content of this post. The information contained in this post is provided on an "as is" basis with no guarantees of completeness, accuracy, usefulness or timeliness..."​​

Comment

• Fouts2herbert
            Charger Fan since 1978
            • Sep 2021
            • Send PM

Originally posted by Formula 21 View Post
            Remember when Jerrah was upset when we took Joey Bosa in front of him? Well I’ll bet Belicheat punched himself in the nuts when we took Zion.
            At that point in the draft he was one of 3-4 guys left with a first round grade. I’m surprised the cowboys and patriots passed on JJ tho, bill traded the guy that started opposite of judon last year and the cowboys lost their starter to the broncos. Instead both teams REACHED for offensive linemen.

Comment

• sonorajim
              Registered Charger Fan
              • Jan 2019
              • Send PM

Originally posted by Lone Bolt View Post
              Still pinching myself this morning...KG and Zion 2 of my favorite prospects, but how do you stump for boring old Guards on this forum? Still, I see few complaints, and that is awesome. By the way...love TT's opening response in the presser, which is definitely going in my post draft sig...."Guards are people too...":rofl:
              I'm an equal fan of great OL play at all positions. Larry Allen - Quenton Nelson, 2 of my favorites.

Comment

• powderblueboy
                Registered Charger Fan
                • Jul 2017
                • Send PM

Originally posted by Old Marine View Post
                They named a National Park after him: Zion Johnson is that good!

Comment

• Bolt4Knob
                  Registered Charger Fan
                  • Dec 2019
                  • Send PM

Originally posted by sonorajim View Post

I'm an equal fan of great OL play at all positions. Larry Allen - Quenton Nelson, 2 of my favorites.
                  I will take Steve Hutchinson or Zach Martin level
                  DeCastro even was pretty solid

Comment

• powderblueboy
                    Registered Charger Fan
                    • Jul 2017
                    • Send PM

Originally posted by AK47 View Post

Looking at this draft's results I'm convinced the Chargers would've drafted Green first before Zion and the Patriots would've drafted Zion but settled for Strange.
                    Zion Johnson is better suited to the Charger's zone blocking schemes than Green: who is a mauler.

From what i've been hearing, Johnson was their #1 interior Oline player.

Did the Chargers meet with him btw? What was up with the last minute meeting with Elam?

Comment

• Formula 21
                      The Future is Now
                      • Jun 2013
                      • Republic of San Diego
                      • Send PM

Originally posted by WindsorUK View Post

How's the gelato?
                      I’m in the middle of the Atlantic, approaching Funchal tomorrow. So no gelato yet.

I’m 8 hours ahead of San Diego so I went to bed at 3:30 this morning after the Bolts finally picked. It was a long draft day for me.
                      Now, if you excuse me, I have some Charger memories to suppress.
                      The Wasted Decade is done.
                      Build Back Better.

Comment

• Rambler
                        Registered Charger Fan
                        • Jun 2013
                        • No Cal
                        • Civil Research Attorney
                        • Send PM

Originally posted by powderblueboy View Post

Zion Johnson is better suited to the Charger's zone blocking schemes than Green: who is a mauler.

Did the Chargers meet with him btw? What was up with the last minute meeting with Elam?
                        When you are picking at 17, you can't know who might be gone until you're on the clock. What if New England or Dallas had traded up with Washington, and stolen Zion from us? We would have been forced to pick someone else. Maybe Elam was one of our contingencies, if our more preferred choices were all off the board.

Comment

• Fouts2herbert
                          Charger Fan since 1978
                          • Sep 2021
                          • Send PM

Originally posted by powderblueboy View Post

the chargers do this all the time, they don’t show their cards on who they like, Elam might’ve been in consideration but I think if zion was gone they would’ve picked mcduffie

Comment

Working...
                          X